Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Exchanging UK license

10 posts in this topic

Moin, 

I'm just looking for anyone's personal experience after exchanging their driving license for a German one. Apologies if this is in the wrong place! 

I have just recently exchanged my UK drivers license, that I have held from 02.02.2006, for a German one. 

I've notice that my new German license has no mention of the pass date of my UK one and is only dated on the rear for 4 days ago (23.07.2021). 

The license does have my the number of my old UK drivers license on it, but as I had to give up the UK one, I now have nothing to prove that I've held a license from 2006. 

Will this cause me any issues with insurance/car hire/the police? Like I mentioned, the German license is dated for 4 days ago. 

Any advice, or experience, would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to avoid any possible issues in the future. 

LG

Harry

That sounds a bit strange. I exchanged my UK licence for a DE one 2 years ago and on the front (4a) it has the date that I exchanged the licence (and it's valid from) but on the back next to the categories that I allowed to drive, it has the date I passed my test in the UK (1988).

I exchanged mine in 2013 and I have the date that I got the new licence on the front (4a), same as warsteiner, but on the back (10) it looks like the date I first registered in Germany, March 2000.  I passed my UK test in 1983 and that is not mentioned anywhere.

Edit: I am not sure I exchanged in 2013 as I know I did it in Munich and I left Munich in 2012, so not sure why there is the 2013 date for 4a.

1 hour ago, sluzup said:

I exchanged mine in 2013 and I have the date that I got the new licence on the front (4a), same as warsteiner, but on the back (10) it looks like the date I first registered in Germany, March 2000.  I passed my UK test in 1983 and that is not mentioned anywhere.

Edit: I am not sure I exchanged in 2013 as I know I did it in Munich and I left Munich in 2012, so not sure why there is the 2013 date for 4a.

Matches mine.

Nowhere on my German license (from 1992) does it show that I passed my tests in the UK back in 1980.

Only dates are when it was issued in DE (4a) and when the Germans first accepted my UK license (10).

BTW

when I photocopied my original paper UK license (back in '92) it said FAKE all over it.

Hadn't noticed that on the pink original - only the B/W copy !!

It has never been a problem - any insurer that needed to authorise my no claims bonus wanted to read a letter

from the UK insurers (in English no less)  - never my actual license.

23 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Matches mine.

Nowhere on my German license (from 1992) does it show that I passed my tests in the UK back in 1980.

Only dates are when it was issued in DE (4a) and when the Germans first accepted my UK license (10).

BTW

when I photocopied my original paper UK license (back in '92) it said FAKE all over it.

Hadn't noticed that on the pink original - only the B/W copy !!

Seems a bit random! Mine has the gultig von (10) as the date when the previous licence expired (that was the old provisional one), instead of the date the test was passed, which was about 6 months before that. 

The old green licence does not have FAKE showing on a photocopy, seems they decided to progress a bit when the pink ones came out, and tried to stop naughty people copying them for naughty reasons - not suggesting you are in that category though :D

@Rezza

As mentioned above, look on the back of your DE licence.

Column (9) shows pictorials of the class of vehicles in DE, whilst column (10) shows those that you are permitted to drive with your test date. My reads 19.12.88.

Line (12) at the bottom shows your original UK driving licence details.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies. 

4a has the date the license was issued (21.05.21) and 14.(10.) has the date I was able to pick the license up (23.07.21) 

The thing I find strange is column (10) should show the what I'm permitted to drive with the test date, but unlike my UK license there is no date in this column. Where there should be a date there is just an asterisk. Am I right in thinking that the asterisks imply the date under 14.(10.)? 

I may contact the dvla for some form of proof, I still need to hire vans from time to time and I'm worried they may be difficult. 

@chelski I do have my original UK license number under line (12)

1 hour ago, Rezza said:

The thing I find strange is column (10) should show the what I'm permitted to drive with the test date, but unlike my UK license there is no date in this column. Where there should be a date there is just an asterisk. Am I right in thinking that the asterisks imply the date under 14.(10.)?

This looks to be the case - http://www.verkehrsportal.de/fev/anl_08.php

"

10.  Das Datum der Erteilung der Fahrerlaubnis der jeweiligen Fahrerlaubnisklasse. Das Erteilungsdatum einzelner oder mehrerer Fahrerlaubnisklassen kann auch im Feld 14 unter Angabe der Nummer 10 eingetragen sein. In diesen Fällen wird in der Spalte 10 mittels *) darauf verwiesen."