Traveling to UK from Germany - quarantine rules

84 posts in this topic

I am fully vaccinated (Pfizer BioNtech), and due to fly to the UK for four days to see family, but as the UK is now classified as a high incidence area by Robert Koch Institute, I am not even sure if I can go now if, as seems to be the case, a 14 day quarantine is required once I arrive back in Germany. Is anyone else here planning a trip to the UK from Germany soon? What are your thoughts?

I would also love to get back to the UK for a visit, but as you say, I believe the quarantine afterwards would make it impossible for me - don´t get that much holiday from work!

I guess for those in home office it might be a different story, as they are at home all day anyway...

From this website:

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/quarantaene-einreise/2371468#content_0

yes, one would have to go into quarantine upon return, but can get tested after 5 days, and if negative, the quarantine is over...

31 minutes ago, Chocky said:

if, as seems to be the case, a 14 day quarantine is required once I arrive back in Germany

RKI : '...or does not have to be started if proof of recovery, proof of vaccination...'

bit lower down the page: 'Quarantine can be ended in each case from the time the negative test result has been submitted. If you have spent time in a high incidence area prior to entry, the relevant test may not be conducted earlier than five days after entry.'

My other half was back in the UK for a course a few weeks back. It was an area of variant concern. He was excused quarantine on the UK side by arrangement with his course provider and the Home Office (tests still booked and carried out), but on return he had to stay literally in his room with his own loo and not share space with us for 14 days, no negotiation possible (or we could all have quarantined). The Alter Wilhelm came to check up on him, and he had to hang out of the window to show his face. He was able to work from home, which makes all the difference.

Now the UK is simply high incidence things are easier. Presumably that's because the delta variant is here already so that ship has sailed. It seems to be the SA variant they are trying to keep at bay, looking at the list.

My reading of that RKI document is that if you are vaccinated, you don't have to quarantine. If you are not vaccinated, you must quarantine for 5 days and then do a negative test and get out of jail early.

Presumably you still have to quarantine in the UK, having bought a Day 2 test and a Day 5 test in advance for your Entry docs? 

So for you Chocky, as a vaccinated individual, you will have 5 days quarantine in the UK and then none on return. The UK will not accept your vaccination status because the NHS didn't do it and everyone else is an incompetent loser (is what I understand).

Hopefully someone else will chime in who has actually travelled since the new change, but I would say you are good to go.

Rob - are you vaccinated?

caveat - I personally think going back is a crap idea - numbers are way high again in the UK and set to rise astronomically. Unless you stay really private and absolutely trust the covid-sense of the people you visit, then you run the risk of testing positive before your flight/ferry home, and that really buggers it all up. We will re-think in the autumn. Both my UK kids currently know several positive cases.

14 minutes ago, kiplette said:

RKI : '...or does not have to be started if proof of recovery, proof of vaccination...'

bit lower down the page: 'Quarantine can be ended in each case from the time the negative test result has been submitted. If you have spent time in a high incidence area prior to entry, the relevant test may not be conducted earlier than five days after entry.'

Yes, I saw that just after I started this topic (facepalm) - so it looks as if I'm good to go.

If you have had the two doses + 14 days after second dose then there's no problem, you can travel to the UK and not have to quarantine upon your return to Germany. You just have to upload proof of vaccine on the Einreisemeldung. I'm not sure what the rules are for entry into the UK but definitely return to Germany won't be a problem.

59 minutes ago, Chocky said:

It looks like the UK is about to start accepting those fully vaccinated from the EU https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/26/covid-quarantine-for-britons-vaccinated-abroad-to-be-dropped?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Unfortunately from what the article says, this requires someone's UK GP to approve their vaccine status (likely after a consultation). How many people living in the EU (still) have a UK GP?

At the moment it's clear.

Only those vaccinated in the UK by the NHS can go to the UK from Germany.  A test before going and another test on day2 in the UK is still required though. This is the current UK rule. But the UK is working on recognising non-UK vaccinations:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/ministers-close-to-allowing-quarantine-free-travel-to-uk-for-fully-vaccinated-foreign-nationals-1122271

Going from Germany to the UK is fine if you are fully vaccinated. No quarantine required. Just need to register at https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/

My parents are coming over today. They can go back to the UK as long as the do the test in Germany before leaving and they have booked a day2 test for when they are in the UK. As things stand, I cannot go back to the UK without quarantine. But I am hopeful this will change before I am due to go in mid-August.

At the moment Germany is on the UK Amber list, which means that it is only people who have been vaccinated in the UK Vaccination Program that don't need to quarantine:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list-rules-if-you-are-not-fully-uk-vaccinated

"Amber list rules if you are not fully UK vaccinated

These rules apply if you are not fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme.

Before travel to England

Before you travel to England you must:

On arrival in England

On arrival in England you must:

• quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
  • take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

Read about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests.

Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 or day 8 test.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme."

My other half used

https://dantelabs.co.uk/

and said it was all very easy. He was able to claim his expenses through work, but we still looked for a non rip-off option, and they are not too bad.

If your carrier provides the tests that's probably the best value, but not necessarily.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/how-to-find-the-cheapest-private-coronavirus-tests-for-travel/#cheapest might help out with finding value for money options. Royal Mail have a series of priority postboxes https://www.royalmail.com/services-near-you#/ some of which show up on google maps ;)

He took a LAMP test at the airport (Heathrow) before flying back to Germany.  Needed booked online in advance. Best to check which tests are currently acceptable for country and carrier - apparently it varies.

21 hours ago, theGman said:

At the moment it's clear.

Only those vaccinated in the UK by the NHS can go to the UK from Germany. 

You may want to revise that opening sentence in your last comment @theGman  - it would be helpful for any newcomers to this thread.

21 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

At the moment Germany is on the UK Amber list, which means that it is only people who have been vaccinated in the UK Vaccination Program that don't need to quarantine

Ok, next question, is anyone clear on what kind of Covid-19 test is permitted by the UK authorities? It seems that a basic antigen test (the type which is currently offered free in Germany) is sufficient https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england - 

"This could include tests such as:

a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests

an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device"

It's probably best to check on a government site but on the BBC it mentions - https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58006163

"Under the new rules, from 04:00 BST on Monday of next week, 2 August, fully vaccinated US and EU travellers arriving from amber countries will not need to quarantine or take a test on day eight of their arrival.

However, they will still need to take a pre-departure test and a PCR test on the second day after they arrive.

Arrivals will also still need to complete a passenger locator form. Under-18s will be exempt from isolation, and some will not have to test, depending on their age.

Separate rules will continue to apply for those arriving from France. Travellers who have been in France in the 10 days before arriving in England must quarantine for 10 days after arrival, and take a Covid test on or before day two and on or after day eight, even if fully vaccinated."

This is providing that Germany is still on the UK's Amber list and that could also change whenever the UK government reviews these things.

A friend of mine who was vaccinated in the UK lives in Portugal and he went back to the UK a couple of weeks ago and he had an antigen test and that was ok for entry but I suppose if you want to be 100% sure of not having any entry problems then a PCR is going to be best.

2 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

It's probably best to check on a government site but on the BBC it mentions - https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58006163

"Under the new rules, from 04:00 BST on Monday of next week, 2 August, fully vaccinated US and EU travellers arriving from amber countries will not need to quarantine or take a test on day eight of their arrival.

However, they will still need to take a pre-departure test and a PCR test on the second day after they arrive.

Arrivals will also still need to complete a passenger locator form. Under-18s will be exempt from isolation, and some will not have to test, depending on their age.

Separate rules will continue to apply for those arriving from France. Travellers who have been in France in the 10 days before arriving in England must quarantine for 10 days after arrival, and take a Covid test on or before day two and on or after day eight, even if fully vaccinated."

This is providing that Germany is still on the UK's Amber list and that could also change whenever the UK government reviews these things.

A friend of mine who was vaccinated in the UK lives in Portugal and he went back to the UK a couple of weeks ago and he had an antigen test and that was ok for entry but I suppose if you want to be 100% sure of not having any entry problems then a PCR is going to be best.

I am going to wait and see what happens with France, no point having to quarantine just for travelling through it for possibly 30 mins to get to Calais. Hopefully by the time I want to travel things will have improved a bit.

22 hours ago, SusieT said:

I am going to wait and see what happens with France, no point having to quarantine just for travelling through it for possibly 30 mins to get to Calais. Hopefully by the time I want to travel things will have improved a bit.

As long as you don't stop and mingle in France it doesn't count so you'll be ok.

3 hours ago, AdHa said:

As long as you don't stop and mingle in France it doesn't count so you'll be ok.

Where did you read this?

Even transiting through France is enough to cause a mandatory 10 day quarantine period 

Yup. Even if you stay in your vehicle and just hand over your passport, you are still liable for quarantine.

from https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fully-vaccinated-arrivals-from-france-to-england-must-continue-to-quarantine

This includes any fully vaccinated individual who transits through France from either a green or another amber country to reach England. 

Exception:

Some operators may make specific arrangements compliant with the public health regulations that allow for transit without quarantine, for example those travelling by train from Belgium, so travellers should check with their operator.

On 28.7.2021, 08:42:57, Chocky said:

Ok, next question, is anyone clear on what kind of Covid-19 test is permitted by the UK authorities? It seems that a basic antigen test (the type which is currently offered free in Germany) is sufficient https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england - 

"This could include tests such as:

a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests

an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device"

Yeah a free Schnelltest should suffice and is what I hope to use when I visit the UK in a couple of weeks. I emailed the test centre at Dresden airport to ask about the specificity and sensitivity specifications (below) and they confirmed that their Anitgen tests do meet these specs. The concern I have is that the gov.uk website also requires that the test result is in English (or French/Spanish, but not German) and also shows your date of birth. I've taken quite a few Schnelltests and none of them have shown my date of birth, and all of them were in German. I guess the question is how strictly these trivial requirements are checked... I'm assuming they're checked by airline staff prior to boarding? If so, you wouldn't think Lufthansa staff would care if it's in German or missing the DOB.

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

I am off to England tomorrow and got a Schnelltest in town this morning. The results have English in the important places and include my birthdate. Sensitivity and specificity are as required in the post above. I also filled in the Passenger Locator Form which is a huge thing and arranged for my Day 2 test in the UK. I will be back in Germany before the test arrives at the lab but hey ho, those are the rules.

14 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:

I am off to England tomorrow and got a Schnelltest in town this morning. The results have English in the important places and include my birthdate. Sensitivity and specificity are as required in the post above. I also filled in the Passenger Locator Form which is a huge thing and arranged for my Day 2 test in the UK. I will be back in Germany before the test arrives at the lab but hey ho, those are the rules.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes, especially on arrival in England. I'll also be on my way back to Germany by the time I get the result from the day-2 test, a complete waste of time (and money) for shorter visits such as ours.

I went ahead and booked my Kostenloser Bürgertest at the departure airport in Dresden. I have a connection in Frankfurt before heading to LHR, so I assume the relevant checks will be done prior to boarding in Frankfurt.