Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Type of test needed (Germany <-> UK)

51 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, ian said:

thanks for the feedback

Yes many thanks for the checklist, very good indeed!

One question that came to mind was for me why ' 5 days before the flight (no later) book a '2-Day' test in the UK'. Maybe this is for delivery of the test.

I intend to book a sampling station test where I think I walk into the chemist, pick up the test, do the test there and give it to them to be collected. I assume the code will be pretty instant on booking the test, so it could be booked just before needing to fill the locator form out.

The other was, is the free Burgertest acceptable as proof of a negative test. I guess it's exactly the same as the paid test except you have to be a DE resident.

Thanks Again :rolleyes:

I wonder at the logic??? Increasing the risk of infection on the plane and then having to take and pay for a test that is too early to detect if anyone was infected on the plane.:wacko:

23 hours ago, DannyThru said:

Covid: Amber list scrapped as travel rules simplified - BBC News

• Most fully vaccinated travellers arriving from non-red list countries will no longer have to take a test before setting off for the UK.
  • All travellers - except children under five years old - will still have to pay for a PCR test two days after arrival.

From later in October, the government has said fully vaccinated people coming to England will no longer have to take a PCR test two days after arrival and can take a cheaper lateral flow test instead.

1 hour ago, DannyThru said:

From later in October, the government has said fully vaccinated people coming to England will no longer have to take a PCR test two days after arrival and can take a cheaper lateral flow test instead.

Any idea if you still have to book (and presumably pay for) something in advance or will you

1) Just be able to get a free test kit from Boots etc.and do it yourself?

Or

2) Get it done at a free walk in test centre?

I am about to book a day 2 test to be taken on my arrival at Manchester Airport. I would rather get it done there and then than have it hanging over me. Cost is about 55 pounds. Will I get it back if things change?. I doubt it.

Does the UK have extra testing requirements because of Brexit?

My understand is that you can travel between EU countries now if fully vaccinated, without tests or quarantine.

And I am flying Monday Finland->Austria followed by train Austria->Germany

57 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Does the UK have extra testing requirements because of Brexit?

Don't think it has much to do with brexit beyond no longer having to tow an EU line and being able to set up something that meets their own requirements! Note each country in the UK sets their own regulations on this and I believe for Scotland they maybe tougher!

Lateral flow tests to be introduced for vaccinated international arrivals - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Lateral flow tests to be introduced for vaccinated international arrivals

From 24 October fully vaccinated passengers and most under 18s arriving in England from countries not on the red list can take a cheaper lateral flow test, on or before day 2 of their arrival into the UK. These can be booked from 22 October.

What travellers from Europe need to know about new Covid entry rules in UK

The new requirements are set to come into force at 4am on Tuesday, November 30th.

Testing
This means that if you’re arriving in the UK after 4am on Tuesday, November 30th, you’ll need to book and take PCR tests instead of lateral flow tests, which will no longer be accepted.

You’ll need to take a PCR test by the end of the second day after arriving in the UK and self-isolate until you get a negative test result.

Quarantine requirements
This means you can only leave home if you need to buy essential supplies, such as food or medication (but only if no-one else can buy them for you), to take a test or for urgent medical care.

The potential problem with this change is that the UK testing system has been beset with problems.

For example, at least one private testing company is being investigated for failure to deliver PCR test results on time – or in some cases at all – meaning people could be stuck in quarantine for a long time.

And another is being looked into for providing thousands of incorrect negative results.

And Which? travel editor Rory Boland expressed concern about the testing companies and how they would cope with the additional demand, as he details in the below tweet, meaning people could be stuck in quarantine for days.

Forms to fill in
If you’re due to arrive before 4am on November 30th, you can complete the required Passenger Locator Form now, but if you’re arriving after that time, you’ll need to return to the website after 4am on Monday, November 29th as the system is being updated.

You need to fill one of these forms in, even if you’re just passing through the UK, and it needs to be completed 48 hours or less before you start your journey.

Lack of clarity
However, a few things remain unclear, including what the requirements are for people who are entering the UK for less than two days, and whether these could rule out short business trips. 

The government is expected to reveal further details this week and we will be update this article as soon as further information is available.

Other restrictions
Wearing face masks on public transport and in shops will also be mandatory again in England from Tuesday. 

They are still required in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland on public transport and many indoor spaces.

Thanks for this - very helpful and timely, esp. the filling in the form after 4am Monday - this is probably why the locator form won't accept the test code tonight - we'll try again tomorrow.

On 13/08/2021, 10:34:07, DannyThru said:

Sorry to ask a really dumb question, and this has been covered off already about a billion and one times, but I am still super confused:

Background –

I am double vaccinated in Germany (BioNtech/Pfizer), with the 2nd in early July.

On 8th September, I plan to fly with Eurowings from Duesseldorf to Birmingham.

i.e.

• fly from Germany to the UK,

• stay in the UK for approx. 2.5 weeks

• fly back to Germany (directly from the UK)

question is just about tests –

I am clear that I need a day 2 PCR test in the UK, booked in advance, all obvious.

Do I also need a PCR test for flying each way?

Or can I get away with an antigen  / lateral flow test? - I only ask as they are a bit cheaper.

If this is simply too silly to ask, then no worries.

I just wanted to make sure I don’t have any issues / do anything wrong.

All advice definitely welcome at this stage please!!!!!!!!

Your vaccination immunity will be zero, so forget the the rules and stay at home and save humanity!

OK we are struggling with it now.

Any news on what you do if you are travelling for a short trip?

Well, I was due to be back in the UK (first time in 2 years) for a meeting next Thursday...I've just cancelled.

I did so after spending a few hours looking at the various announcements (which haven't fed through to the gov.uk site yet).

My understanding is: you now need to book a PCR test prior to arrival in the UK (which can be delivered to a hotel) whether or not you are fully vaccinated. That test is to be taken on day 2 (by which stage I would be heading back to Germany), BUT prior to receiving a favourable result from the PCR test, you are supposed to isolate.

We were hoping to go back for Christmas and finally see the family, but even that is looking difficult...again.

1 minute ago, dstanners said:

Well, I was due to be back in the UK (first time in 2 years) for a meeting next Thursday...I've just cancelled.

I did so after spending a few hours looking at the various announcements (which haven't fed through to the gov.uk site yet).

My understanding is: you now need to book a PCR test prior to arrival in the UK (which can be delivered to a hotel) whether or not you are fully vaccinated. That test is to be taken on day 2 (by which stage I would be heading back to Germany), BUT prior to receiving a favourable result from the PCR test, you are supposed to isolate.

We were hoping to go back for Christmas and finally see the family, but even that is looking difficult...again.

Just a quick correction to that...the test needs to be taken before the end of day 2. So it can be done from as soon as you land. I'll be doing that, should I get to make it that far come christmas time.