Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Type of test needed (Germany <-> UK)

75 posts in this topic

This now from the gov website. Both sections apply (assuming you are vaccinated). The test procedure looks like it is just daft for a 1 or 2 day trip, but the fact you have to self-isolate pending results of a test you may not be in the UK long enough to take effectively prohibits that trip anyway.

If you’ll be in the UK for less than 10 days

You must still book your coronavirus tests, even if the date of your tests is later than the date you're planning to leave the UK. You'll only need to take the tests if you stay longer in the UK and you're here for the date of your tests.

If you’re fully vaccinated

You must:

• fill in a form on GOV.UK with details of where you’ll stay in the UK for 10 days after you arrive
  • book a coronavirus test to take on day 2 after you arrive - children under 5 years old don’t need to take a test
  • self-isolate until you get a negative coronavirus test result

Thank you people.

It is indeed currently a bit crap if you are going back for a flying visit for a specific purpose.

'If you will be in England for less than 2 days you still need to book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test.'

Currently we have a Rapid PCR booked with a 3 hour result at LCY. The code for this test is not accepted by the locator form, so I think we'll have to also book a day 2 test, which will be pointless. The rapid test is pre-departure. Why that is not offered for arrivals I do not understand. Stoopid.

It is an exercise in wasting money, but hey ho.

Please tell me returning is still OK for vaccinated individuals, or has Germany complicated things as well?

Apologies for the shouty large text. No idea :lol:

Well now we have a Day 2 test booked and paid for, so at least the Passenger Locator form is a happy bunny.

Why the Rapid 3hr PCR is not offered as a Day 2 alternative so that people on short trips can avoid isolating I do not understand. Paying for both is ridiculous. We have been somewhat forced into it by circumstances (well, BoJo) and at least it is just one of us travelling.

Flight was cancelled due to bad weather. You couldn't make it up.

Re-routed to LHR, the Rapid PCR is therefore useless at LCY. 

Managed to find a similar outfit in the carpark at LHR, new test booked.

It is impossible to describe the levels of stress here today...

38 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Managed to find a similar outfit in the carpark at LHR, new test booked.

Sounds like getting the tests sorted is a pain. For info though, does that mean that if you take a three hour PCR test at the airport, then you no longer have to isolate as soon as the three hours are up (assuming that is when you get negative results)?

Well, this is our assumption. We have not attempted to verify this, obviously, in case someone says 'no'.

The test is I think actually a LAMP test, but it is packaged as Rapid PCR. 

It is for departures rather than arrivals, but did the job. Now our kid will be back in DE tomorrow night, so the chances of anyone catching up with him to check on which precise test and who says it is acceptable are nil, so for us it is a bit neither here nor there, and he does have a valid PCR negative test (came through in exactly 3 hours). In other circumstances one might be a bit wary, but I can't really see why they would complain.

Also it's not like he sat in the airport carpark for 3 hours waiting - normally you get to where you are staying and then the test arrives often by post, you send it back, and you remain in that location until proven negative. He cracked on with his journey in a mask and got the result just about when he arrived. Obviously being on public transport was not ideal, but that was unavoidable.

Collinson is the outfit we used - with a discount code it was 55 for the useless-but-necessary-for-the-Passenger-locator-form Day 2 test, and 78 or something for the useful Rapid PCR (except he had to get a taxi to the tent in a carpark a mile over the airport). So it didn't come cheap. The Day 2 test you could find anywhere, the other one is much more difficult to find.

Thanks for the info. At least testing that way seems like a safe (as safe as these things can be in the circumstances) and pragmatic solution, irrespective of whether it completely ticked the various boxes.

Ha. Well. The plot thickened.

Kid came home, trip was successful (thankfully - so many people's effort went into this we'd have chucked him out in the snow if he'd failed :lol:).

Filled in the Einreiseanmeldungformular thing online before leaving the UK. It failed so he had to get it printed and do it again. Uploaded his Imfpass. Border guard was happy and told him he didn't need to quarantine.

This morning during first Pause, he gets an email from the Gesundheitsamt telling him to quarantine, else the police will get you etc. Cue a bit of a panic - the Sekre phoned the Amt to question the decision, and in the end, the Amt told the Schulleiter that the rules have changed and the kid must go straight home and isolate. Nothing the Schulleiter can do.

5 minutes after the kid got home, another email came, reminding him of the rules and that he needs to hochlade his Imfpass in order to get out of jail. :angry:

So in fact, all they needed to do was ask him to re-upload his Impfpass. 

Instead of creating a huge drama for the kid after 2 mornings of getting up at 5am (although to be fair they didn't know that bit), lying to another Beamter (the Head) to save face and wasting a whole school day. 

Bit pissed off really. 

At least he can go back for his Klausur tomorrow) 

On 11/29/2021, 8:24:50, kiplette said:

Why the Rapid 3hr PCR is not offered as a Day 2 alternative ... I do not understand. Paying for both is ridiculous.

You are making a valuable contribution to the economy.

(aka extortion by the "Government" - it is certainly one way to get cash out of bank accounts and into circulation.)

Oh no, Opti is in cynical mode again ! Someone shut her up.

On 12/3/2021, 7:54:04, optimista said:

You are making a valuable contribution to the economy.

(aka extortion by the "Government" - it is certainly one way to get cash out of bank accounts and into circulation.)

Oh no, Opti is in cynical mode again ! Someone shut her up.

You're my dream girl (provided I like everything ELSE about you...)!

Yes. German citizens can still travel. But now need a PCR test to return to Germany. Plus 14 days quarantine after arrival in Germany.

Link to my ongoing summary.

2 hours ago, ian said:

Yes. German citizens can still travel. But now need a PCR test to return to Germany. Plus 14 days quarantine after arrival in Germany.

Link to my ongoing summary.

awesome, thanks a lot @ian