Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

321 posts in this topic

We used Collinson Rapid PCR in the carpark at Heathrow 

Type of test needed (Germany <-> UK) - Page 3 - World travel - Toytown Germany

Looking at  Find the cheapest lateral flow and PCR tests for travelling overseas - MSE (moneysavingexpert.com)

it seems that the Rapid PCR is not acceptable as a Day 2 Test, luckily last week on the day the rule came in, nobody knew one way or the other and kid#4 used it and all was good.

The web page above has Collinson same day result tests/overnight if taken after 6pm for 79.20 which compares favourably to the 'Private Coronavirus' thing kaffeemitmilch found above - they sneakily double the price or add 30 quid for postage/on site. Naughty.

Whether the code can be entered on a Passenger Locator Form as a Day 2 test I don't know, but it looks as though that is the intention, in which case 80 quid all told is better - certainly than our ridiculous situation last week when we ended up buying Rapid PCR and a Day 2 test just to get the PLF to load, knowing that the kid would be back in Germany before the Day 2 test even arrived in the post.

It is good they are doing something to stop the rapid spread of the new variant, but the whole way the UK manages testing is so cack handed you don't want to join in.

11 hours ago, kiplette said:

It is good they are doing something to stop the rapid spread of the new variant, but the whole way the UK manages testing is so cack handed you don't want to join in.

This is my point. If you make it cheap/subsidize it, then the economy benefits more than with these stupid money-making schemes.

15 hours ago, kiplette said:

that's what annoys me the most. I have no problem with testing per se, it's just that the UK policies often seem so incoherent that it's difficult to believe it's much more than a money-making exercise (most likely for those that already have so much money they don't know what to do with it) designed to cause maximum inconvenience. 

@kaffeemitmilch will try and remember to post an update as requested.

Had anyone managed to interpret the new rules for entering France from the UK? 
It states a mandatory 48 hour quarantine upon entering France, but no mention of what do it you’re only transiting through France for an hour or so!

Has anyone done the Rotterdam - Hull ferry during recent times? Would you recommend it? Wondering if this make more sense the tunnel….

both ports are the same distance from our destination in the UK

Rotterdam - Hull is very good but look at what cabin you are allocated. Some are too near the entertainment, live music that keeps you awake till 22oo or later. Ask at the Information before going to the cabin, I think they can easily put you in a quiet cabin.

Driving to Rotterdam port is easy, it is 40 km from Rotterdam. At Hull you have to take the freeway through town, there is a jam, but you soon get on the spacious three-lane m62. Much better than the packed four-lane m25.

Less stress I am sure. Just avoid the scrambled eggs at breakfast. I remember them still and it was 20 years ago...:blink:

Oh yes - this. Very much. We haven't had kids#1 and #2 back here together for ages, must be 2 years. 

4 hours ago, Feierabend said:

Am hoping madly that Germany won't reintroduce Virusvariant rules in the next few days for UK visitors.

I’d say this is extremely likely, for this reason I will not be travelling now 

Panic stations. Noose tightening. Holland in lockdown till mid January. Watch for the domino effect.:huh:

I just went to KLM's site. Not been changed since Wednesday. Wonder if they will close Schiphol? I decided to stay put this year, am relieved now that I did. Haven't seen my DearOne for a year.:(

On 17/12/2021, 19:30:24, NorthernLight said:

Has anyone done the Rotterdam - Hull ferry during recent times? Would you recommend it? Wondering if this make more sense the tunnel….

both ports are the same distance from our destination in the UK

I did it about 18 months ago. I was pleasantly surprised; I'm not a fan of ships and have done the tunnel many many times when driving to France and Germany, but as I was going to York it seemed like a better option, especially as I might have otherwise booked a Travelodge room. 

The food was pretty good I thought, even the scrambled eggs. And yes the cabin I had on the way out was near the entertainment and it was quite loud. But on the way back they gave me the upgraded cabin which was much better - I wished I'd just paid the extra.

It's good reminiscing about being able to travel. Maybe one day we'll be able to do it again.

7 hours ago, Feierabend said:

Am hoping madly that Germany won't reintroduce Virusvariant rules in the next few days for UK visitors.

To be honest, I'm hoping that the Germans reintroduce the variant rules ASAP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-59710649

Edit: It seems that they recently did:

Neu seit der letzten Änderung:

1. Neue Virusvariantengebiete (wirksam ab Montag, 20. Dezember 2021 um 0:00 Uhr)- Gebiete mit besonders hohem Infektionsrisiko durch verbreitetes Auftreten bestimmter SARS-CoV-2-Virusvarianten:

Vereinigtes Königreich Großbritannien und Nordirland inkl. der Isle of Man sowie aller Kanalinseln und aller britischen Überseegebiete

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html;jsessionid=85C533FA91963CCD28B8F6EFC91F119F.internet102

Fuckity fuck fuck.

It's bullshit. Omicron is already here. All this does is ruins family's chances to see each other. At least do a France type rule, only family visits, testing before and after.

Fuck this shit.

I've had enough.

Thanks for the info Engelchen, it hadn't made it to the list of countries on The A.Amt site which I 've been looking at compulsively.

And so here we are online with a million other people trying to book flights for tomorrow. Everything is crashing....

In our case, the towns they live have no Omnicron at all