Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Radiator off but heating is still present

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I would like to ask support on the radiator of my new place. I have all the radiators on the off option (snowflake), however according to the instructions, this still sets the temperature to be at 6C. I cannot move the valve any further than the snowflake.

The issue is that the rooms are still super hot and I cannot find a way to turn off them completely, as there is no "0" in the valve.

Do you happen to know where can I turn off it completely or shall I complain to the landlord.

Thanks

31786CCD-EB52-4B56-88D5-3D25CD33B786.jpeg

No the radiators are not warm but the rooms are super warm. Including for instance also the corridor where the floor is heated (although there is no floor heating).

Something that I cannot understand is why these radiators have the snowflake effect (with temperatures at 6C) when there are warm temperatures in the Summer. I have been used to radiators which are set to "0" and turn off completely. But this seems to be not the case here.

They are turned off completely if they are not warm. They won't automatically turn on unless it gets below 6°.

Your problem is the weather and lack of AC, sorry to say. 

The heating system is almost always turned off during sommer

Its just very hot and the heat has come into where you live

Open the windows at night, let in the cooler air, in the morning close the windows and put the shutter down if you have one

Take a cold bath

drink cold drinks....

Your raditor will warm up in the winter time if you set the control to 2 or 3 or higher. 

The snow flake, is the temperature at which the radiator will come on ( maybe 9 deg ) to warm the room, it does not cool your room, u would need air con to do that

What everybody else said.  If your radiator is not hot, it's not on.  If you complain to the landlord, he will either have no idea what you are talking about or he will laugh.  The 6° setting on your radiator is there to make sure that it doesn't go lower than 6° in winter to prevent the water from freezing and damaging the pipes.  In summer, it wont do a thing.  Your radiator will not turn on unless you set it to something higher than the current temperature in your house.

Houses tend to retain heat so when it's 30° outside, day after day, your heat inside will slowly rise to match that temperature and they are a bit harder to cool down.  Keep your windows, rolling shutters, curtains or whatever you have closed during the day.  When the outside temps go lower than inside, open all your windows to air out.  Close them again in the morning when the temps outside start to rise.

The reason your current apartment may be warmer than some other apartment you had in the past could be that it's top floor, big windows to the south, not well insulated etc. etc.

Hi,

Many thanks all for your advices. 
@LeonG: spot on, it is on the top floor with huge windows faced to the south.

I will close the windows/curtains during the day  and fresh a bit closer to the night and check how it looks

50 minutes ago, Criolo said:

Hi,

Many thanks all for your advices. 
@LeonG: spot on, it is on the top floor with huge windows faced to the south.

I will close the windows/curtains during the day  and fresh a bit closer to the night and check how it looks

I rented an apartment exactly like that and somehow never managed to cool down at night much either, even though I had windows 3 sides, wide open all night long.  Steel shutters really help but if you don't have them and your landlord is not willing to install them, you can look for less expensive "thermorollo" (blinds with a reflective back) or "wärmeschutzfolie" (a film you stick on the glass).  Both are supposed to help keep the heat out.  I had eventually bought thermorollo when I lived at the apartment but ended up moving a bit later so not sure how much they helped.  I worked in a place where they had the film installed and that definitely helped.

20 hours ago, LeonG said:

Steel shutters really help but if you don't have them

you can look for less expensive "thermorollo" (blinds with a reflective back) or "wärmeschutzfolie" (a film you stick on the glass). 

and there is always aluminum foil and scotch tape

2 hours ago, DoubleDTown said:

and there is always aluminum foil and scotch tape

Aluminium foil by itself is not that great,  sheets of carbdoard with foil stuck to it works quite well.   Also more robust and easier to put up, take down.  The mix makes a much better thermal defence than alufoil alone.