Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

323 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, HEM said:

Pales into insignificance compared to us not having a Christmas pud this year (need a 2-pounder).

Poor you. My wife learned to make them when we lived in England, so we still managed the usual two over Christmas, with a spare to be eaten at Easter. 

As for tea, it has been over two years since I've last been back to the UK, and due to frankly appalling planning on my part, I actually managed to completely run out of tea at one point last summer. After a desperate search, I can confirm that if there's a tea shop near you, get yourself some "Kenia GFOP Tindaret". You'll want it twice as strong as recommended, but it ends up as a very decent cup of proper tea (the colour seems a bit weak, but the flavour is all there). I've grown very fond of it, but as a minimum it'll definitely do the job until your usual supply turns up. I was very lucky to have picked up a kilo of the Kenyan stuff the week before the tea shop was washed away in the floods last year.  

4 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Poor you. My wife learned to make them when we lived in England, so we still managed the usual two over Christmas, with a spare to be eaten at Easter. 

I now make my own mince for the mince pies, I make my own christmas cake, most of which ends up being given to friends (I'm planning on making 2 next year), and I make my own pudding, but only one as the children have never warmed up to them.  I enjoy making it all and it's also nice not having to depend on anyone travelling over to the UK or Ireland around that time of the year.

21 minutes ago, dstanners said:

As for tea, it has been over two years since I've last been back to the UK, and due to frankly appalling planning on my part, I actually managed to completely run out of tea at one point last summer. After a desperate search, I can confirm that if there's a tea shop near you, get yourself some "Kenia GFOP Tindaret". You'll want it twice as strong as recommended, but it ends up as a very decent cup of proper tea (the colour seems a bit weak, but the flavour is all there). I've grown very fond of it, but as a minimum it'll definitely do the job until your usual supply turns up. I was very lucky to have picked up a kilo of the Kenyan stuff the week before the tea shop was washed away in the floods last year.  

We've found a couple of decent brands of loose tea in Edeka and Globus, one is Büntin and the other I've forgotten, I suppose it's sold here because the north of Germany was a black tea drinking area.

15 minutes ago, Tap said:

I enjoy making it all and it's also nice not having to depend on anyone travelling over to the UK or Ireland around that time of the year

Yup, there's some thing satisfying about it.

I have chosen to make rather than buy the pudding for about 15 years now, except for the one year when Waitrose had a cheffy one with a lemon in the middle or something, and I did manage to snag one via a friend. There were pine needle mince pies that years as well.  Heston Blumenthal, probably. They were both a bit weird and ultimately disappointing.

Back to Nigella's non-conformist pud for me (whoever suggested candied ginger, I did shove some in but it wasn't noticeable, so I think I'm going to try that again next year but with loads more) and mine pies from a school fundraising book from 20+ years ago, where Nana Somebody or other's favourite recipe really did change the game.

15 hours ago, HEM said:

Pales into insignificance compared to us not having a Christmas pud this year (need a 2-pounder).

However, the subsitute steamed syrup pudding I made all went - step grandaughter eating 3 helpings.

OK, we need your recipe for that. :-)

8 hours ago, Metall said:

OK, we need your recipe for that. :-)

At your service...

Steamed Syrup Pudding

Source: "Every Day Cook Book" by Marguerite Patten

1–2 tablespoons       Golden Syrup (Tate & Lyle's)
3oz            80g         Butter or Margarine  (I used margerine)
3oz            80g         Castor Sugar  (= feinste Zücker)
2                               Eggs
4oz.         110g         Plain flour
1 teaspoon                Baking Powder

Put golden syrup into greased pudding basin.  Cream margarine and sugar together and add eggs.  Stir in flour and baking powder with milk to make dropping consistency.  Pour into basin on top of syrup.  Cover with foil and steam for a good 1 ½ hours.  Turn out onto a hot dish and serve with custard or similar.

*** When you put it into pudding basin that should only be about half full as it rises.,..
*** For Christmas I made 1.5 x quantity & steamed for 2 hours.

On 19/12/2021, 11:40:48, theGman said:

Whatever. I am feeling wounded. My parents are devastated. We have had to call off our trip with just 24hours to go. It's emotionally exhausting. Not to mention how much money we've just lost. All our Christmas presents are in the wrong country. The thought of spending Christmas with my anti-vax father in law...

Germany will be swimming in Omicron in 2 weeks anyway.

Like I said, fuck this shit.

And now, a twist to my tale. I've got covid. 14 days of quarantine anyway. Happy fucking new year.

On 8.1.2022, 21:00:56, HEM said:

Source: "Every Day Cook Book" by Marguerite Patten

Good grief, @HEM I thought I recognised the recipe...

Got the book back in my student days as a "standard work".

Impression from 1982 - original copyright 1968.

Ah, traditional cooking at it's best.
Now I just have 11 months to practise the mince pie recipie

B)

18 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Good grief, @HEM I thought I recognised the recipe...

Me too. My mum used to make it for me, so it's been many years since I last ate it. I even recall the smell of it: so good, it was impossible to wait for it to be cool enough to eat. I always ended up burning my mouth, but not caring. 

Of course, it's now only 10:30 in the morning, and my stomach is desperate for that heavy, sweet, steaming hot pudding! 

Brilliant.

1 hour ago, dstanners said:

Of course, it's now only 10:30 in the morning, and my stomach is desperate for that heavy, sweet, steaming hot pudding!

Actually mine turns out to be incredibly light (or course anything is "light" compared to Christmas pudding - which has the density of uranium).

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Actually mine turns out to be incredibly light (or course anything is "light" compared to Christmas pudding - which has the density of uranium).

So what is the critical mass of Christmas pud?

Too much and I'm asleep on the sofa until supper time.

Too little, and I'm awake for the queen's Christmas address and can quote it later.

Just right, not to choke on the euro pieces but to still want (and be able to refuse!!) a further helping.

16 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

So what is the critical mass of Christmas pud?

Well, at least in the past M&S used to sell their range of puds as 1 lb, 2 lb & 3 lb.

Given that there was no 4 lb pudding I would deduce that the critical mass is somewhere between 3 lb & 4 lb.

Too little, and I'm awake for the queen's Christmas address and can quote it later.

Ah - the days before YouTube.

I must be missing something. Pudding. Reminds me of school dinners. :huh:

They want to invent a new "platinum" pudding for Lill's 70th coronation party. Dunno, seems to me like they are trying to distract the masses.

Also street parties. Street parties? Reminds me of the 1950s... not that I was there...

And they are going to show the plebs the inside of Queenie's various abodes. Are they trying to incite the struggling masses to rioting? I mean, if you are living in a crumbly old dog kennel (British housing stock... hmm...) that you will be paying the bank hundreds of thousands for for the next two decades, do you really wanna see how the other half live?

I cannot believe they are doing this.

Royalty-bombing the Great British Public. I could really give this one a miss. I shall give this one a miss.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59929077

I remember street parties for the silver jubilee (1977) though did not go to one.  And a special food for such occasions has a long history (again, something I never did).  Did you hear about someone the other day, asking if the BBC could play "God Save the Queen" at "close-down", as they did until recently.   Newsnight obliged.

They'll be sending Kate down the local food bank to tickle the ivories next.

They are so unbelievably off-course. Are their advisors trying to topple the monarchy or do they really think the public is going to be up for this? Give 'em a rock concert. Oh boy.

Queen is still quite popular.  Even the Newsnight thing was piss-take of the Conservative MP, rather than her.  

Lill has borne her lot stoically. She has been irreproachable. She is a woman, right?

I notice that since Phil did the off she has acquired quite a twinkle in her eye. Wondering about that butler. But that's just me. I hope she is happy.

But the firm. The Firm... I suspect Harry is soon to be vindicated.

The Queen Mum said, "Never let 'em over yer doorstep." So true. And "Take off one piece of jewelry after putting on what you think is alright." I like a bit of restraint.

Zadok the Priest and a bit of low-key stuff at Westminster Abbey would have done it for me.

They are planning a circus.

On 1/7/2022, 4:10:52, Chelski said:

Really? So chilled haddock fishcakes (suitable for home freezing) or chilled haddock and potato pie (suitable for home freezing) are Ok?

61dc62e9c80a4_fishimport.jpg.74465dc66f4

Not sure if that covers fish cakes or not. It seems impossible to actually work out what you can or can't bring in. Here is the link 

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm#shortcut-3

I always bring back loads of spices, including whole black pepper corn by the kilo, from our Asian friends on Frod Road. Hope this will still be possible. :huh:

Oh wow! So according to @skadi the wet fish in a backpack scenario is indeed perfectly possible, supposing he is eviscerated, and he could weigh up to 20 kg! Stonker of a fish.

But the smoked haddock could also be in that backpack, back to what people were actually wanting :) - pretty sure fish cakes are a processed fishery product, too.