Anyone here invest in a home security system?

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I live in a large city in NRW in a large two floor family home we are the only family that lives here. My neighbourhood is "good" but I have heard from family and friends that the entire area is in a steady decline. There have been reports of attempted break-ins and robberies at the small convenience stores thtroughout the area and people who have experienced petty theft.

Today a woman came to the door, I answered becasuse I confused her for DHL. She claimed to be representing a children's puppet theatre and asked for donations. I turned her away and called the police to report about a half hour later (when I could get through.) In this city panhandeling for small change is common but I am concerned that our home or other homes could be in the proccess of being 'cased out'---particularly because so many people are on holiday.

Apart from getting a cool guard dog, what are some options DH and I might have in investing in a home security system? There are of course cameras for our doors but what of the back windows/patio doors. I am thinking more of a system like a ADT.

Apologies for my level of cluelessness :)

Just like in U.S., you can start out by posting signs whether they are true or not.  Videoueberwacht.  Alarmed, u.s.w.  Motion sensors on exterior lights.  Cats and other things will set the lights off, but should anyone nose around a back window having the area lit up will be less inviting.

It depends how comfortable you are with technology and how much you are willing to invest.

An entry-level alarm like Ring is quite easy to set up (but with privacy issue perhaps):

https://de-de.ring.com/pages/security-system

A more professional set up can be done with Ajax (but more expensive):

https://ajax.systems/

If you are not afraid to get your hand dirty, you can follow the recommendations here:

https://www.alarmanlage-selbst-bauen.de/

But be careful if you have it installed by someone else: it will often be very expensive, you will be completely dependent on them and they will try to sell you a subscription.

You should ask yourself: whatever alarm system I get, what will be the outcome should an alarm be set off?

Will the cops be alerted?  Will they come in time?  Will I have a blurred photo or one of the top of someone's head?  What if it's 100% clear; will anything be done?

9 hours ago, catjones said:

You should ask yourself: whatever alarm system I get, what will be the outcome should an alarm be set off?

Will the cops be alerted?  Will they come in time?  Will I have a blurred photo or one of the top of someone's head?  What if it's 100% clear; will anything be done?

I would suggest to read some AMA (Ask Me Anything) on former burglars to have an idea what is their way or working.

Basically to pay a subscription to have a security company alerted in case of intrusions is useless.

And I don't think cops will be amused to be contacted directly by an alarm.

And top of line cameras with 4k definition will be defeated by a 1€ scarf...

An alarm system is just a deterrent, or rather an encouragement for the burglar to steal another house (they don't lack targets...).

So for most people, invest in a reasonable alarm and you will cover most of the risks without investing too much.

By reasonable alarm, I mean one which has good detectors (work when they are supposed to work and no false positives) and one where you can put the loudspeakers quite high (i.e not easily accessible).

If you are a juicy target, then this is a different story.

Where I used to live ( Bavaria) the police had dedicated officers giving advice on burglar-proofing your property. I'd check with them.