Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

143 posts in this topic

Many thanks  to Auntie Helen. I find it so much easier to absorb this information when it is in a personal form. I have checked the official websites such as Gov.UK , the German Embassy and the Robert Kock Institute but somehow the information does not stick.

I only hope I can get into and out of Germany without a smart phone.

You'll be fine Colin, I departed BER last week using printouts of all the documents, no phone. Ryanair double checked everything, once in the check in queue and again at the gate.

They're adamant that all paperwork has to be in English, especially the negative test, or they'll refuse boarding as 'it won't be accepted in the UK'.

A couple of people were asked for email proof that they'd ordered a Day 2 test! It didn't happen to me, but I would just have argued that I'd entered the order code on my passenger locator form as required.

I used the eGate on arrival and that was that, no further checks at Stansted.

I'm now doing the online Einreiseanmeldung which can only be done 2 days before returning to Germany. It generates a PDF that I will need to print out, and in the PDF is a link for uploading proof of vaccination. Two steps in this process require pin codes, which they'll send either to an email address or a phone number. Hope this helps!

15 hours ago, Jonny said:

Isn't proof of double jab the same as a vaccination certificate ? Did you mean negative covid test or proof of double jab ?

I was asked for ( at airport check in ), passport, proof of negative test, which I had - so I gave it to them, I read that double jab is also enough, but I was not asked for that so I cannot comment.

Again, when I got to Amsterdam, my EU passport was enough to get me on to EU land, no one asked for certificates of vaccination or test.

On 9.8.2021, 21:58:56, debsie said:
On 9.8.2021, 21:58:56, debsie said:

I'm now doing the online Einreiseanmeldung which can only be done 2 days before returning to Germany. It generates a PDF that I will need to print out, and in the PDF is a link for uploading proof of vaccination. Two steps in this process require pin codes, which they'll send either to an email address or a phone number. Hope this helps!

Yes it does but to where did you upload your vaccination proof? i only have a paper version of my double jab.

On 07/08/2021, 13:31:18, Auntie Helen said:

... (for my wedding!!!!)...

Congratulations Auntie.

Help

I am visiting the uk and have been contacted by their track and trace telling me and my wife that someone on our plane coming over, 8 days ago, has tested positive for covid and we must now self isolate despite the fact we are both fully vaccinated. They say vaccinated people are exempt  but only if the vaccinations were carried out in the uk. We had ours in Germany. Which seems ludicrous, anyone know if it us really so???

Yes, it's ludicrous. And yes that tallies with my latest information. Utterly mad. Despair justified.

I had Astra. Not good enough, cos it was administered in France. :rolleyes:

Not convinced that has anything to do with Brexit. Just an excuse for Bojo's friends to sell you their tests.

3 minutes ago, optimista said:

Not convinced that has anything to do with Brexit.

Sure it is - anything EU (thus not UK) cannot be any good.

Just an excuse for Bojo's friends to sell you their tests.

A nice side effect.

9 minutes ago, optimista said:

I think it is more sinister than a side effect. Deliberate planning.

Not sure about that but given we were infected we have by now been the source of major new infections in London the home counties and Dorset. On the bright side we only have 2 days of isolation, since the contact was 8 days ago and a self test is negative. If you were in my position would you bother with and pay out for a pcr test or even give a shit about isolating at this point?

18 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Not sure about that but given we were infected we have by now been the source of major new infections in London the home counties and Dorset. On the bright side we only have 2 days of isolation, since the contact was 8 days ago and a self test is negative. If you were in my position would you bother with and pay out for a pcr test or even give a shit about isolating at this point?

This is difficult to follow.  What do you mean by "we were infected?"  You mean you are ill? You have tested positive yourselves?   Or do you  merely got pinged about being perhaps exposed on a flight.  Very different situations.  

56 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

If you were in my position would you bother with and pay out for a pcr test or even give a shit about isolating at this point?

If I were in your position quite honestly I would nip out and get a cheapo lateral flow test  kit, and go with the result of that.

Positive - oh shit, how crap is track and trace, hope the body count is not too high.

Negative, great, marvellous, keep yourselves to yourselves a bit for 2 days, do shopping wearing a mask and don't take the piss eating inside in restaurants etc. don't go around snogging random strangers or licking lamp posts. If you are staying with family members, then hey ho, what can you do?

The 'only the NHS jabs are good enough' crap is seriously annoying and I feel your pain. Last summer we were booked on a Hook ferry to take kid#2 back to Uni and 2 days before we left the Netherlands went 'red' and so we were in the whole quarantine shebang and this was us from our clean little German town going to crappy UK absolutely riddled with the Rona. So offensive. 

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Help

I am visiting the uk and have been contacted by their track and trace telling me and my wife that someone on our plane coming over, 8 days ago, has tested positive for covid and we must now self isolate despite the fact we are both fully vaccinated. They say vaccinated people are exempt  but only if the vaccinations were carried out in the uk. We had ours in Germany. Which seems ludicrous, anyone know if it us really so???

It sounds strange that the vaccination has to be administered in the uk. May be worth double checking.
“passengers fully vaccinated with vaccines authorised by the EMA and FDA in Europe and the USA will be able to travel to England from amber countries without having to quarantine on arrival from 4am 2 August”

Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-travel-update-government-waives-quarantine-for-arrivals-fully-vaccinated-from-europe-and-usa-while-also-confirming-international-cruise-restart

4 hours ago, snowingagain said:

This is difficult to follow.  What do you mean by "we were infected?"  You mean you are ill? You have tested positive yourselves?   Or do you  merely got pinged about being perhaps exposed on a flight.  Very different situations.  

Just to clarify, no we are not infected, per free lateral flow test taken today we have no symptoms and we are fully vaccinated. We were notified by nhs track and trace today that a passenger on our flight to the uk 8 days ago has tested positive. In that 8 days we have been visiting relatives at various locations in the south of England and visits to London without any knowledge of the contract. Track and trace did not request any info on who  or where we had been in those 8 days, just instructed to isolate for the 2 days remaining from the 10 day isolation normally required and take a pcr test. Which imo is stupid in the extreme.

Usual incoherent shite. If no-one is checking and enforcing isolation upon pain of death, it is all pie in the sky anyway. There is no hope.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

Usual incoherent shite. If no-one is checking and enforcing isolation upon pain of death, it is all pie in the sky anyway. There is no hope.

If they try to enforce stupid rules, i e. German AZ vaccine is no good then the authorities must bear the consequences.  You can't blame the people!