Pros and Cons of moving back to New Zealand.

18 posts in this topic

I need some help please to brainstorm a list of pros and cons for moving back to New Zealand from Germany with 3 school age children. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!   

Hi Kilnao,

A short term con would be the process of even getting into the country. If you are not looking to move in the next 6-12 months then this is not an issue, but if you are then the quarantine system is extremely difficult. There are a few facebook groups with a lot of information (see New Zealand Hotel Quarantine and Kiwis Coming Home) but ultimately there are not enough quarantine spaces and they are extremely difficult to book (e.g. the ones for November were released at 2am German time and fully booked within 30mins). 

Another con is house prices availability of family rentals, especially in places like Auckland. Perhaps have a look on trademe to see the what is available in the area you want to move back to.

On the pro side, the children can be in a school system where you are not split into streams already at 11y, with kids from all academic backgrounds in the same school rather than being segregated like in Germany. I think that is much better for the community than separating the Hauptschule and Gymnassium kids like in DE. Less pressure on kids to decide on a career at a young age in NZ. Otherwise the nature, the beaches, the more relaxed lifestyle are all big pros.

Good luck!

Seems much too much trouble and uncertainty to try to move soon, could be very expensive even if it goes to plan, or you could get stranded. Why are you thinking of leaving Germany, if I may ask?

@SophG

@Fietsrad

Thank you so much for your comments! 

Every now and then I think of moving back to New Zealand. I miss friendly people and the Kiwi lifestyle. I feel also conflicted about sending children to German schools.

Qualitywise, probably German schools are better, but New Zealand schools are relaxed, flexible and fair, but then I can also think of things that I really like living in Germany. Yes I also think of the cons of moving back to New Zealand especially the high cost of living, work and still be poor!   

I think Germany is the best country to live in, a few small countries are a bit richer (Norway, Luxembourg) but in Germany one has more chances and choices. Never been to NZ or US or Australia, though.

I worked in Australia and visited NZ a few times, and have Brit friends there. I understand your home sickness- it is a great country, and very open and friendly.  The longer we stay away from our homeland, the more we change, the past becomes rosier and life changes back home. Not so easy to move once children arrive, but they are adaptable. Do you have family back in NZ? 

Work prospects, costs are the important items. Healthcare in NZ is covered, and schools gave a good rep.

But, best move while the children are still young. Good luck!

@LukeSkywalker

Thank you for your comment! 

I am not really a beer drinker but sure ;)

@RedMidge

Thank you for your comment!

Yes I totally agree, the younger, the better for children to move abroad. 

We moved here 3 1/2 years ago, my children were still very young (7,5 & 3). They quickly adapted to a new life and also learnt the language.

From September the oldest is off to Gymnasium and the middle in 4. Klasse and the youngest in 2. Klasse.

Although they don´t need to learn English as we speak it at home, but it will be a big change once again for them moving back to New Zealand. 

I somehow think it is probably better to stay in Germany for now.  

If you in New Zeleand will not starve then just leave germany and go back there.

It is obvious that you can't consider Germany your "home" and the risk you will live a miserable life here is quite high. Money is not all unless you are starving and you really NEED to expatriate.

It is the same I say to friends, relatives and former colleagues in italy that ask me "hey, how is life in Germany?" because they are thinking to move here for the definitively higher salary (and less hours of work). And a great bunch of them I know will be the classical one that after 1 months here will start to crying about how much they will miss, sun, pizza, mamma, "warm people", bla bla bla bla bla bla.

On 7/16/2021, 6:24:17, LukeSkywalker said:

Germany has better beer 🍺.

Not true. Or, it is true if you compare the cheapest lager from Germany (a 20 eurocents can from Netto) with the cheapest lager in another country then Germany will win: it has more beer drinkers per capita, so even its cheapest beers are made from quality hops extract and malt. 

However, most hops in the world originates from two regions: Bavaria, and the state of Washington. Combined with the malt from Bamberg, and Siemens machines, you get EXACTLY the same beer as in Germany. Every major country has its craft beer scene by now, and I would be surprised if there is none in New Zealand. 

At first I bought German/Austrian beers here in Israel. Then Maisel from Bayreuth started to be available as well. But now I drink almost exclusively Israeli beers (as I wrote, from Bavarian hops), so I would say that beer should not be a concern at all. 

Coffee in NZ and Australia is also known to be very good. 

@Frantic

Yes you are right. I don`t consider Germany as my home. In fact New Zealand is not my home country either, but I lived there for 20 years so I call New Zealand my second home. Germany is my husband`s home country, The main reasons for us relocating here were for the children to experience the culture and learn the language and have a family adventure. I wish New Zealand was only 6 hours away by car like Italy... 

@yourkeau

The craft beer market in New Zealand is progressing. I am pretty sure they are now one of the best in the world and probably coffee too. I personally prefer industrial beer over craft beer tho.  

On 7/18/2021, 12:26:36, kilnao said:

@Frantic

Yes you are right. I don`t consider Germany as my home. In fact New Zealand is not my home country either, but I lived there for 20 years so I call New Zealand my second home. Germany is my husband`s home country, The main reasons for us relocating here were for the children to experience the culture and learn the language and have a family adventure. I wish New Zealand was only 6 hours away by car like Italy... 

Well, italy is "long" :) I am from the south, so it is around 12-15 hours by car depending from the traffic

Well maybe I missed the fact that husband is not from your country. This I believe can make things more complicated, because He also has to undertsand what he considers home.

About you, if NZ is not your home then what you consider your home ? I believe there are things of Germany that you don't like at all, maybe you hate them and make you feel a bit apart. And you don't feel like that in NZ, so, actually NZ could be your real home.

You know, I am seeing here (in germany and not in Toytown) too much expats that are not happy, that don't like some stuff of germany and germans till the point, in not few cases, to HATE an entire country and an entire population. Just because, at the end, they are different from them. The worse one are the "südlander" (italians on top of the queue) due to the obvious cultural difference. And I usually tell them "you constantly bash this country and the entire population (like they are an unique uniform entity), you constantly judge them putting yourself on a Pedistal and looking at them from top to down. Do yourself a favor, leave this country and go where you will be happy". The answer is an hateful "here it is again the lawyer of the Germans" :D:D

Of course this is not your case, just "writing loudly"

24 minutes ago, Frantic said:

You know, I am seeing here (in germany and not in Toytown) too much expats that are not happy, that don't like some stuff of germany and germans till the point, in not few cases, to HATE an entire country and an entire population. Just because, at the end, they are different from them. The worse one are the "südlander" (italians on top of the queue) due to the obvious cultural difference. And I usually tell them "you constantly bash this country and the entire population (like they are an unique uniform entity), you constantly judge them putting yourself on a Pedistal and looking at them from top to down. Do yourself a favor, leave this country and go where you will be happy". The answer is an hateful "here it is again the lawyer of the Germans" :D:D

Of course this is not your case, just "writing loudly"

I read an article a while back about the stages a person can go through when living abroad.

There is one stage where you get overwhelmed and just hate everything about the new place. Nothing is right, the place, how the place works, the language, the people. It's all horrible.

After that you settle more and accept things etc. I think a few other phases are honeymoon and reverse culture shock (when you go back and don't like your old home much now), the phases can happen in any order, can repeat themselves and a person will not go through all of them.

It was a long time ago so I can't post a link.

I personally think that if you have one child starting Gymnasium  and that your husband is German, you should stay in Germany, so the children don't have to move around. If both you and your husband do not have citizenship in New Zealand, then I suppose you would have to see that you have jobs, permits, etc. Then if you only go a few years and move back and the children are not finished with school, this would seem to complicate things for them. They might have a difficult time integrating back into German life. 

Perhaps you can take them on a vacation to New Zealand. Of course, you know your family situation the best, but that is my opinion.

Referring to what cb6dba said: 

I have, over the years, heard about the phases of liking or not liking a place and heard of (and experienced) reverse culture shock. 

I have read several stories of people moving from Europe to Australia or NZ, not liking it, moving back, not liking it, moving back down under.... 

Practically speaking, they're both first-world countries, the kids will get a decent education and life in either; there aren't such huge differences.

So for me it would come down on one hand to who would be happier staying in the other country the rest of their life - your husband in NZ, or you in Germany?
If your husband loved it in NZ and isn't particularly close to his family in Germany, for instance, then go there. But if he has a huge, close family here and you have no-one in NZ and can imagine settling down here, then maybe Germany would be a good choice. If one of you hates the other country deep down and can never see themselves living there permanently then maybe avoid that country :) Having said that, I never thought I'd be OK about Germany being my forever country, but I am now.

On the other hand, fingers crossed, think about what would happen if you divorced. Your husband would then be unlikely to want to move to NZ with you. Under international law, you can't just go back there with the kids without his agreement - would he agree? Would you want the kids to be separated from their dad? If not, what would your situation be in Germany? Would you be able to support yourself? Even after the kids grew up?