Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

104 posts in this topic

It was interesting as things were checked very vaguely.

airport did normal passport check/boarding card at security. Security queue was normal, maybe 15 minutes.

i arrived at the boarding gate 3.5 hours early as I had factored in loads of spare time.

Just before boarding began, one of the two women at the boarding gate started to look at people’s documents. She basically went up the queue of people waiting to board.

i always wait to the end to board and all she did was check I had three things - passenger locator form, test and Corona vaccination certificate on my phone. I showed her all three but I doubt she actually read any of it, she just saw the document or quick code on phone existed. I had printed out the first two documents which made this a bit easier as I wasn’t fiddling with my phone.

Arriving at Stansted it was just the passport at the electronic gate. However, my Passenger Locator Form is linked to my passport number. I assume if I hadn’t done a passenger locator form it would not let me through the gates.

My Day 2 test has arrived at my UK address and I will do this on Thursday, I then have to put it in a special post box (a 5km drive from here) and they will test it once I am back in Germany.

Social distancing in airport queues is bad as they have you queuing up and down taped-off routes. In the UK people swapped to community masks in the airport (presumably allowed) and that made me feel a bit nervous.

Mum and I stopped for scones on the way back from the airport. I kept wearing my FFP2 mask until seated, everyone else in the tea room was maskless. I am keeping my mask on in all public areas in the UK while I am here, and have brought a fresh mask for each day.

Dear Auntie Helen , 

many thanks for that informative post. I was glad to see that printed documents were accepted as  I do not have a smart phone.  My only concerns are the timing and cost of the test. Is it free? Did you administer it yourself?

The test to depart is free here in Germany. The day 2 test is not free and must be bought from one of  BoJo’s mates' companies the approved list of providers. There is a link to the list on the government website. Depending on which one you buy, you can either administer it yourself, or get one where somebody does it for you (or watches you do it, I can't remember). 

If you are fully vaccinated then quarantine is not required*. You just need to fill out https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/.

*There is no exception for kids, so all unvaccinated kids have to quarantine for 5 days, with no test requirement. Unvaccinated adults have to quarantine for 5 days and have a test on day 5.

9 hours ago, theGman said:

If you are fully vaccinated then quarantine is not required*. You just need to fill out https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/.

*There is no exception for kids, so all unvaccinated kids have to quarantine for 5 days, with no test requirement. Unvaccinated adults have to quarantine for 5 days and have a test on day 5.

oh dear is this really true? 
I wrongly assumed the kids were exempted, but it obviously does make sense. 
The website could make things a bit more explicit when it comes to travelling with children.

3 minutes ago, NorthernLight said:

oh dear is this really true? 
I wrongly assumed the kids were exempted, but it obviously does make sense. 
The website could make things a bit more explicit when it comes to travelling with children.

I think its worth checking , as I think it is children over 12 that need to quarantine, but I would not want to be trying to keep teenagers in quarantine for 5 days, I imagine there would be some tempers fraying very quickly!!

1 hour ago, SusieT said:

I think its worth checking , as I think it is children over 12 that need to quarantine, but I would not want to be trying to keep teenagers in quarantine for 5 days, I imagine there would be some tempers fraying very quickly!!

There is a not so explicit reference to kids under 12 needing to quarantine here, where it tells you it can end early:

Kinder, die das zwölfte Lebensjahr noch nicht vollendet haben, endet die Absonderung fünf Tage nach der Einreise automatisch.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/coronavirus-infos-reisende/faq-tests-einreisende.html

On 05/08/2021, 00:04:32, colincostello said:

Dear Auntie Helen , 

many thanks for that informative post. I was glad to see that printed documents were accepted as  I do not have a smart phone.  My only concerns are the timing and cost of the test. Is it free? Did you administer it yourself?

Hi there Colin.

The test in Germany was easy - just went to the local testing station as I know their results are in English as well as German, although I have to say the Ryanair people just glanced at it.

The Day 2 test in the UK I administered myself as Mum lives in the wilds of East Sussex.

I was faced with the impossibly long list of UK providers on the Government website with vast numbers of unrealistic prices (28 pounds, but only one at that price per day, perhaps!). I looked at some comparison sites and found one or two that were meant to be good and reliable (although usually price-wise around 50 pounds or more) but they were all sold out when I tried to book one 6 days before I would be due to take it.

In the end I went with Eurofins and I have to say they were pretty good. I ordered the kit on Saturday and it arrived at the English address on Tuesday. Everything was inside with clear instructions, all required packaging materials etc. They have to be dropped off at a Royal Mail Priority Postbox and there were a fair few near Ipswich but not many to the north so if Mum lived around Debenham/Eye we would have had quite a long drive. We posted the completed test at 4pm in the Postbox near Ipswich and I was very impressed to get my result by about 6pm English time the next day - so they must have processed it in just a few hours. Test was negative.

My Mum and Sister are coming over to visit in 3 weeks (for my wedding!!!!) and they will also go with Eurofins when they return as I was happy with their service, although their website was a bit counter-intuitive. 

I wrote this massively long document for my Mum and sister so they know what to do when they come. It is specific to Stansted/Köln airport and with them coming from the UK to Germany and then returning to the UK, but the information might be helpful to some here the other way round!

Preparations to arrive in Germany

Before you arrive in Germany you will need to arrange the following:

1. Order from Eurofins a Day 2 Corona Test for when you return to the UK. You have to order this before you do the Passenger Locator Form to return to the UK. Best to arrange it before you leave for Germany. They deliver in 2-5 days.

2. Two days before you travel you should complete the German Einreiseanmeldung. This is a shorter version of the UK Passenger Locator Form. You will need either a printout of this or have it as a PDF on your phones. I suggest a printout, much safer.  You will not be able to enter Germany without this document, and it links to your Passport Number.  Once you create this form you also need to upload your proof of vaccination, a scan or a screenshot of the phone. The uploads are all done with one-time phone codes.

3. Print out of the boarding cards after your online check-in, or have them on the app on your phone.

At Stansted Airport - leaving

You need just your boarding pass for security - it is scanned at the automatic gates.
No general passport control at Stansted - you walk straight to the gate and your passport is checked there as you are boarding.
At the Ryanair gate you need to show:

1. Boarding Card
  2. Passport
  3. Vaccination proof
  4. German Einreiseanmeldung (blue and white form)

The Ryanair employees were walking along the queue checking the documents and then giving you a small slip of paper with a signature so the gate staff knew your documents had been checked.

To get on the plane you don’t need to show anything, just to know your seat number.

Arriving in Germany - Cologne Airport

At the passport control, which is very soon after you come off the plane, you need to show:

1. Passport
  2. Einreiseanmeldung (blue and white form)

They did not ask to see my vaccination proof but that might be as I was a German citizen.

Preparations to return to the UK

1. 48 hours or less before returning to Germany you will need to complete the UK Government Passenger Locator Form. You need the Eurofins Covid Test Booking Number so must have ordered the test beforehand.

2. You will also each need a negative COVID test to be done in Germany which must have the results in both German and English.

Returning from Cologne Airport to Stansted

It took about 15-20 minutes for me to get through security.

Security X-rays etc were followed immediately by passport control. They were only interested in my passport, not the other documentation.

At the gate they will check the following before/as you board:

1. Passport
  2. Boarding Card
  3. Proof of negative COVID test
  4. Proof of vaccination
  5. UK Passenger Locator Form

Arriving at Stansted after flying home

When you get back to Stansted you will go to the general Passport Control for all travellers. It is automatic gates and you need to go to the LEFT HAND SIDE when you get out of the Transit.

You only need to show your passport, they did not look at any of the other documents for me.

Once you are through the passport gates (took a long time for me, it couldn't read my passport properly) then you can make your way out.

On 06/08/2021, 12:10:15, theGman said:

does anyone know how Germany count the days of quarantine? In other words is the day of entry day 0 or 1?

For kids under 12 there is a statement to suggest quarantine ends automatically after 5 days. But the question is, is the entry day classed as one of those 5 days? e.g enter on Saturday and free on Thursday?

maybe the online registration takes care of this and gives you the dates.

7 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:

I wrote this massively long document for my Mum and sister so they know what to do when they come. It is specific to Stansted/Köln airport and with them coming from the UK to Germany and then returning to the UK, but the information might be helpful to some here the other way round!

nice one! This is better than the official advice.

I’ve been lost in the endless rule changes, exemptions and permutations 

Of course it could all change any minute!

But I am hoping it will stay the same or get easier in the next 3 weeks before my relatives come.

I am doing all the paperwork for my Mum and my sister is printing out all the documents. It is much too much for a 76 year old woman who only uses her mobile phone for WhatsApp and The Archers. If she didn’t have us to do it I guess it would be beyond her.

12 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:

Of course it could all change any minute!

But I am hoping it will stay the same or get easier in the next 3 weeks before my relatives come.

I am doing all the paperwork for my Mum and my sister is printing out all the documents. It is much too much for a 76 year old woman who only uses her mobile phone for WhatsApp and The Archers. If she didn’t have us to do it I guess it would be beyond her.

unfortunately I don’t think the rules will be eased anytime soon. At least not on the German side. The 7 day incidence in the UK is way above the levels needed to declassify the risk category. I hope I am wrong, but it looks unlikely.

Unfortunately, the UK's test requirement still applies, so for vaccinated people it makes no difference.

Thanks to Auntie Helen for the informative posts. I pretty much understood what was required, but was a little paranoid about being caught out on some minor detail, which seems very unlikely. I'm looking forward to seeing my family again, and my young niece that I have never met.

Just come back from the UK, yesterday evening from Manchester to AMS then Munich. 

At check in ( not possible online ), I was asked for

Passport, vaccination certificate or proof of double jab

I had to show my EU passport at AMS, nothing else

then to Munich, and only had to show my passport and paper showing my flight details, nothing more

Quite easy, but allow a lot of time, as there were some big waits  

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Passport, vaccination certificate or proof of double jab

Isn't proof of double jab the same as a vaccination certificate ? Did you mean negative covid test or proof of double jab ?