When did German TV decline?

32 posts in this topic

On 13/08/2021, 09:33:40, warsteiner70 said:

I don't think it's just German TV. Ever since the casting shows, reality tv, etc. came along in the late 90's/early 00's TV in general has gone massively downhill and that will be the same in most countries. Pretty much the same TV programs are shown on TV in Germany and the UK, just in a different language and while you get the odd decent program here and there in both countries, you really need to search through a lot of rubbish to find anything decent.

I normally stick to the documentary type channels (ZDF Info, Phoenix, etc.) on German TV with a smattering of the odd English/US TV show and one or two series from Netflx/Amazon.

You've hit the point for me at least. Since at least 15 years English "entertainment" has plummeted from Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, even Mr Bean

To a bunch of celebrities laughing at each other's non jokes. I guess someone somewhere believes that enough celebrities laugh their laughter will be infectious. As somebody who finds people who laugh at nothing funny really annoying; this trend in English humour is horrific.聽

How come no-one has mentioned Tatort? I've only recently started to get into them. I guess they're sort of an acquired taste. They can be all sorts: social commentary, black humour, soap opera etc.

Football coverage is also pretty decent, but the commentary annoys me. There are two commentary channels usually on ARD, one (the standard commentary) sounds like a guy sitting on his couch and trying not to fall asleep, who namechecks maybe one player in ten, the other commentary is the audiodescription which gives a lot more detail, but neither one has any personality, humour or analysis.

Kids tv is pretty good, particularly news for kids.

Comedy is sorely lacking. Occasionally there's a sketch show that's watchable.

There are a couple of quiz shows with fast questions that are pretty good.

And there seems to be an infinite number of execrable talk shows where people sit in a circle and talk about whatever it is Germans talk about when they're having coffee and cakes.

German TV= liberal state run news with no real objective views, Hartz IV people living in tower block apartments, fake cop shows, reality shows about Germans moving to Mallorca to start a German restaurant, reality shows about some German looking for her us soldier father who abandoned the family and fairly educational kids television.

To be honest, I rarely watch German TV in our days since I moved back to Germany in 2011. When I was a child, back in the 1980s we used to have Swiss and Austrian TV in our area next to Switzerland and Austria.聽All the children in primary school used to watch the more interesting children麓s programme on ORF1 or documentaries on ORF 2 and later, from the 1990s on, when RTL and SAT 1 were launched until the early 2000s with all the new trash TV channels many聽still preferred ORF as they used to show movies and sports events without the annoying ads.

And the news, especially on SRF1, were more detailed concerning all parts of the world and showing also positive news from African and Asian , South and Central American countries...Finally, ORF and SRF had been removed from聽the cable network and replaced by useless Super RTL, RTL2, TELE5,Volksmusik TV,..

MTV from London and New York聽 ( Yo ! Rap, Unplugged, MTV news,..)聽had unfortunately to make place for a German version from Berlin on free TV.

First at all, German TV is lacking diversity and a less German centred worldview. While in German TV shows聽聽"general knowledge" is defined about German success in聽sports, German actors and "schlager" singers, most other countries define it about someone麓s knowledge in the fields of Geography, Science, Politics and World History.聽

In their news, German TV channels should also report about (also sometimes positive) events in other regions of the world apart from Germany, Western Europe, Russia and the US.聽Most of the private channels are quite trashy and some shows seem to be even some kind of sexist or supporting bullying fitting the "Ellbogengesellschaft". "World news" in their opinion are bull**** like:聽A聽certain singer claims himself "king of Mallorca" or another one married a 18 years old fan, Germany麓s next top model X got a boob job,...the situations in Yemen or Ethiopia for example, are聽hardly mentioned.

A few German TV channels I find quite interesting are Arte, ZDF Neo, NTV but the majority on the private channels are really quite trashy about "reality stars", cheap dating or聽exposing the life of people depending on welfare or of some new "super" rich.

聽I am neither interested in the "Jungle Camp", nor DSDS, Tatort or any news about a certain D. Bohlen, Wendler or any people who became famous for having started a "career" in Majorca麓s hospitality industry without having the slightest idea or training in the tourism sector or hotel business (mostly without any language skills apart from German and a very few basic words in Spanish)聽becoming "heroes" and playing the "big boss" whilst聽sending their children to a German private school and聽the average qualified and multilingual hospitality employee is considered "unskilled" or incompetent...

Game shows are mostly weak copies from their British or American original who are much more worth watching as they require a wider general knowledge for their participants (while their German versions are mostly focussing on German聽centred subjects defined as "Allgemeinbildung" ). Neither do I like these less trashy entertainment shows with "Joko & Klaas ? or Barbara Sch枚neberger and T. Gottschalk. I am a white, almost middle aged聽 and educated European female but I always feel annoyed to see this bunch of all tall, all blonde, wannabe stars and "Bildungsb眉rger" including G眉nther Jauch. 聽Additionally one issue I feel quite a lot ashamed of: It is still possible on German TV聽to show political discussions about racism in a group of white old men who insist on their "right" to use the N-word and people like a certain T. Sarrazin can spread their prejudiced worldviews even among the "middle of society".

We sometimes do watch French TV and my son is still in the age where KIKA ( Logo news, Wissen macht ah,..)can be quite interesting. If I watch TV it is mostly on the internet via "Hoola TV" (offering a large choice of TV channels from the UK as聽BBC, Channel 4, Food Network, Film 4,...) 聽The worst I麓ve heard about聽must be 聽"BILD TV" (even at the current political situation in certain European countries I couldn麓t imagine that they would invent such a thing as "SUN TV or Daily Mail TV" ) and RTV Germany "catering" to the ignorant,聽AfD supporting, racist, xenophobe mostly antivaccine ("Querdenker") part of the population...

7 hours ago, lake.c. said:

To be honest, I rarely watch German TV

Well, you could have fooled me.聽:blink:

What about German radio? I gave up listening to that a while ago.

The background music, jingles, Dudelei, English being played under the German translation on the Flagship deutschland funk nearly made me smash my receiver.

And why so many channels?

33 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

What about German radio? I gave up listening to that a while ago.

The background music, jingles, Dudelei, English being played under the German translation on the Flagship deutschland funk nearly made me smash my receiver.

And why so many channels?

Same here, especially the listen to while driving at 7 in the morning radio. The jibbering and fake laughing and this: "Wehee, it's morning and we are all happy!" Kind of radio. ANETNNE BAYERN looking at you.聽

@lake.c.: I have ORF and SRF (1,2 and Info) on the cable in Munich with provider M-Net. Yesterday, I saw Le Mans 66 in English on SRF1.聽Pro7 also showed that movie, but in German with 45 minutes of advertising in total.

Just a heads up.

ZDF App allows you to choose the language with some UK/US broadcasts. Stumbled on this by chance, a BBC/ZDF聽series "Around The world in 80 Days" with David Tennant and today "The Bay".

There is hope ;)

So does the ARD Mediathek聽App (most frequently for a subchannel called "One", I think). Shows on One offered in English as well as in German currently include Doctor Who, Murdoch Mysteries, Berlin Station, State of the Union, Torchwood and Catastrophe.聽:)