Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

321 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, xioxox said:

Does anyone know what should happen in this case?

Mr. Google does.

Quarantine means quarantine.  No contact with others, as I understand it.  

Translated from this site:

Travelers from virus-variant areas must go into quarantine for 14 days after entry. This can take place in domestic isolation at the place of residence or also in a hotel.

Fully vaccinated or even recovered persons are not exempt from quarantine.

During quarantine, it is not allowed to leave the house or apartment and receive visitors. Remember: this measure is for the protection of your family, neighbors, and everyone else around you. Violations of the quarantine rules may result in fines!

If you have any questions about quarantine, please contact the responsible authorities (e.g. public health department) at your destination. Information of the federal states can be found under the following links

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

Which we are doing. 

Unfortunately, it may not be sufficient. 

Not that I don't get your point, and kid#2 would have more happily aborted and stayed there. 

That actually wasn't my point.

Public transport requires everyone to do their own part:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/05/argentina-covid-flight-florida-vaccine/

We only know about cases that make the news:

https://www.rtl.de/cms/hildesheim-3-senioren-tot-infizierte-pflegerin-arbeitete-mit-fake-impfpass-tochter-hat-angst-um-ihre-mutter-4886342.html 

Feel for you :mellow:. Really I do.  Explete, kick the wall and have a good cry. Then

pick yourselves up and make the best of what you do have. 

This is my 3rd xmas without seeing my son/family/friends. It is hard as hell.

I also just learned that our trip to Italy in March to meet up with Ami friends will be cancelled due to new US travel restrictions. That was really the only thing I had to look forward to in a long time.

So depressing.

9 hours ago, engelchen said:

All types of public transportation.

After the experience of Delta last year, the German government should have imposed the virus variant rules last week before the weekend travel rush.

The biggest problem with the Covid policies is that they are dependent on people actually following them. I think the pandemic has more than adequately demonstrated how the selfishness and disregard of a few can adversely effect the rest of the world.

After the experience of Delta last year, the German government should know that travel bans and quarantines aren't really going to do Jack-all. Omicron is already here. If people have to obtain a negative test before they fly to Germany, what's the point of the quarantine? Just to make absolutely sure that flyers aren't contracting it within the space of a couple of days? The average incubation time for COVID is about 5-6 days, so a 14 day quarantine is quite heavy handed and won't stop Omicron from spreading anyway. It's quite nonsensical. Why not just have a test to release after five days, at least then with the negative test before the flight and one five days later, that's two negatives in a week.

Anyway, I like others have had our first Christmas back in England for a while cancelled. Or near enough. We're still deliberating but we haven't had a Christmas in England since 2018 and it would have been the first time with our son, who is just over two years old. Presents all bought, flights, rental car, Father Christmas costume to be worn by granddad, all totally ruined because the German government thought their plan was so good for Delta, it might work for Omicron too. What a disaster. Grandparents in tears, no presents or much decor here in Germany because we thought we'd be in UK from Dec 23rd.

Why a two week quarantine? We're both double vaxxed, both would do a test before flight back to Germany, it does make sense.

All along it s been non-sensical, incoherent, illogical and ineffective. Clearly, the people inventing the rules are not up to the task. Headless chickens. Think they said that about the Great War. Nothing changes.

The Chinese contained it in woohaaland initially (so we were led to believe) by extreme measures that western governments dared not implement.

Ironic that the Dutch did not have a lockdown when the rest of Europe did, and rioted at one point when there were restrictions. Now they are the first to lockdown. I guess bitter experience is what it took to learn the lesson. 

I think we have lost the battle and it will do its merry thing. Man is no obstacle to Mother Nature.

I'm so terribly sorry for all of you and have much sympathy.

Somehow trying to feel like we are all in this together doesn't really help.

Hugs all around.

7 hours ago, xioxox said:

I'm currently in the UK and have a flight booked back to Germany in early January. If the rules don't change, I'm trying to understand the quarantine rules for returning people. The rules say that one must quarantine for 14 days, and cannot leave the house or receive visitors. What the rules don't mention is what about other family members you live with who didn't travel to the UK. Presumably they aren't visitors and therefore can they come and go as they please? Does anyone know what should happen in this case?

sorry I can’t answer the question, but I’d assume Omicron is a problem in Germany by that point so the chances of it still being an area with a “variant of concern” is going to be lower. 
hope it works out ok for you 

I was due to fly back to the UK on Thursday to spend Christmas with family, obviously that's fallen through now. I've been looking forward to it for months, so it's a massive disappointment. I did briefly consider going anyway, then booking a return flight to Prague and taking the train over the border into Germany, then lying about having been in the UK on the Einreiseanmeldung, but that would really stupid and irresponsible. Other countries are likely to follow France and Germany's lead anyway, I think.

As others have said, omicron is here so it's a bit late for this now. It's just a massive blow to expats who were looking forward to a quiet Christmas with their families. The same thing happened last Christmas with delta, and I was of the mindset that "it's just a one-off and it'll be OK next year when we have the vaccines", but here we are again. 

7 hours ago, dstanners said:

Just broke the news to my kids. Absolute cr@p. Everyone involved for our planned trip (UK and D) is vaccinated and boostered, including staying in an empty house for two days on arrival, and all social activities (apart from meeting my aged father and siblings) were cancelled in advance. Sorted out problems with my bl00dy covid app (the JJ + full fat Moderna as a booster isn't a common choice), van is full of enough diesel to get us there without even stopping, presents are wrapped, and even emergency post-f@cking-Brexit vet bookings are in place to take the dog. Haven't been back or seen my family for two years. Omnicron is already in Germany.  

Going to be a very quiet Christmas at our house this year. Hmm, perhaps this belongs on the vent section. Right, time to tell my Dad...

Same here. We've had the kid out of Kita all week. Everyone boostered up. Home office. My sister has been isolating herself. Etc etc etc. Travellers are an easy target. Especially the Brexit island. Helps distract from the policy failings at home.

2 hours ago, GC Hamburg said:

Anyway, I like others have had our first Christmas back in England for a while cancelled. Or near enough. We're still deliberating but we haven't had a Christmas in England since 2018 and it would have been the first time with our son, who is just over two years old. Presents all bought, flights, rental car, Father Christmas costume to be worn by granddad, all totally ruined because the German government thought their plan was so good for Delta, it might work for Omicron too. What a disaster. Grandparents in tears, no presents or much decor here in Germany because we thought we'd be in UK from Dec 23rd.

Why a two week quarantine? We're both double vaxxed, both would do a test before flight back to Germany, it does make sense.

Exactly the same here. 2 year old. Grandparents crying all day. Last Christmas for me was 2017. We'll have to go present shopping this week, ffs.

16 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Sorry for all you guys. I don't think travel bans do anything when the variant is already here. 

I have to give the UK a little credit for removing all African countries from their red list last week. They said the variant at that point was in the country. No point punishing people anymore than necessary.

24 minutes ago, theGman said:

Same here. We've had the kid out of Kita all week. Everyone boostered up. Home office. My sister has been isolating herself. Etc etc etc. Travellers are an easy target. Especially the Brexit island. Helps distract from the policy failings at home.

Exactly the same here. 2 year old. Grandparents crying all day. Last Christmas for me was 2017. We'll have to go present shopping this week, ffs.

That's the thing, I feel like people who travel by plane are an easy target, it's always the same. It's a massive cliche to be afraid of the people who are flying when the variant is already here - doubly so when the amount of people being tested in DE is about a third/a quarter of the amount being tested in the UK.

I wish you a great Christmas whatever you plan to do. We're going to go see the in-laws, which is always a pleasure, albeit it one that we've experienced more than seeing my family in the UK.

Fingers crossed for next year. Hopefully, we'll fly over when it's all died down and have a Christmas.Mark.2 - although my wife is 6 months pregnant and I'll have to fly alone with my son.

I always thought Christmas was meant to be tears after Monopoly, not tears a week before the big day. Haha.

Wish everyone the best of luck whatever they decide :) 

As I'm due to fly back to Germany from the UK with Lufthansa, their pages say "Lufthansa is currently only allowed to carry the following booked passengers on departures (or travel commencements) from the countries of the Virus variant areas: -    Passengers with German nationality or passengers with a valid residence permit in Germany (upon presentation of a German registration certificate). " or in German "Passagiere mit deutscher Nationalität bzw. Passagiere mit einem gültigen Wohnsitz und Aufenthaltstitel in Deutschland (unter Vorlage einer deutschen Meldebescheinigung).".

So that implies I need to have a Meldebescheigung to get back into Germany, even though I have a permanent residence permit. Is that really so? Unfortunately I don't have one with me. I wonder if it's possible to get the Rathaus to send me one in a foreign country?

I would first query it with Lufthansa before contacting the Rathaus. It sounds like lax use of language. If you have a valid residence permit, you have a valid residence permit.

On 21/12/2021, 17:35:11, optimista said:

I would first query it with Lufthansa before contacting the Rathaus. It sounds like lax use of language. If you have a valid residence permit, you have a valid residence permit.

Thanks for the suggestion. Lufthasna don't seem to answer their phones or reply to messages. However, I got a response on Twitter - apparently, they can't give advice on entry regulations, despite having this information on their website! They wouldn't even tell me it was correct. The German diplomatic service have this information on their website, however:

*It is up to the Federal Police to decide what documents count as adequate evidence of residence. Airlines, too, often carry out strict checks on this at check-in. The following documents can be used as evidence of residence in Germany:

Residence registration certificates, confirmations of registration with a foreigners authority, especially in connection with the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the EU, tenancy agreements, payslips from a German employer, tax statements, account statements, credit card statements, electricity bills, telephone/internet bills, Part I of a Registration Certificate (vehicle registration certificate) and similar documents. A single document is not normally sufficient. The more supporting documents you can present as proof, the better. We advise expressly that these documents are mentioned by way of example and this list is not exhaustive.

So I hope printing out some bank statements and my last pay slip may be enough to satisfy the airline/border police if my residence permit is questioned.