Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

323 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021, 11:37:54, GC Hamburg said:

That's the thing, I feel like people who travel by plane are an easy target, it's always the same. It's a massive cliche to be afraid of the people who are flying when the variant is already here - doubly so when the amount of people being tested in DE is about a third/a quarter of the amount being tested in the UK.

I wish you a great Christmas whatever you plan to do. We're going to go see the in-laws, which is always a pleasure, albeit it one that we've experienced more than seeing my family in the UK.

Fingers crossed for next year. Hopefully, we'll fly over when it's all died down and have a Christmas.Mark.2 - although my wife is 6 months pregnant and I'll have to fly alone with my son.

I always thought Christmas was meant to be tears after Monopoly, not tears a week before the big day. Haha.

Wish everyone the best of luck whatever they decide :) 

German health ministry must be pleased to be able to point the finger at someone else rather than accepting they've, once again, cocked up the vaccine booster rollout just when they had it cracked.

We took the chance that they will relax the quarantine rules to allow test to release, the sudden rule change happened just as we were due to leave.

Quarantine rules for variants of concern extended until March, France and Italy despite having equal or worse infection rates were not added to the areas of concern.

Smells a lot like political bullshit.

3 hours ago, bennetn said:

Quarantine rules for variants of concern extended until March, France and Italy despite having equal or worse infection rates were not added to the areas of concern.

Smells a lot like political bullshit.

That's not quite how I understand it. From Jan 4th there will be no more countries on the variant list.

RKI

"ab Dienstag, 4. Januar 2022 um 0:00 Uhr, werden die bisher als Virusvariantengebiete eingestuften Länder als Hochrisikogebiete eingestuft, kurzfristige Änderungen sind möglich"

So I say a big fuck you very much RKI for ruining Christmas for no reason. We were booked to come back on Jan 6th, so we could have gone through with our trip after all.

Fuckity fucking fuck fuck.

1 minute ago, theGman said:

That's not quite how I understand it. From Jan 4th there will be no more countries on the variant list.

RKI

"ab Dienstag, 4. Januar 2022 um 0:00 Uhr, werden die bisher als Virusvariantengebiete eingestuften Länder als Hochrisikogebiete eingestuft, kurzfristige Änderungen sind möglich"

So I say a big fuck you very much RKI for ruining Christmas for no reason. We were booked to come back on Jan 6th, so we could have gone through with our trip after all.

Fuckity fucking fuck fuck.

Feel for you!

Yeah, just got the heads up...190 quid worth of PCR tests now redundant and trying to rebook to original dates but, at least, I can go out when I get back.

I had to go back for my mother's funeral and had expected my wife and kids to follow as per our original plans. We scrapped that when we heard of the 14 days quarantine meaning I spent Christmas in the UK while wife and kids were home in DE. I am also now back and despite booster and PCR and many antigen tests for my own peace of mind, I am stuck at home until the 10th. I will probably spend NYE alone also. Ho hum. Paid for unrequired PCR tests for my Wife and eldest too.

A reclassification of the UK to high risk means I will have a way out of Quarantine, I hope. 

If Germany already got enough variant infections, why should it enforce rules against the same variant from other countries, unless there is a new variant. If they do, that will be political gimmick with no thoughts, or ?

10 hours ago, bobD said:

We scrapped that when we heard of the 14 days quarantine meaning I spent Christmas in the UK while wife and kids were home in DE.

That is awful at such a time. 

Glad you could get there for the funeral, but what a price to pay. 

I feel for all of you who have been hard done by this recent turn of events which no one could have foreseen. Take some small comfort in that you acted with due diligence and in good faith.

Happy New Year to you all and let us hope for better things in the future.

On 31.12.2021, 11:37:37, fraufruit said:

My sincere condolences, bobD.

Thank you FF.

On 12/30/2021, 11:50:43, bobD said:

I had to go back for my mother's funeral and had expected my wife and kids to follow as per our original plans. We scrapped that when we heard of the 14 days quarantine meaning I spent Christmas in the UK while wife and kids were home in DE. I am also now back and despite booster and PCR and many antigen tests for my own peace of mind, I am stuck at home until the 10th. I will probably spend NYE alone also. Ho hum. Paid for unrequired PCR tests for my Wife and eldest too.

A reclassification of the UK to high risk means I will have a way out of Quarantine, I hope. 

Sorry to hear that.  You can get out of quarantine as at midnight tonight.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/en/coronavirus/infos-reisende/faq-tests-einreisende.html

After having stayed in an area classified as an area of variants of concern at the time of entry into the Federal Republic of Germany, the quarantine period lasts for a period of 14 days and cannot be ended early. However, there is the possibility of shortening the self-isolation period by submitting a negative test result if the respective area of variants of concern is downgraded during the self-isolation period following entry into Germany. In this case, when the self-isolation period ends depends on the regulations for high-risk areas.

32 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

So BoJo is saying from Friday 4 am the pre-departure test won't be needed, and the day 2 test can be lateral flow WITHOUT isolating...

UK Covid live: Boris Johnson confirms pre-departure tests for travellers to England to be scrapped | Politics | The Guardian

Absolutely crazy, no way I would want to be cooped up on a plane with people who had not been tested even to the the minimum level. It will be train only for me. Or maybe Germany will make airports 2G+.

2 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Absolutely crazy, no way I would want to be cooped up on a plane with people who had not been tested even to the the minimum level. It will be train only for me.

Did you mean car instead of train?

Oh these sodding politicians.

It has been So Expensive with all this testing, and the whole Day 2 thing is such a joke.

Hey ho.

Agreed, a LF before travel is a very good plan. No need to take that requirement away, it's not really such a Thing anyway.

Yo, it s like english weather. Just give em 5 minutes and they ll come up with another cunning plan.

1 hour ago, Chelski said:

Did you mean car instead of train?

Sadly our car is getting a bit long in the tooth and I would not risk driving it to the UK, at least the train is 3G and you are not packed in like sardines.

So I changed my FRA-STN-FRA flight from mid December to this weekend: Friday to Sunday 7 Jan 7am to 9 Jan 7pm. The guidance on the UK government website has been updated, but really doesn't help:  Travel to England from another country during coronavirus (COVID-19) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

It says until 4 am Friday, I can't even book the Day 2 antigen test that would be allowed for flights landing in the UK after 4 am Friday. What? Why can't the booking be made available earlier? I have to book the antigen test 3 hours before my flight? How do I check in? And, you can't even TAKE the antigen test until AFTER 4 am on Sunday! What the fuck is wrong with these assholes? Yes, it's a rhetorical question.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going. Too much stress.