the Olympic Games in Japan

71 posts in this topic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58045775

Unhappy, disqualified French boxer stages a sit-down.

Also interesting, two high jump athletes shared Gold today in a moment of sportsmanship.

And a Berlussian athlete is expelled by her team authorities but refuses to board a plane and has possibly asked for asylum in Austria.

Yes, it was a remarkable day today in Tokyo. Italy took gold in 100m, which was a big surprise. Also, a new world record in women’s triple jump. Old record was from 1995. Viking Daniel Stahl (2.00m, 155 kg) from Sweden took gold in disc throwing yesterday. Don’t want to mess with that guy :).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57836709

Evening, Luke!

When you look at the medals table and look at eg the Netherlands, Switzerland , New Zealand.  even Australia. I can admire. Small populations. 

Yeah, the big populations eg China, the unofficial Russians, the Americans. Powerful sports nations in some/ many sports but not in all. And will always win many medals.

And you have, on the other hand, large populations eg Brazil, Indonesia, India.. medals are not always around.

And, surprisingly, Germany - traditionally, an Olympics powerhouse- not so good so far.

Interesting stuff!

I can't represent team GB this time. Something to do with Covid travel restrictions or something. They rejected me. I was hoping to run the 100 metres this time in a record slow time.😩😂

Indeed, Germany is lagging behind. First medal (bronze) in men’s swimming since 2000. Immerhin! Few finals as well. 

New-Zealand is traditionally good at rowing. Australia at swimming mainly, but also in rowing, athletics, hockey, basketball: very broad.  We took gold in BMX (bicycle) and in windsurfing and participate in almost every sailing class. Expect some more gold in track cycling, athletics and women’s hockey.

Czech Republic and Croatia also doing well.

Most people from India and Indonesia live from day to day and governments don’t foster top sport. If somebody does well, it’s usually privately funded and what you see is that their governments want to take credit when they take home a medal. The audacity!

Indonesia should insist on chess as an Olympics sport, Luke!

👍

A little anecdote  ( I know, I know!😂)...

I am shit at chess and was in a village near Jakarta many moons ago. Now, I was to be the English teacher based there. ( The work a few miles away but they had a centre there for TOEFL candidates ( a special exam for foreigners applying to US universities)..)

Out in the street - and I didn't know Indonesians were passionate about chess - I was walking around and some people spotted me and beckoned me over. Their local hero had challenged me to a chess game.

I was the foreigner - the " bule " - and had to gain respect as the " guru " ( basically, the teacher- not the guru of Beatles' fame etc ).. so .. we played.

Now, he was with a home crowd and smiling, laughing people everywhere, and so we played.

He took the eye off the ball ( so to speak ) and I checkmated him. Not because I am good at chess - I am not - but because he got arrogant.

I was relieved and, erm , surprised.. because I am not a chess guru.

His face then! And the villagers bowing. For me - yeah, cute.. but embarrassing. 

First time, by the way , I had hot tea as a fight against hot temperatures! 😂

18 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Yes, it was a remarkable day today in Tokyo. Italy took gold in 100m, which was a big surprise. 

It shouldn't be though, he's got American genes! :ph34r:

USWNT went down... that was rough... it was a rough olympics all around for them.

Anybody see the GB girl kick ass in BMX Freestyle?!

1 hour ago, BobbyDigital said:

USWNT went down... that was rough... it was a rough olympics all around for them.

The Netherlands didn’t finish the job before 👻.

2 hours ago, BobbyDigital said:

Anybody see the GB girl kick ass in BMX Freestyle?!

Yep, awesome. 

The Netherlands took gold in 5000m women (track & field) with Hassan. A few hours before, she fell in the series for 1500m, but she still won it. She also qualified for 10000m final. Amazing. She can also run 800m below 2 minutes, but here she doesn’t compete. Watch that girl!

Andrew Hoy (62) from Australia won a silver medal (team) and bronze (individual) in eventing @john g.: this has to do with horses :)

He is the oldest medal winner of Tokyo so far. He already participated in Barcelona ‘92. Some much younger competitors in the athletes village thought he was an official. Great story.

Remarkable, Luke! That gives me hope I may get picked for the GB skateboard team next time!😂👍

For skateboarding you need to be below 20, haha. Today, a 19-year-old Japanese took gold, but a 12-year-old took silver. 12! Hilarious. 

The Dutch hockey girls took revenge at Britain with 5-1 in the semi-final. They lost the final to Britain in Rio after shoot-outs.

Yesterday, a Norwegian (winter folks) took gold in 400m hurdles. They hardly ever win gold in running, so the country went nuts. Great moment. I like athletics the best, then swimming.

I think you need to be under 16 to win, Luke! Before the ciggies and booze and baby love affairs come into force!

I am under 20. Whatever gave you the idea I was not? After all, I'm getting ready for my second childhood!😂

Here's advice from an old man in his 30s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOCHyBwOX_Y

First ever Olympic medal for Burkina Faso. Bronze in the triple jump. Many may think it is an athlete. It is actually a country- not a household name worldwide but let the party begin!

Cool!👍👍

Today, I watched some heptathlon and decathlon. Great team spirit among the athletes. The men finished their last event and received hugs and kisses from the ladies who finished just before. Also saw 20 km speed walking for men. Funny and odd to watch. 

Belgium took the hockey gold for men. India took bronze: 4 different hockeyers with the surname Singh scored :).

Worst team in the world? You mean my mighty Southend United are in with a shout?❤️😂

And Southend have just missed out on Grealish. Man City bound for a 100 million . What a mistake! Southend could have signed him for 2,000 pounds! I blame his agent!😂

Biggest cheater of all-time in Olympic history: https://www.si.com/.amp/olympics/2020/07/21/greatest-olympic-cheater-boris-onischenko-1976-olympics

He manipulated his sword (actually it’s called an épée, but I’m not a fan of fancy words in a sports thread) in pentathlon. He got green lights for hitting his opponent although he didn’t hit jack. The British team handed in a protest which cost a hilarious 25 bucks and the manipulation was then discovered. I love those stories.