Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Type of test needed (Germany <-> UK)

18 posts in this topic

Sorry to ask a really dumb question, and this has been covered off already about a billion and one times, but I am still super confused:

 

Background –

I am double vaccinated in Germany (BioNtech/Pfizer), with the 2nd in early July.

 

On 8th September, I plan to fly with Eurowings from Duesseldorf to Birmingham.

 

i.e.

  • fly from Germany to the UK,

  • stay in the UK for approx. 2.5 weeks

  • fly back to Germany (directly from the UK)

 

 

 

question is just about tests –

I am clear that I need a day 2 PCR test in the UK, booked in advance, all obvious.

 

Do I also need a PCR test for flying each way?

Or can I get away with an antigen  / lateral flow test? - I only ask as they are a bit cheaper.

 

If this is simply too silly to ask, then no worries.

I just wanted to make sure I don’t have any issues / do anything wrong.

 

All advice definitely welcome at this stage please!!!!!!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DannyThru said:

Sorry to ask a really dumb question, and this has been covered off already about a billion and one times, but I am still super confused:

 

 

 

Background –

 

I am double vaccinated in Germany (BioNtech/Pfizer), with the 2nd in early July.

 

 

 

On 8th September, I plan to fly with Eurowings from Duesseldorf to Birmingham.

 

 

 

i.e.

 

  • fly from Germany to the UK,

     

  • stay in the UK for approx. 2.5 weeks

     

  • fly back to Germany (directly from the UK)

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

question is just about tests –

 

I am clear that I need a day 2 PCR test in the UK, booked in advance, all obvious.

 

 

 

Do I also need a PCR test for flying each way?

 

Or can I get away with an antigen  / lateral flow test? - I only ask as they are a bit cheaper.

 

 

 

If this is simply too silly to ask, then no worries.

 

I just wanted to make sure I don’t have any issues / do anything wrong.

 

 

 

All advice definitely welcome at this stage please!!!!!!!!

 

 

 

Use the Search box, try something like 

 

"uk germany travel"

 

You will find lots of answers there

 

We do not need to repeat the same subjects 10 times here, because then you will miss stuff, even that you did not think about and it makes it hard to index the stuff

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the rules:

 

Quote

- take a COVID-19 test – you must take the test in the 3 days before you travel to England
- book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test – to be taken after arrival in England
- complete a passenger locator form

 

So, it looks like you are in control of point 2.

 

Point 1, testing. Rules here. An antigen test is fine. My parents did this a couple of weeks ago, no problem. Just note, it has to be done in one of the 3 days before you travel, not on the day of travel (if I understand the rules correctly).

 

Point 1, make sure to fill out the passenger locator form in the 48hours before you travel.

 

For your return, just make sure to complete the German passenger locator form. Any kids (as they are not vaccinated) will have to quarantine for 5 days.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, theGman said:

Here are the rules:

 

 

So, it looks like you are in control of point 2.

 

Point 1, testing. Rules here. An antigen test is fine. My parents did this a couple of weeks ago, no problem. Just note, it has to be done in one of the 3 days before you travel, not on the day of travel (if I understand the rules correctly).

 

Point 1, make sure to fill out the passenger locator form in the 48hours before you travel.

 

For your return, just make sure to complete the German passenger locator form. Any kids (as they are not vaccinated) will have to quarantine for 5 days.

really super @theGman, thank you so much

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cost of NHS Covid tests for UK arrivals from green countries reduced.

This headline was on the BBC this morning. The reduction was from 88 pounds to 66 pounds. Worth having.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Germany was put on the green list last week by England so I  understand no quarantine required . However a couple of days later an amendment was added by them to say if you have had a mixed vaccines then this would not count as being fully vaccinated,

As I understand it this means quarantine and testing for those amongst use who have had a combination of vaccines. Something which I believe is fairly common on Germany.    Happy to be corrected if I've understood the situation wrongly.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2021, 12:09:50, yesterday said:

 

 

Use the Search box, try something like 

 

"uk germany travel"

 

You will find lots of answers there

 

We do not need to repeat the same subjects 10 times here, because then you will miss stuff, even that you did not think about and it makes it hard to index the stuff

 

 

 

 

What a nasty pointless answer. Information from 3 days ago might be invalid. So it's prudent to ask what is the situation today.

 

It reminds me of trying to find a solution in Ubuntu. You find answers there are 15, 7, and 3 years old. All doing roughly the same thing, except the commands/files or whatever have changed again, and the old information; easy to google is worthless.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

 

What a nasty pointless answer. Information from 3 days ago might be invalid. So it's prudent to ask what is the situation today.

 

It reminds me of trying to find a solution in Ubuntu. You find answers there are 15, 7, and 3 years old. All doing roughly the same thing, except the commands/files or whatever have changed again, and the old information; easy to google is worthless.

Respectively dis agree with you .

 

Keeping things in once place saves time and effort, its liker  making a cake, store the ingredients a long with the cook book in the same place then they are easier to find, if you store everything in different places they are hard to find.

 

OK, we have google to help, to search for where ever you have put all the ingredients s in different places.

 

But would it not be easier, if google reported all the information in just one result line ???

 

By starting multiple threads for the same subject, you have to go through several places to maybe find the information you what, there is no reason to start a new thread it just adds a layer of confusion, over a story like travelling from A to B, get all the info in one place, the OP could have just quoted the last post   in one of the other threads, thus reducing the number of threads people have to read here to get some information.

 

By quoting and older post, it will still appear in the list of recent activity and maybe on the home page, the reason why you have to use Google with Ubuntu, is that there is no good central place to get the info, with travelling GE UK, the info is all over the place

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The term double-vaccinated is confusing... the single vaccine comprises one or two doses, depending on the vaccine. When you say double vaccinated, I picture that you got fully vaccinated twice, and not that you got two shots of the single vaccine. So, someone who got the J&J vaccine would say they were single-vaccinated? Nope.

 

You're just fully vaccinated :)

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I may just check please quickly:

 

i)

For flying back from the UK to Germany,  do I absolutely need a PCR test which is less than 48 hours old, right?

i.e. no other test will do, right?

It has to be a PCR test, right?

 

ii)

I will be in the UK in postcode B93 visiting my parents.

I assumed that I would probably have to go for a postal PCR test which I can send back via royal mail 1st class.

I am just concerned about the ‘tight’ turn-around.

 

 

(For travelling from Germany back to the UK, I seem to have 72 hours to play with, which gives me room to breathe).

 

Does anyone have any recommendations of a reliable one on the UK side please?

(it certainly doesn’t have to be the cheapest, but ideally if it is not an absolute rip-off either, then that would also be helpful )

 

I have tried looking ta the gov.uk’s own website, but I just feel like it is an absolute farce –

Either they:

  • are sold out

  • actually cost something like £50- £100 rather than £20 (as they are supposedly advertising).

  • Or for 'click and collect' , expect me to travel to the centre of London from B93

 

 

 

 

I only ask as the information has still been changing over the last weeks from time to time.

I therefore would just like to benefit from someone else’s experience who is maybe in exactly the same position as me.

i.e. wants to visit elderly parents who they haven’t seen for nearly 2 years.

I mean, that is why we are all here on this forum in the first place , right?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DannyThru said:

For flying back from the UK to Germany,  do I absolutely need a PCR test which is less than 48 hours old, right?

 

Here is my UK Travel Checklist based on my experience as a fully vaccinated UK+German citizen last week. It could answer many of your questions.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ian said:

 

Here is my UK Travel Checklist based on my experience as a fully vaccinated UK+German citizen last week. It could answer many of your questions.

HOLY F**KING SH1T, this is totally incredible.

 

thanks an absolute million indeed !!!!

 

wow, just wow.

cheers.

 

it sounds exactly like me in almost every single sense!!!!!!!

 

invaluable.

you deserve a medal.

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should have asked here before starting  another thread.  Would someone please tell me where they got their antigen test? I'm flying back next week and I and my wife will need one. Thanks

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rodisi said:

I should have asked here before starting  another thread.  Would someone please tell me where they got their antigen test? I'm flying back next week and I and my wife will need one. Thanks

not sure if this helps, but i will post it anyway:       Schnelltest24.eu in der Halle Gartlage in Osnabrück

 

they are definitely in line with the minimum test percentage criteria for accuracy.

they also give you the results in English with your name, address, DoB etc.

 

just saying....

if i am wrong, then so be it.

but i love this forum, and when people help me i am incredibly grateful, so i thought i might try and help a bit back!!!

 

:-)

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2021, 12:41:59, ian said:

 

Here is my UK Travel Checklist based on my experience as a fully vaccinated UK+German citizen last week. It could answer many of your questions.

hi Ian, 

may i trouble you potentially one last time please?

 

 

- did you have to quarantine when you came back to Germany from the UK please?

 

 

i am also a fully vaccinated UK+German citizen.

as always , i just wanted to try and be 100% sure.

 

if you have time to answer, i would be very grateful of course.

but no pressure at all and no rush either!

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/08/2021, 12:44:41, DannyThru said:

hi Ian, 

may i trouble you potentially one last time please?

 

 

- did you have to quarantine when you came back to Germany from the UK please?

 

 

i am also a fully vaccinated UK+German citizen.

as always , i just wanted to try and be 100% sure.

 

if you have time to answer, i would be very grateful of course.

but no pressure at all and no rush either!

 

 

Returning to Germany from the UK I did not need to quarantine. The reason stated that it is not necessary as I am fully vaccinated. 
I also did not need to take any test. I just needed to fill in the online form and upload proof of vaccination.
This official page (in English) states "Proof of vaccination is equivalent to a negative test result". The UK was rated a High Risk area and not a Variant of concern area on those pages.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0