De-registering from ALG1

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, it might a stupid question but I couldn't really find a satisfactory answer so I'm posting here.

I started receiving ALG1 benefits almost 3 months ago. During this time, I kept applying for jobs but didn't find one. Now I'm planning to start working on my hobby projects & support myself with my savings. 

The consultations & calls from Arbeit agentur have become tiring (and it's even more difficult for me to communicate with them because of my weak German skills) & I don't really need ALG1 benefits anyway.

1. Can I cancel my ALG1 benefits?

2. What's the process to de-register from ALG1 benefits?

3. Do I need to tell them the reason to quit the ALG1? If yes, is the aforementioned reason enough to de-register from ALG1? 

4. How long does it take to de-register?

From memory your health insurance is being covered by ALG1 at the moment, you'll have to cover that yourself if you sign off ALG1.

Not sure if you had that on your radar so thought it best to mention it.

(If that's incorrect, someone will come along and let us know).

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

From memory your health insurance is being covered by ALG1 at the moment, you'll have to cover that yourself if you sign off ALG1.

Not sure if you had that on your radar so thought it best to mention it.

(If that's incorrect, someone will come along and let us know).

Thanks :) Yes you're right I'd still need to pay out of my pocket for the health insurance.

The thing that's troubling me the most is how to cancel the ALG1 benefits & if they'd understand the reason to cancel the ALG1 benefits (sabbatical). If you've information about the questions I mentioned in the OP, can you please share that?

To be honest I have not been on ALG1 for over 10 years or so and it was in between jobs when I was moving cities because my employer at the time got mixed up. They thought I was leaving and just sacked me when I had actually just told them out of courtesy that I was looking for a job in another city. I went through the whole registration to be called by my TL asking me where I was. I explained I was at home, she asked why, and we found out the project manager just hadn't really listened. 

Although I can't answer your questions (sorry) I'd guess leaving ALG1 without a job to go to will cause them to have more question for you.

For example, how will you support yourself? And as mentioned, what will you do for health insurance? 

cb6dba is correct, you will have to pay your own health insurance. Keep in mind that it is compulsory to be health insured in Germany. You will be classed as a freiwilige member which means you will have a lot more to pay each month. You may also have to pay into the state pension system too  so why not let things continue as they are?

When you receive state benefits, there are certain rules that you must adhere to, like showing you are applying for jobs, giving paperwork in on time and attending courses from the AA.  If you think this is a lot of hassle you will have lots more with different organisations like health insurance and state pension wanting information from you then you do now.

You said your German is not good but you live in Germany, maybe you could apply for a German course through the Arbeits Agentur. If you don't understand what they are saying, ask if someone can speak to you in English.

If you decide to cancel your state benefit, you must do this in writing and I would suggest you make an appointment with the Arbeits Agentur, perhaps they can print out a form for you to fill in stating that you no longer require state benefits. 

Can one keep receiving ALG1 while trying to earn money as freelance, and declare earnings?Think about Rentenversicherungs-beitraege too, and take a German course, if you want to stay here.

If you have no income you pay about €202 monthly for Krankenversicherung plus Pflegeversicherung. Staatsfunkgebuehr you have to pay too, €17.50 monthly.

Yes you can do this you tell them you will become privateer according to one of my cowrkers...means like looking to  start a business. And yes you must make sure to start paying your insurance. Which with no income is around 200 a month. Dont believe you can earn money frelanccing during alg1. Also any unused portion of alg1 that you stopped you could restart later. So if you terminate 4 months early the 4 months can be claimed later. I beleive you have up to 4 years if you had no other job between at your last rate. Could be 2 years this i cant remeber the detail. My co worker basically delayed his alg1 a year as privateer due to taxation in same year as abfindung payment. They will not approve a german course i already asked. At least in my case they would not.

One more thi g do not tell them you are taki g a sabitcle but rather you are looking into private businees oportunities

7 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

cb6dba is correct, you will have to pay your own health insurance. Keep in mind that it is compulsory to be health insured in Germany. You will be classed as a freiwilige member which means you will have a lot more to pay each month. You may also have to pay into the state pension system too  so why not let things continue as they are?

When you receive state benefits, there are certain rules that you must adhere to, like showing you are applying for jobs, giving paperwork in on time and attending courses from the AA.  If you think this is a lot of hassle you will have lots more with different organisations like health insurance and state pension wanting information from you then you do now.

You said your German is not good but you live in Germany, maybe you could apply for a German course through the Arbeits Agentur. If you don't understand what they are saying, ask if someone can speak to you in English.

If you decide to cancel your state benefit, you must do this in writing and I would suggest you make an appointment with the Arbeits Agentur, perhaps they can print out a form for you to fill in stating that you no longer require state benefits. 

Why would one need to pay into the pension system if they're not earning any money. Technically pension contributions are required from employees/workers that are earning money. If someone doesn't have any income and/or doesn't want to work anymore and want to live off of their savings, why would they be required to contribute to the pension system.

I'm fine with paying my health insurance but paying into the pension system is something new to me and still doesn't make any sense.

5 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Can one keep receiving ALG1 while trying to earn money as freelance, and declare earnings?Think about Rentenversicherungs-beitraege too, and take a German course, if you want to stay here.

If you have no income you pay about €202 monthly for Krankenversicherung plus Pflegeversicherung. Staatsfunkgebuehr you have to pay too, €17.50 monthly.

I heard that one only has to pay for the health insurance. Why would one need to pay for the Pflegeversicherung separately? I thought it's already a part of the health insurance I'll be paying for. 

5 hours ago, lunasuenos said:

Yes you can do this you tell them you will become privateer according to one of my cowrkers...means like looking to  start a business. And yes you must make sure to start paying your insurance. Which with no income is around 200 a month. Dont believe you can earn money frelanccing during alg1. Also any unused portion of alg1 that you stopped you could restart later. So if you terminate 4 months early the 4 months can be claimed later. I beleive you have up to 4 years if you had no other job between at your last rate. Could be 2 years this i cant remeber the detail. My co worker basically delayed his alg1 a year as privateer due to taxation in same year as abfindung payment. They will not approve a german course i already asked. At least in my case they would not.

Is a privateer a freelancer in Germany? If I say I'm looking for business opportunities, do I need to be registered as a freelancer? I don't really want to register as a freelancer as I don't want to deal with additional paper work and talking to the officials that pretty much always deny the request to speak in English.

He did not register as a freelancer..that i know. Just told them was looking for business oportunities and had the funds to pay his own insurance.

On other thing to consider is imapact to your visa status depending on what your situation is? Also alg1 is paying into and building credits to the pension system as well so you need to evaluate all of this to your particular circumstances.