Health Insurance for family

8 posts in this topic

I am self employed and have Privat Health Insurance. My wife have public health insurance currently Job center is paying for her insurance. Now she dont have job and from 1st August her health insurance will not be covered by Job Center. I have a questin related to this.

1. I will also switch back to public insurance from 15 August in that case she will be also covered under family insurance. But how will she have  health insurance from 1st August to 15th August? will she be a voluntary member? 

2. I heard they will calculate the premium based on self employed incom, Is it correct?

1. Question - if you remain self-employed, how can you switch to public insurance from Aug 15th? Are you becoming an employee?

2. Your wife's short term voluntary public insurance membership- charged on the basis of half your income. But maybe the public insurer will not bother with payments for such a short period of time. 

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

1. Question - if you remain self-employed, how can you switch to public insurance from Aug 15th? Are you becoming an employee?

2. Your wife's short term voluntary public insurance membership- charged on the basis of half your income.

John g Thank you for reply.
1.Yes i will becom a employee.
2. She will be also be covered on family insurance from 15th. So for 15 Days they will charge based on half of my income? I have contacted TK and they told me for 15 days she will be covered free of cost as she will have a month to choose her insurance. Currently Health insurance is paid by Jobcenter.
I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

That is good news, then! Becoming an employee has saved you a fortune!👍

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

German health insurance system is really complicated. But i am happy it will not have impact on my income. Becoming an employee is saving me.

On 21/07/2021, 17:53:07, john g. said:

@john g. First of all thank you so much. So it means She has one month to join the family insurance or start a new job and public insurance will not charge for one month? 

On 21/07/2021, 17:37:02, john g. said:

2. Your wife's short term voluntary public insurance membership- charged on the basis of half your income.

Good evening, waqasars! I would simply urge your wife to contact her public insurer because they have to understand the situation if the Job Center stop paying. It is only a matter of two weeks and it is a different situation to if someone has just left their job. Make sure she mentions she will be family insured with you after two weeks.

Your wife's Kasse will want payment for the two weeks because the will ask for the proof that she is insured as a family member. Make sure the wife's KK is cancelled as soon as you have confirmation that your wife is insured on your KK or you'll owe them back money. 

The public insurer will initially probably do nothing and then send a letter several weeks later to say the status of your wife's insurance is unclear because the Job centre has stopped paying but they haven't heard anything else (for example from a new employer). They will then advise that unless contact is made, they will put your wife on the standard tariff which is several hundred € per month. Make sure you reach out to them and cancel the moment your new KK confirms her family coverage. It's better to reach out to them already and apply to become freiwillig versichert from date x. They will then send out forms for you to fill in with details about income etc. They will expect to be provided with a Steuerbescheid latest next year to prove what you claim is truthful.

An alternative would be for your wife to apply for ALG2 (I'm assuming she was on ALG1 and is at the end of her 12 months) and then the Job centre will keep paying her KK until they reject the application (which they probably will based on your income). But it would save you about €100 because otherwise she will have to pay the voluntary insurance (freiwillig versichert) rate and even though she has no income, the Kasse will calculate her premium based on a notional minimum premium of slightly of 1k. The minimum you can pay as a voluntary member is about €200 a month.

There can't be a gap in her insurance and the company will make that clear in their letter.