Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

323 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I didn't know FKK tube travel was so popular in England!:D

Hehe.

I will say that I was jealous of everyone not wearing a mask, and a part of me was pleased to see things back to normal, so to speak. I wish I could have joined them, but again, I wanted to take that little extra precaution, for whatever it was worth.

Absolutely. 

Only anecdotal, but kid#1 and companion recently travelled by train in UK and otherwise were pretty much housebound (working from home) and he (wearing cloth mask) got Covid 3 days later and she (wearing FFP2 mask) didn't.

On 26/02/2022, 20:54:23, kiplette said:

This I agree with. I have not been eating in such settings. I have a kitchen and can cook, no need. No wish to sit inside with random people.

On public transport? Oh please a mask. 

Someone linked a study about FFP2 masks and efficacy, and they came out well. No idea where to find it, unfortunately, and the search function has not been my friend. Scraps of fabric probably not so much.

Virtue signalling? Oh haha. That's just silly. People eating in restaurants are not signalling anything except to the restaurant owners, who are no doubt deeply grateful.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

I flew back to Hamburg from Mallorca yesterday afternoon / evening.

As we taxied in the cabin crew made an announcement that authorities would be sperforming spot check as we leave the aircraft &

that we should have our ID & vaccination status available.

Nothing happened - no Beamter to be seen.  It was Sunday evening after all!

Even my luggage was on the conveyer belt before I got there (long walk).

On 2/28/2022, 3:13:07, kiplette said:

Absolutely. 

Only anecdotal, but kid#1 and companion recently travelled by train in UK and otherwise were pretty much housebound (working from home) and he (wearing cloth mask) got Covid 3 days later and she (wearing FFP2 mask) didn't.

Yeah that's my feeling. If there's at least a little chance, I'll take it by just wearing the mask.

Plus I'm basically invincible if I take even the slightest precaution, what with my blood type being O+.

Mic drop...

Has anyone tried taking LFT = Schnelltests on the plane in their hand luggage? Do you have to put them in the liquids bag?

2 hours ago, anne k said:

Has anyone tried taking LFT = Schnelltests on the plane in their hand luggage? Do you have to put them in the liquids bag?

Hah, funny you ask. I took two to London in my baggy, and one back. In Frankfurt, they took all the stuff out of my huge baggy and put it in a 1 liter one. On their own. They didn't even give me a new bag and ask me to do it. Weirdos. In London, they have a new x-ray machines that don't require you to take anything out of your bags. THAT WAS GREAT!

23 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Hah, funny you ask. I took two to London in my baggy, and one back. In Frankfurt, they took all the stuff out of my huge baggy and put it in a 1 liter one. On their own. They didn't even give me a new bag and ask me to do it. Weirdos. In London, they have a new x-ray machines that don't require you to take anything out of your bags. THAT WAS GREAT!

Very helpful, thanks - was thinking of taking a cheapo 5-pack to give to my mum but it sounds like they might not get through.

For the time being, can't your mum still get them free on the nhs, via a chemist, supermarket or by post (if she, or someone on her behalf) orders them online. I thought it was April 1st the test distribution ends. April Fool's day, how apt! 

Ah, OK, I thought that was coming in straight away. Just saw an article saying they were being sold at €6 a go in Boots and thought I'd save her a bit of cash.

1 hour ago, anne k said:

Very helpful, thanks - was thinking of taking a cheapo 5-pack to give to my mum but it sounds like they might not get through.

Well, to be honest I have used larger baggies before and they've never transferred them to a smaller one before, so you could get away with it. But, if you want to be safe, just take out the liquid vials from the tests and shove them into a baggy. They're sealed, so the tests should still be fine.

To be clear, they didn't take away anything I put in the baggy. They transferred EVERYTHING, including the 1 test packs, into the smaller baggy.

On 28/02/2022, 15:00:07, kaffeemitmilch said:

Hehe.

I will say that I was jealous of everyone not wearing a mask, and a part of me was pleased to see things back to normal, so to speak. I wish I could have joined them, but again, I wanted to take that little extra precaution, for whatever it was worth.

Out of interest, where does this end ? Will you be wearing a mask forever ? I’m guessing you’re triple vaxxed at least, so why are you still so scared ? At some point you WILL get it just like all of us. I just find it quite sad that in a comedy club where everyone is back to normal with the approval of the government , you’re the one person who is still masking up . But if it makes you fell better then who am I to judge.

3 minutes ago, Jonny said:

so why are you still so scared

He even has to bring his keyboard warrior attitude on this thread.

They´ve had 3 jabs and you´re the one who was scared of getting even 1.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

He even has to bring his keyboard warrior attitude on this thread.

They´ve had 3 jabs and you´re the one who was scared of getting even 1.

That doesn't answer the question.  If they've had 3 and they work so well.... why are they still scared ?

Are people scared? Or just careful?

It still means quarantine here in Germany which is a total pain, so people don't want to catch it and have their lives in turmoil.

That's my take anyway.

Last week on Mallorca many people (like 50%)  were wearing masks outside although that has been no longer mandatory since a few weeks.

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

Out of interest, where does this end ? Will you be wearing a mask forever ? I’m guessing you’re triple vaxxed at least, so why are you still so scared ? At some point you WILL get it just like all of us. I just find it quite sad that in a comedy club where everyone is back to normal with the approval of the government , you’re the one person who is still masking up.

What business of yours is any of this?  No one is obligated to report to you on why they choose/need to wear a mask.

But if it makes you fell better then who am I to judge.

Your very tone oozes with mockery and judgment.  

2 hours ago, HEM said:

Last week on Mallorca many people (like 50%)  were wearing masks outside although that has been no longer mandatory since a few weeks.

That has changed in the one week since you left.  But people are respecting rules where masks are required in indoor settings.  In any case, people are always free to choose to wear a 😷 whether one is required or not, without questions.

And this whole crap about being "scared".  I was never scared.  I did not get a tetanus vax, have a PAP smear, or simillar because I was "scared".  Just seemed like a reasonable, sensible precuation.   Do people who do not bother really think they are being brave, like soldiers under fire?  

57 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

What business of yours is any of this?  No one is obligated to report to you on why they choose/need to wear a mask.

I know that thanks. I was asking out of curiosity because I'm wondering when the mask wearing will stop.  Will it stop after a period of time ? Will it stop when the number of new infections have gone below a specific threshold ? At some point people will go back to not wearing a mask.  I'm wondering when that will be since if the govt tell you that you don't need one now , in the UK at least  , and you still wear one anyway,  then what will make you stop.  

Just a general question to all the mask enthusiasts.

23 hours ago, Jonny said:

I know that thanks. I was asking out of curiosity because I'm wondering when the mask wearing will stop.  Will it stop after a period of time ? Will it stop when the number of new infections have gone below a specific threshold ? At some point people will go back to not wearing a mask.  I'm wondering when that will be since if the govt tell you that you don't need one now , in the UK at least  , and you still wear one anyway,  then what will make you stop.  

Just a general question to all the mask enthusiasts.

It will be pretty much the same as it was in the UK, where people seem to have been a lot more enthusiastic about wearing masks and social distancing than they ever were in Germany. When catching Covid is not as bad for your health (thanks to you being vaccinated) and also not as much of a PITA to organise (as quarantines are no longer required - thanks to other people being vaccinated), then we pragmatic mask users will equally pragmatically stop using masks in situations where we know they are not required.

I'm back from my quick trip. On the way to visit my elderly family who can really do without catching Covid due to their various serious health complaints, I wore a mask in the train and bus. I was not alone.

I won't let other people try to bully me into copying them by calling me a scaredy-cat. Never did it in the school playground and am absolutely not going to start doing it at my age.