Who to vote for, Bundestagswahl 9/26/2021?

58 posts in this topic

I will be voting in my first Bundestagswahl and I will definitely be voting in person this first time round. Probably a fifth of the people in the polling station where I will cast my vote will be voting for the vile AfD. I urge anyone with a right to vote on the 26th to do so and to vote for any party that respects basic human dignities and respects democracy. Doesn't matter who it is, as long as it's not for the AfD or similar. Die Basis can fuck off too.

The AfD posters with "Deutschland, aber normal" are a fucking insult to minorities like us. It's a sly way of being racist, homophobic and whatnot without saying it. Goebbels would be proud.

Agree with murphaph about 'aliens fuer Deutschland'. Round here Left-wing people tear down the afd adverts, very good.

While I was teaching this morning, a student told me that she did the Wahlomat yesterday and it came up with the AfD as her number one choice.  She was horrified at this as it is not a party she would support at all.  She has some strong views which we have often talked about, but they have always been reasonable to me, so coming up with AfD is worrying.  She is old enough to make her own decision, but some younger voters might be influenced by such an answer.

The Wahlomat should have a catch all question like "are you a racist pig?" and anyone who answers 'no' should never have the AfD suggested to them as their closest match. It would be interesting to see what she answered to the questions though...

I went through the Wahlomat, but I missed the statement “Freibier für Alle”. You see, that would get my vote 🍺.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

The Wahlomat should have a catch all question like "are you a racist pig?" and anyone who answers 'no' should never have the AfD suggested to them as their closest match. It would be interesting to see what she answered to the questions though...

I called at the npd stand, took some info to read at home. None of the racist policies were mentioned! I think there was something about improving rail services even, better schools etc, who is against that? They keep quiet about the nasty policies.

If one has time and inclination, getting in to conversation with the Nasty Parties Deutschland (npd, afd) could be worthwhile, not arguing, just occupying them so they can not talk to passing floating voters. If they noticed my accent, I should point out that I am a German citizen too, so can not be deported.  

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

I urge anyone with a right to vote on the 26th to do so and to vote for any party that respects basic human dignities and respects democracy. Doesn't matter who it is, as long as it's not for the AfD or similar. Die Basis can fuck off too.

Absolutely agree. I'm at a loss at which party to vote for. Don't trust any of them and their promises. But that's me from very early on as an adult whether UK or Germany, which are the countries I have ever lived in alternately. Can't stand the countdown phase just before the elections. They're all bloody lying anyway. But, still,  I'll cast my vote anyway , though not for the AfD. 

One of my neighbours is from Brandenburg. I've spoken to him involuntary a few times and I bet he'll be voting AfD. We are not on speaking terms at all due to his unsavoury behavour. Since the European football championship games in June/July this year he has a HUGE German flag with eagle hanging from his balcony. The games are over and it's still there. I don't have anything against the German flag, but this is some kind of statement - especially after the games are over, which turns my stomach. I'm forced to see it several times a day when I go out with the dog. I'd feel the same if it was a massive Union Jack in a garden somewhere in the UK. I'm not in favour of flag waving of any kind. This kind of national pride is suspect. This might be because I'm a product of bicultural upbringing of two nations that were at war with each other shortly before my birth. 

Plenty of flag wavers around here (in Brandenburg, though it's very mixed as there are so many "Zugezogene aus Berlin" as our constituency directly borders the city). People who fly the German flag year round are generally going to be very right wing. That's just a fact. I've even seen Reichsbürger signs around here, warning the police not to enter their property lol. Some right fruitcakes. The AfD candidate in 2017 got a disgraceful 18% of first preferences. It's everyone's responsibility to vote for any party that believes in the constitution at least.

Kid#3 just finished working with the Citipost - she delivered leaflets for various parties, and we did get an AfD one through our own door, which was very useful for soaking up damp from inside a pair of trainers, but thank goodness she wasn't expected to deliver any herself. I think she would have found it hard not to burn them/chuck them in the river.

Tbf, she found the whole thing offensive -so much paper, so many resources - there are better ways to disseminate information in this modern world with its climate crisis. 

I vote for the green party. Always have. As long as climate remains the biggest issue facing humanity. Happy for someone to change my mind though.

23 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Saw an spd slogan: 'cheaper train tickets instead of more expensive petrol!' Not sure what to think.

Not much use if they are on strike...

I have no idea who said it,  but it's true: Wählen ist wie Zähneputzen. Wenn man es nicht macht,  wird's braun.  

-> voting is like brushing your teeth. If you don't do it, things turn brown. 

I have already sent off my ballot.  The most difficult decision so far. 

Climate protection will be the topic of the century, but as long as the Grüne try very hard to take away some of my personal freedom with idiotic arguments, lie - on EU level - about changing a bill about antibiotics use in such a way that German vets sounded a huge alarm because it would mean they could not treat some pets properly anymore and remain mostly hostile towards the industry,  even those that are really trying, and towrds solutions that do not fit the ideology, I am very sceptical.

It's quite sad because there was a time when the Realos in the green party were keen on finding solutions to problems not just forbis things that didn't fit their ideology. 

The question to ask the candidates just occurred to me: "was wollen Sie anders machen als bisher?" / what do you intend to differently from what has been done in the past?

I do not suppose the candidates standing* for re-election could answer convincingly.

* they stand for election once in four years, then they sit down and earn 10 000 € a month plus extras.

I would vote for Die Linke as they favor a higher minimum wage, more taxes for the rich, less taxes for the middle class and german yout of NATO. Also nationalistion of large landlords like Deutsche Wohnen.

1 hour ago, mike kelly said:

I would vote for Die Linke as they favor a higher minimum wage, more taxes for the rich, less taxes for the middle class and german yout of NATO. Also nationalistion of large landlords like Deutsche Wohnen.

I agree with your first point.

The tax aspect is admirable, but Germany already has some of the highest income tax rates in the world (the top marginal rate is 45%) and to the Linke, you're considered "rich" if you earn more than 50-60k/year. So be careful what you wish for there. 

I don't know why anyone besides Putin (or perhaps Xi) would want Germany out of NATO. Germany clearly gets way more bang for its buck out of membership than if it had to go it alone.

As to the nationalization of Deutsche Wohnen and other large landlords: it's a nice notion, but when you think about it, does it really make sense for Berlin to spend 25-40 billion euros to buy the companies out (estimates of the true cost of purchasing the properties vary widely), with the end effect that not a single new apartment will be created? Wouldn't it be more sensible to spend those billions subsidizing new construction, either through direct funding or through generous discounts on buying state-owned land for building cooperatives?

Last but not least, Die Linke are the direct heirs of the corrupt GDR regime and also tend to attract some of the worst politicians ever to enter the business this side of the AfD (see Oskar "Sore Loser" Lafontaine and Sarah "Mercedes Marxist" Wagenknecht).

Can't vote, but got 62% SPD. Not surprised, really.

Plus, the SPD are the only viable party that seems to want to allow full dual citizenship. Let's see if it'll come to fruition in a coalition.

I can't vote but for sure I would not vote AFD, Die Linke nor the current idiot from CDU.

My results gave similar values across all parties, between 43% and 53%, which matches my expectations, as I have many extreme positions in both sides of the spectrum.

FDP was the highest agreement. Die Linke was the worst.

As I like to vote for smaller parties to increase plurality of opinions, I would probably vote FDP, although I don't consider myself a libertarian.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Last but not least, Die Linke are the direct heirs of the corrupt GDR regime and also tend to attract some of the worst politicians ever to enter the business this side of the AfD (see Oskar "Sore Loser" Lafontaine and Sarah "Mercedes Marxist" Wagenknecht).

At least Sarah looks hot 😎.

If I don’t weigh the statements, I end up with the Pirates, otherwise it’s a close call between die Grünen/CDU/SPD.

The Linke want to level up and help poor people, very good. Perhaps Germany could stop manufacturing beastly expensive cars for people with too much money, too.

No need to nationalise rented property in my small town in the East, I rent from an organisation founded 1960 and NEVER privatised.

Who might be the best-looking politician (m/w/d)? Merkel had a maedchenhafte Charme, 30 years ago.