Bundestagswahl 26th of September 2021

120 posts in this topic

I can vote in the Federal Government election on 9.26, but I am not sure who I should choose (first vote, second vote?). I hardly knew who my representatives were until a couple weeks ago, although I read the local newspaper frequently, but now there are images of them all over.

I know a couple of parties do not like the likes of us, but which normal party should I vote for, and why?

13 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

I know a couple of parties do not like the likes of us, but which normal party should I vote for, and why?

And who exactly are 'the likes of us' and why do you think some political parties don't like you?

I don't know whether you are trying to get a discussion going here but you shouldn't be asking for people to tell you who you should vote for and why. You should be doing the research yourself and then making your own decision as to who you want to vote for if you want to vote. Just because you are eligible to vote, it doesn't mean you have to.

If you want to see, which parties agree with some of the things that are important to you then have a look at the Wahl-O-Mat, which will be available from the 2nd Sep - https://www.bpb.de/politik/wahlen/wahl-o-mat/

16 hours ago, Keleth said:

Sorry but your sarcasm has gone right over my head here.

6 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

You should be doing the research yourself

Political compass is a nice academic reference, but it is of zero help regarding elections. 

If you want to know the answer to the question how CDU is positioned on a scale between Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Francisco Franco, Margareth Thatcher etc. 

But other than giving you a historical perspective what use it is of now? 

Wahl-O-Mat is not ideal either, but much better. 

I sort of agree with you @yourkeau but political compass does at least have the advantage that it is English and the parties can be compared with those in other countries etc to see roughly how things correspond to your particular views.

The campaign is hotting up, only five weeks to go, but Merkel might have to stay on for a while until a coalition is agreed. The greens have moved to the centre, seem a bit watery, not sure where else their voters might go.

The FDP is moving away from the former meaning of its name (fast drei Prozent, nearly three procent).

The candidates are appearing in town so I shall be able to meet them personally. Glad I can vote by post, no need to go to the polling station on a Sunday.

Is there a 'wahl-omat? i remember a while ago there was a thing where you would answer questions like, 'Was Hitler a good guy?' yes, no, maybe. and at the end it helped you  decide who to vote for...

Just got my Wahlbenachrichtigung, notice of poll, today. I apply for a postal vote of course, to avoid visiting the voting location on 9/26.

Looks like Scholz is moving up through the middle, the SPD is leading the polls for the first time in many years, he is apparently boring. A desirable quality perhaps.

On 22.8.2021 17:51:38, RenegadeFurther said:

Will the cdu stick with laschet? The man will destroy the cdu and cdu.

Surely. Changing now would be madness.

The CDU can regroup in opposition.

There are various options, but the question is: can they deliver?

SPD are promising a Minimum wage of 12€/h. But with the high inflation rate (worsened by Corona) and the increased living costs in Germany, is that enough?

CDU is polling worse than ever, but still popular among businesses. The right-leaning parties incl. FDP won't increase taxes which is a big relief for businesses. 

What I haven't seen yet is a poster promising "Bezahlbare Wohnungen". If you for example live in Frankfurt and earn 12€/h, you are still paying more than 50% of your salary in rents. 

It's interesting to see how it will all end in this year's election. 

Looks like Laschet has got Friedrich Merz on board, the one who owns two planes.

Saw an spd slogan: 'cheaper train tickets instead of more expensive petrol!' Not sure what to think.

Hoping to accost my local candidate tomorrow.

Just don't vote for the Debased Democracy Party...erm, I mean Die Basisdemokratische Party.

According to Wahl-o-mat I should vote for the Pirate party. It must be my seaside roots...although the other day someone posted a picture of an unmanned, automatic tanker (from Norway I believe), which did make me think a career change to piracy could work.

I haven't seen any of their candidates on any of the TV debates so far... 

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Just don't vote for the Debased Democracy Party...erm, I mean Die Basisdemokratische Party.

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

I have seen some of their posters. Is that the Anti-Corona-measures party?

There are many strange small parties who obviously get very few votes, what do they expect to achieve?

But the pirates was such a fringe party, and had some success for a while.

Bartsch of the Linke predicts a complicated result, he thinks Merkel will still be in charge at Christmas. Seems plausible.