Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

323 posts in this topic

Thanks - the main thing is wondering if I have the right proof of vaccination. If I really do manage to make the trip at all, I don't want to fall at that hurdle :wacko:

From the UK gov website on entering the UK

Approved COVID-19 vaccines and countries and territories with approved proof of vaccination - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Verify your vaccination status in the passenger locator form

You can verify your vaccination status in the UK passenger locator form if you are using either:

• the NHS COVID Pass
  • the EU Digital COVID Certificate (EU DCC)

You should have your vaccine certificate available in case you are asked to show it.

OK thanks, have checked the Corona-Warn-App and that is what it says on there - EU Digital COVID Certificate. Have put it in CovPass too and it just says "Vaccination certificate", so I guess the Warn-App is the one to show.

The UK recognises the CovPass.   It has the QR code and dates of when and where, and what you were vaccinated with.  The UK is familiar with this App.  Or the paper version issued by the Apotheke, that you used to upload the the CovPass.

Good, then I have a full house by the sound of it. Will be delighted if I get to show it to someone.

8 hours ago, anne k said:

Have put it in CovPass too and it just says "Vaccination certificate",

If you open the app, click on Display Certificate and then click through to your actual certificate, there is a 'create EU printout' button.

If you click on that it will generate a PDF that is identical to the one you got from the pharmacy when you first got vaccinated.

I print one of these out when my old paper one gets too shabby because it's a lot quicker to give the guys at the hospital the paper version when I go in each day.

I would imagine if I had to travel I would do the same and keep a paper copy with my passport.

Thanks for your help! Alas, the new rule as of 5 p.m. means we can't go. But at least now I've sorted out how it works :)

What travellers from Europe need to know about new Covid entry rules in UK

The new requirements are set to come into force at 4am on Tuesday, November 30th.

Testing
This means that if you’re arriving in the UK after 4am on Tuesday, November 30th, you’ll need to book and take PCR tests instead of lateral flow tests, which will no longer be accepted.

You’ll need to take a PCR test by the end of the second day after arriving in the UK and self-isolate until you get a negative test result.

Quarantine requirements
This means you can only leave home if you need to buy essential supplies, such as food or medication (but only if no-one else can buy them for you), to take a test or for urgent medical care.

The potential problem with this change is that the UK testing system has been beset with problems.

For example, at least one private testing company is being investigated for failure to deliver PCR test results on time – or in some cases at all – meaning people could be stuck in quarantine for a long time.

And another is being looked into for providing thousands of incorrect negative results.

And Which? travel editor Rory Boland expressed concern about the testing companies and how they would cope with the additional demand, as he details in the below tweet, meaning people could be stuck in quarantine for days.

Forms to fill in
If you’re due to arrive before 4am on November 30th, you can complete the required Passenger Locator Form now, but if you’re arriving after that time, you’ll need to return to the website after 4am on Monday, November 29th as the system is being updated.

You need to fill one of these forms in, even if you’re just passing through the UK, and it needs to be completed 48 hours or less before you start your journey.

Lack of clarity
However, a few things remain unclear, including what the requirements are for people who are entering the UK for less than two days, and whether these could rule out short business trips. 

The government is expected to reveal further details this week and we will be update this article as soon as further information is available.

Other restrictions
Wearing face masks on public transport and in shops will also be mandatory again in England from Tuesday. 

They are still required in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland on public transport and many indoor spaces.

I should have read this before booking a flight for 2 days in a week! I spoke to a friend there who said he's heard of people showing up to check if you're isolating until test results are there. Goddamned Downing Street.

I believe the rules changed again over the weekend, so that you now need a negative PCR Test result prior to arriving in the UK (which actually seems more sensible).

Yeah you need that in addition to the 2nd day test. The pre-flight test is more understandable, though I wish the Antigen test were acceptable. The ticket was 94 euro, and the PCR test here would be 50, plus the 30-minute test as soon as I arrived in the UK would be about 130 pounds. Not worth it for a 2-day trip. My mistake obviously.

Edit: Ah, a lateral flow test is Antigen! Ok this is a little less annoying. Is the free Buergertest acceptable for travel?

36 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Yeah you need that in addition to the 2nd day test.

Sorry my mistake. Of course, I should have known better than to assume there had been an improvement! The new rule is in addition to and not in lieu of the previous one. I've just checked the government site (latest link below), and incredibly the restrictions are still (despite being vaccinated, and tested negative prior to arrival) to stay in isolation until the results of the day 2 test are returned...even if you are going to be in the UK for less than 2 days! 

Travel to England from another country during coronavirus (COVID-19) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Basically the government pretending like they give a toss to hide their own blunders so far. They can claim Brexit-related financial losses are actually due to 'necessary' COVID restrictions to keep the people 'safe'. Germany is still not requiring tests for the vaccinated from non-red-list countries.

2 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Yeah you need that in addition to the 2nd day test. The pre-flight test is more understandable, though I wish the Antigen test were acceptable. The ticket was 94 euro, and the PCR test here would be 50, plus the 30-minute test as soon as I arrived in the UK would be about 130 pounds. Not worth it for a 2-day trip. My mistake obviously.

Edit: Ah, a lateral flow test is Antigen! Ok this is a little less annoying. Is the free Buergertest acceptable for travel?

Yes it should be - so long as the certificate is also in English. This is what I am using to travel later this week. 

Not back until the new year -assuming I don't get stuck there - so not sure how much help that will be, everything's bound to have changed by then! 

ps the certificate can also be in French or Spanish (iirc). 

10 minutes ago, skadi said:

Not back until the new year -assuming I don't get stuck there - so not sure how much help that will be, everything's bound to have changed by then! 

ps the certificate can also be in French or Spanish (iirc). 

Yeah, but your arrival into the UK and how the 2nd day PCR test works would be good to know :)

This is so stupid:

'What happens if you are not fully vaccinated and in England for less than ten days?

If you are in England for less than ten days, you need to quarantine for the time you are here – and you still need to book day two and day eight PCR tests, but only need to take these if you are still in England on those days.'  New UK Covid Omicron rules: Travel PCR tests and fines for not wearing a mask return | Daily Mail Online

So, you can basically go to England, quarantine, and leave without having taken the full tests (and potentially infect everyone on public transport and the airport), as long as you've PAID for the tests. So, they don't really care as long as you pay for the tests.