Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

321 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, kiplette said:

And so here we are online with a million other people trying to book flights for tomorrow. Everything is crashing...

In our case, the towns they live have no Omnicron at all

Shit, so you are in England kiplette? 

We're still thinking of going. At this point, 14 days quarantine might just be the price we have to pay. Haven't been back in 3 years. Kid has never met the extended family. Flights, testing, parking, rental car, presents, packing...it's all done. Aaarrrghhh.

No, we are here, kids#1 and 2 were travelling on Monday and Tuesday - they are now booked through Amsterdam for tomorrow, and I can't work out of that's even allowed from the UK.

22 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Oh, I see. Then I wish you all the best and keep my fingers crossed that you get to spend Christmas with your family.

Thanks - it does feel really personal at this point.

2 summers ago we were ready to take kid#2 back to the UK for Uni after lockdown, in the car via the Netherlands, and 2 days before departure, that became a red area for the UK, then the week before last, the new UK PCR entry rules came in 5 hours before kid#4's flight back for a selection event, and now this. 

Hey ho. They are both super careful, wear masks in public places and have no Omicron near them, so they are not dangerous in that sense, but when the trip was planned, it seemed OK and now it feels super dodgy. Oh well, we'll see how tomorrow goes. Any delays, and they're stuffed.  

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

No, we are here, kids#1 and 2 were travelling on Monday and Tuesday - they are now booked through Amsterdam for tomorrow, and I can't work out if that's even allowed from the UK.

Travelling from the UK to the Netherlands only seems to become a problem starting with 22. December 2021: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/netherlands/entry-requirements

Dutch requirements (for transit):

If I read the Dutch government website for "transit passengers" correctly, even though they are just transiting, they still need to fill in before the flight:

1. quarantine declaration (in which they would mark "I declare that I fall under the following exemption category" and would fill in "layover (transfer) during international journey": https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/documents/publications/2021/05/26/quarantine-declaration
  2. health declaration ("If you’re flying with KLM, Corendon, TUI, Transavia or easyJet, you will be asked to fill in the health declaration as part of online check-in procedures. So you don’t have to print or download it."): https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/documents/publications/2021/07/20/covid-19-and-flying-health-declaration-form

KLM's AeroDoc website shows, if you choose the tab "connecting flight" and then fill in origin LHR via AMS to CGN, that "in transit" passengers are exempt from proof of vaccination/negative test requirements for the UK to AMS leg. The AeroDoc then just goes on to state the German requirements, i.e. for the next leg, AMS to Germany.

Sources: 

German requirements:

Note to others reading this at a later date: only valid for travel from UK to Germany on 19. December 2021 at the latest!

From 20. December 2021, other rules apply.

Before starting trip, complete entry form for Germanyhttps://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/

Upload proof of vaccination or of recovery to above website, this also means they do not have to quarantine at all in Germany (if coming from the UK on 19.12.2021 at the latest).

If not vaccinated, upload upload negative antigen test result (not older than 48  hours) or PCR test (not older than 72 hours) before trip.

If not vaccinated, home quarantine is mandatory and the earliest they can get out of the home quarantine is through a negative antigen test on day 5, which again has to be uploaded to: https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/

Sources:

The horse has bolted. Restrictions are not water tight. They really may as well not bother. It s so distressing.

I don t get it when people say there is no omicron where we are going. There sure will be if people travel there !

No, that's true, but if there's no Omnicron where you start from, you are unlikely to be moving it about.

@PandaMunich you are as always amazing.

We had the health declaration but not the other one. I have screenshotted your awesome and sent it to kid#1. 

edit: message from kid#1 - you are a legend!!

The Federal Government just declared UK a problem area, 14 days quarantine for people trying to travel from there to Germany.

Thought I heard this on Dudelradio, googl seems to confirm it!

27 minutes ago, kiplette said:

No, that's true, but if there's no Omnicron where you start from, you are unlikely to be moving it about. 

If you travel somewhere, pick it up and bring it back, then there will be Omikron where you start from.

35 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Unless of course someone picks it up while being stuffed like sardines in a relatively small metal box for hours.

17 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Unless of course someone picks it up while being stuffed like sardines in a relatively small metal box for hours.

You mean like a train? Or a bus?

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

... if there's no Omnicron where you start from, you are unlikely to be moving it about.

Just because they haven t detected it (yet) or broadcast it (it s the economy, St...d), doesn t mean it s not there. Inevitably, the virus is always one step ahead of us, and not the other way round.

Compare what happened in the Seychelles, for example. Somewhere on TT there was a guy insisting it was covid free so okay to go there. And he did. Didn t last long.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

This is indeed the hole in the plan. The particular airlines have good Covid policies, and the flights are short, so one lives in hope.

They also thankfully have their killer Swiss masks.  

1 hour ago, theGman said:

You mean like a train? Or a bus?

All types of public transportation.

After the experience of Delta last year, the German government should have imposed the virus variant rules last week before the weekend travel rush.

17 minutes ago, kiplette said:

This is indeed the hole in the plan. The particular airlines have good Covid policies, and the flights are short, so one lives in hope.

They also thankfully have their killer Swiss masks.  

The biggest problem with the Covid policies is that they are dependent on people actually following them. I think the pandemic has more than adequately demonstrated how the selfishness and disregard of a few can adversely effect the rest of the world.

6 minutes ago, engelchen said:

The biggest problem with the Covid policies is that they are dependent on people actually following them.

Which we are doing. 

Not that I don't get your point, and kid#2 would have more happily aborted and stayed there. 

12 hours ago, theGman said:

Oh, I see. Then I wish you all the best and keep my fingers crossed that you get to spend Christmas with your family.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, theGman said:

I am feeling wounded. My parents are devastated. We have had to call off our trip with just 24hours to go.

That's crap. I am sorry. It is a mess. I wish it could have worked out.

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

the selfishness and disregard of a few...

I beg to add shere stupidity and inability to think.

I'm currently in the UK and have a flight booked back to Germany in early January. If the rules don't change, I'm trying to understand the quarantine rules for returning people. The rules say that one must quarantine for 14 days, and cannot leave the house or receive visitors. What the rules don't mention is what about other family members you live with who didn't travel to the UK. Presumably they aren't visitors and therefore can they come and go as they please? Does anyone know what should happen in this case?