Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

143 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Auntie Helen said:

No, the day you arrive is day 0.

so if you arrive on Tuesday you do the test on Thursday.

Thanks for clarifying

2 hours ago, optimista said:

Not according to this.

Each dose must be with the same (MHRA, EMA, Swissmedic or FDA) approved vaccine. For example, if your first dose was Moderna your second dose must also be Moderna.

Yes, you are right!  I could swear I read that yesterday though.  Must have been a dream.

I'm pretty sure this is not incompetence. Must have taken some elite-educated bright spark with a high IQ and an even fatter government salary to come up with that one. We - the people, citizens, Her Majesty's passport-holding subjects, whatever - are powerless faced with this sort of shite. Our only recourse is to moan on chat forums. Or is it??

On 9/17/2021, 11:10:28, paulwork said:

@Auntie Helen Did you have any problems / notice others in the queue having problems with German border guards on return re: residence permit (or lack thereof if still waiting for an appointment) and ensuring the passport is not stamped?

Not a major issue or anything but they wanted to see my aufhenthaltstitel each time I passed border control, didn't have it with me the first time, they didn't stamp my passport but were quite clear that I should carry it from then on.

Hmm, the Lufthansa online check-in wants the number of my residents permit which I don't have yet:o. It won't  accept me as a tourist either, I guess because I'm on the return leg of my round trip. Hope they can sort it out at the airport. Planning on getting there very early. This trip keeps on giving,  hassle after hassle.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Hmm, the Lufthansa online check-in wants the number of my residents permit which I don't have yet:o. It won't  accept me as a tourist either, I guess because I'm on the return leg of my round trip. Hope they can sort it out at the airport. Planning on getting there very early. This trip keeps on giving,  hassle after hassle.

Are you coming from a place not allowed to enter Germany unless vaccinated or something?

I didn't have to enter my permit number anywhere on the online check-in.

21 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Traveling home from the UK, I'm a British citizen. more to do with brexit than covid I think.

Bizarre that, I came back on Monday and didn't need to provide any other info to Lufthansa other than my normal passport details.  They didn't ask for anything when checking vaccination and einreiseanmeldung at airport either.

No problems at all at the airport LHR  said they now have to do a physical document check of uk passports, so no online check-in  and crap seats up the back. Plane is delayed also.

No doubt bennetn will post shortly to let us know his plane was not only not delayed but landed early.:)

On 20.9.2021, 07:15:13, Auntie Helen said:

No, the day you arrive is day 0.

so if you arrive on Tuesday you do the test on Thursday.

You can do the test on or before Day 2, however.

On 19/09/2021, 15:40:10, colincostello said:

Note that the pre departure test  has now been scrapped. This means that when you travel from Germany to England , you do not have to take a pre departure test. But you will still have to take a test within 2 days of arriving in England. Even this will change soon.

NOTE THAT THIS ONLY APPLIES TO ENGLAND.

That's not true (yet). I am currently on the ferry and they are still checking your negative pre-departure test at Dunkirk check-in. IIRC the changes kick-in on 4 Oct.

PS: On the passenger locator form, if you're departing from a French port it doesn't matter if you only transitted France not stopping for anything, make sure you enter France as your departure country. I had to re-enter details and re-submit before being allowed on the ferry.

On 18/09/2021, 09:47:02, keith2011 said:

I'll post here on return next week, I'm still waiting for a permit, I do have a copy of the application confirmation which is supposed to be enough. We shall see!

It was not! Basically it seems if you don't have a permit you get a stamp.

16 hours ago, keith2011 said:

No problems at all at the airport LHR  said they now have to do a physical document check of uk passports, so no online check-in  and crap seats up the back. Plane is delayed also.

No doubt bennetn will post shortly to let us know his plane was not only not delayed but landed early.:)

..as it happens...:P

Maybe someone can confirm what I suspect and that I'm not going mad. A few weeks ago I finally felt it was OK to book to visit my parents back in the UK, and let them see their much missed grand-daughter. We are both considered vaccinated here in Germany, being recovered plus one vaccine shot, but of course not vaccinated in the UK. Since Netherlands was at the time amber, we chose not to use the ferry (normal route) but to fly direct as Germany was green so vaccine status didn't matter. Due travel 10th Oct (autumn school holiday here) - so today I check the upcoming rules. Scrapping of amber, sounds great. But now the requirement to be vaccinated is across the board. So our plans appear to be shot. Not considered vaccinated in the UK means having additional rip off day 8 tests, plus we can't leave my parents house unless we test to release. Am I going mad or has the ground shifted under us?

22 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Yep you are right.  And things keep changing. 

Good news for some, people who have got mixed vaccines from approved program such as the EU one do count as fully vaccinated.  But not recently recovered and only one jab from a vaccine requiring two jabs, as you said.

Quarantine and testing if you've been in an amber list country - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Thanks - one things that is not as bad as feared is that since my daughter is under 17 she won't be subject to the day 8 test and quarantine. I'm going to have to consider the day 5 "test to release" in order to stick to our plans though. Money money money!

32 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

... people who have got mixed vaccines from approved program such as the EU one do count as fully vaccinated.

Hallelujah. The jobsworths have read and thought about their half baked first effort and finally caught up with reality.

I have been asked to explain how I got my £9.95 Day 2 PCR test. So I shall do... I am travelling by car from Germany to Scotland so decided to go via the Amsterdam-Newcastle ferry. So after booking this I went to the UK gov site to book my Day 2 test, The first lot in the list showed £.95 per test but when you followed the link they were for collect only and all were sold out, normal price was £79. So I kept going and fon 2A Covid testing at £9.95, again this was collect only but at Stockton on Tees. This would work as it is only about an hour from the ferry terminal. So I went forward and filled in my details, you have to be patient as it is tries to put you off buying this. I persevered and reaced the checkout and paid my money. Minutes later I received two emails, the first an invoice for the purchase, the second confirmation of mz appointment to pick up the test - and also an apology that due to safety concerns for my safety that they will in fact post out the test to me. 

So a win situation for me, the booking reference came a few days later. Lets see if the test actually arrives at my hotel in Falkirk.