Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cats & finding suitable Berlin housing - can any pet owners help please?

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I would really appreciate any help with this...

Simply put: Does anyone know any places/websites to find cheap housing that is either in a central area that is safe for cats, or somewhere away from the center, for example, south of Neukölln?

I moved to Neukölln (from the UK) at the end of last year. I rent a small flat with my German partner but is not cat friendly here. I made the hard decision of leaving my cats with friends in the UK until I could bring them to a safer place (with outdoor access) in Berlin. It's been over 8 months and I've not managed to find anywhere that is suitable for cats and is also cheap (as I'm not earning currently). I thought that I might be able to find somewhere out of town, that is quieter and greener somewhere, however the only websites I've found have super expensive central flats or more out of town places that you rent by the day. I'm really struggling with this and really miss my cats. It just keeps taking longer and longer and I'm not getting anywhere. Does anyone have any advice on where to find somewhere suitable? I would really appreciate the help. Many thanks!

You're in a tricky situation as most rental agreements do not allow tenants to keep pets such as cats or dogs, only smaller ones like hamsters are OK. It's not entirely impossible, but be prepared for a long search.

Neukölln within the S-Bahn ring is rarely affordable these days, so your idea of further out is a good strategy. It's actually quite a large Bezirk, many people think Kreuzkölln is NK but the whole area to the south in the direction of Rudow is worth considering for the reasons you say as long as you factor in a bit of extra travel time (U7 and buses connect to the Ring pretty efficiently). As well as high rises (eg Gropiusstadt) there are more detached and semi-detached properties to be found.  

Is your partner working? Are you perhaps eligible for a WBS?

https://handbookgermany.de/en/live/wbs.html

Having said all that, I don't really know how the rental market in those areas is at the moment...good luck.

Do not cats count as Kleintiere (single cats?). Depends if they are allowed out of the flat too maybe.

Not sure about keeping more than one Kleintier.

Sounds as if the OP is also limited to a ground floor flat, if outside access for the cat is needed.  Not sure I would let  my cat or any animal wander  outside in the city or built up areas. 

I see the OP mentions CATS- not sure how many?  

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies.

Yes, i have two cats RedMidge. And I was hoping to find somewhere groundfloor with outdoor access/garden. I have been told these are not so desirable in Berlin due to worries around theft, but maybe that's not so?

Either way I've continued looking on websites and have no luck.

Thank you for you help john_b, much appreciated! Yes, lots of the ones I have found say no pets. I don't have much hope of finding anywhere suitable anymore. I can't find many sites that advertise places that are a bit more out of town. I looked at some places on ebay kleinanzeigen that were quite far out, but then often you'd need a car to get into Berlin center. Thanks for the heads up on WBS, I'll check it out.

I made the hard decision of leaving my cats with friends in the UK until I could bring them to a safer place (with outdoor access) in Berlin. It's been over 8 months and I've not managed to find anywhere that is suitable for cats and is also cheap (as I'm not earning currently).

Is there any reason you can't work full-time? Even with only minimum wage, you would earn enough to afford an apartment with a patio if your partner can cover the other expenses.

3 hours ago, RichardRichard said:

And I was hoping to find somewhere groundfloor with outdoor access/garden. I have been told these are not so desirable in Berlin due to worries around theft, but maybe that's not so?

Although there are still many renters with old contracts and low rent in Berlin, it has become almost impossible to find cheap apartments with gardens (unless of course you have connections). When friends were looking for a place suitable for their two cats about 6 years ago they had many difficulties and ended up settling on a beautiful Altbau apartment with patio that is somewhat overpriced. Both of their cats have since passed away and they will probably be looking for someone to take over the apartment in the next few months. The only problem is that the apartment is not cheap.

What is your budget?

1 hour ago, RichardRichard said:

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies.

Yes, i have two cats RedMidge. And I was hoping to find somewhere groundfloor with outdoor access/garden. I have been told these are not so desirable in Berlin due to worries around theft, but maybe that's not so?

Either way I've continued looking on websites and have no luck.

Thank you for you help john_b, much appreciated! Yes, lots of the ones I have found say no pets. I don't have much hope of finding anywhere suitable anymore. I can't find many sites that advertise places that are a bit more out of town. I looked at some places on ebay kleinanzeigen that were quite far out, but then often you'd need a car to get into Berlin center. Thanks for the heads up on WBS, I'll check it out.

Although I also prefer my cats to have access to outdoors, I have over many years of experience keeping cats found that even outdoor cats can adapt very well to living indoors exclusively. And vice versa. I wouldn't want to be separated from my cats longer than necessary. The flat doesn't even have to be large as long as platforms and hidy holes on different levels in each room are available. Cats want to climb and look down - the area available to them is thus extended. So, get your cats over here pronto and enjoy their company indoors. 

Here's some information on keeping indoor cats happy:

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/cats/environment/indoors

Having come across a way too large number of cats that have been run over recently (and I live in the country), I am wondering if your cats might be better off staying indoors. Especially in Berlin. Would a netted balcony and, as @bramblesaid, lots of hidey-holes indoors also be an option? That would also broaden your search a bit. 

Mabye there are Facebook groups where you could post your search? 

These are just "normal" ones. I know that some places have extra groups for pet owners but couldn't find that in Berlin. 

Good luck! 

(2) Berlin: WG, Wohnung, Zimmer, Apartment, Nachmieter, mieten, rent | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/Berlin.Wohnung.mieten/ 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/567947953673046/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/254090736420540/