Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

321 posts in this topic

...I can see the future is buying a big trout, gutting it excessively, stuffing it full of cheddar and sewing it back up to sneak it by the border guards on the journey home.

46 minutes ago, dstanners said:

...I can see the future is buying a big trout, gutting it excessively, stuffing it full of cheddar and sewing it back up to sneak it by the border guards on the journey home.

Most excellent idea @dstanners so I'm gonna buy a big shark and get it prepared for transportation in Melton Mowbray.

1 hour ago, skadi said:

61dc62e9c80a4_fishimport.jpg.74465dc66f4

Not sure if that covers fish cakes or not. It seems impossible to actually work out what you can or can't bring in. Here is the link 

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm#shortcut-3

That puts paid to transporting Christmas Puds!

I always used to bring back a few packs decent smoked bacon & sausages...  In the old days of business travel (but econ tickets) to / from Manchester where Sun's European training center was located (I used to help out as lab assistent) the family used to be waiting with the table laid when I got home with the bacon etc..

So, these days, fully vaccinated people travelling to the UK need only to fill out a passenger locator form. No testing required. Non-vaccinated passengers, however, still have to test before travelling and take a PCR test after arriving. However, as of today:

"From 24 February, there is no legal requirement to self-isolate if you get a positive day 2 test result"

So what the hell is the point of any of it any more?

There isn't.

Bojo hopes to rise again by being the hero who lifted corona restrictions.

The difficulty is once you have masses of people infected, including key workers, the jobs they do which are obviously 'key' aren't being done. If they are not actually ill in themselves, then is it better to have them in work, spreading something relatively mild around whilst doing the things society requires, or at home, wasting their time and talents whilst their place of work ceases to function properly?

It is a complete re-think of the whole pandemic mindset. 

And also Russian Roulette, particularly within the NHS where there are huge staffing issues but also the customers are often the vulnerable.

Flying to London today for a long weekend. I intend to mask up as much as possible even without the requirement. Let's see how it goes. I mean, according to the TfL website you need to wear a mask, so just because there is no state mandate, it doesn't mean there aren't any local ones.

I've only filled in the passenger locator form, but I will do a self-test before flying.

Am I missing anything?

7 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I intend to mask up as much as possible even without the requirement.

Am I missing anything?

If anyone gives you grief for wearing a mask, just cough a bit and say you have Covid, and you are trying to protect them.

2 hours ago, snowingagain said:

If anyone gives you grief for wearing a mask, just cough a bit and say you have Covid, and you are trying to protect them.

I'm just back.  They won't give you grief.  They'll maybe just laugh at you or give you a pitying look for being so terrified. 

I don't think I realised that you are not only antivaxx but also anti mask and everything.

Should people not have the freedom to protect themselves from Covid with a decent mask? 

Why do you think that is laughable?

On 24.2.2022, 09:19:01, snowingagain said:

Just ignore them. Who cares what random strangers think? 

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

It's not Murica where people have been shot for wearing a mask.

Never heard of the place is it anywhere near Trumpland?

On 24/02/2022, 21:46:18, kiplette said:

I don't think I realised that you are not only antivaxx but also anti mask and everything.

Should people not have the freedom to protect themselves from Covid with a decent mask? 

Why do you think that is laughable?

Wear a mask if you like.  Do you really think they protect you ? Covid is running rampant in the schools where they have maskenpflicht.  Are there any scientific studies out there that tell us that masks work ?

If it makes people feel safe then fine but I'll be taking mine off here as soon as possible. I've mentioned them in restaurants before.  It's pure theatre and virtue signaling. 

Have to say i have next to no faith in masks. They sell well though.

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

I've mentioned them in restaurants before.  It's pure theatre

This I agree with. I have not been eating in such settings. I have a kitchen and can cook, no need. No wish to sit inside with random people.

On public transport? Oh please a mask. 

Someone linked a study about FFP2 masks and efficacy, and they came out well. No idea where to find it, unfortunately, and the search function has not been my friend. Scraps of fabric probably not so much.

Virtue signalling? Oh haha. That's just silly. People eating in restaurants are not signalling anything except to the restaurant owners, who are no doubt deeply grateful.

On 24/02/2022, 10:21:39, kiplette said:

Bojo hopes to rise again by being the hero who lifted corona restrictions.

This just happens to occur just at the time he and his govt are embroiled in so much shit.

He plays his supporters like a fiddle and they dance along to his tune every fucking time.

Well, I'm back. I didn't get any comments, but it's possible people smirked or sniggered. The difference there vs here is immediately noticeable, starting with the tube ride from the airport where most people had nothing on. We went to the Tate, National Gallery and shops here and there, and basically nobody was masked. Some employees were, though. We also went to the Clapham Grand for a stand-up show (lots of fun) but I was the ONLY one in the audience wearing a mask, as far as I could see. A couple of ushers did too, but not even my friends kept their's on. It was very uncomfortable with a mask, but I kept it on. Given how packed the place was, it probably didn't do much for me, but I'd like to say that I tried (even though REALLY trying would have meant NOT going to the show...).

Apart from that, no issues with just proof of vaccination to enter the UK and back to Germany, though I tested myself before each flight.

16 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

The difference there vs here is immediately noticeable, starting with the tube ride from the airport where most people had nothing on.

I didn't know FKK tube travel was so popular in England!:D

But, jesting aside, many thanks for the update,  really informative.