Illegals being trafficked downstairs - landlady useless

79 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have made this account just to post here and ask what to do about all of this. When I moved into my apartment nearly a year ago I was informed there was a large Romanian family of refugees living under me. Fine, not a problem as our spaces are separate. As the months went on I grew used to their constant arguing and slamming doors so hard the house shook; but out of interest for my safety I installed a camera at the foot of my door to watch those coming and going from the front entrance. Random names on letters have started appearing in my letterbox and they seem to use my doorbell to announce they have arrived to those already inside.

It was then that I noticed around 2am most odd evenings a group of men or younger girls would be quietly walked through the house, lead by men smoking and then leaving in foreign cars. I don't know these people; I don't want to try and make friends as the only conversation I've ever had from them was them demanding I give them cigarettes (I don't smoke), or me asking them where my post had gone? (they'd stolen it) 

Fast forward to last month, the electricity company came and turned their power off as they had not been paying it. This then led to them pounding on the walls and turning my electricity off at the fuse box. They then seemingly vacated the house for some days and for the first time in months I've slept soundly.

Their flat has a broken door, probably due to the force they close it and I've filmed them several times shrieking at 2-4am. Yet my landlady refuses to do anything about it; she's being paid their rent every month on the dot by the government and she's made that quite clear.

What the hell do I do? 

Accept defeat and find somewhere new or bring this to the attention of the police? The landlady has already said that "they will just claim they are family and the tenant is never there to deny it".

Thanks for your time

Have you searched your address thouroughly on internet to see if it comes up with and websites linking to prostitution or illegal drugs etc. Its a first step and would at least give you soem answers or at least eliminate the obvious

1. Romania is in the EU.  

2. How did the random letters wind up in your mailbox if the name was not yours?

3. If it was 2am and they were quiet, how were you alerted to the people walking through the house? 

4. I don't think that's how the electric company works.  Also, if the government is paying for these "refugees" then their light bill would have been taken care of one way or the other.

5. Smokers don't "demand" cigarettes from non-smokers.  

6. Either they're quietly trafficking or they're loudly shrieking at 2-4am, make up your mind.

I call bullshit.  Wind-up, troll, dupe or all of the above.

Luna that's a great idea I'll try it thankyou!

To reply to Dessa, I am aware, though I fail to see your point to the first. We share a mail box, so I have one central box we are both given access to inside the archway to the address. There are two resident groups here, myself and the family name downstairs. Post without their name or mine but the address have began appearing around 2 months ago. My camera notifies me of movement; I assume you're unaware of how they work? As for the bills cost, I'm fairly certain that is in fact how it works. Electricity is provided separate to the house; i.e. the premises is paid for and that includes the water bill; I was present when the landlady allowed the council official to come and remove their fuse box afterall. What can I say? They came and knocked on my door then said "Gibt Zigarette?", I don't know how I can describe it any other way; maybe they didn't know I didn't smoke. 

The shrieking occurs at all hours, but I was merely referencing that fact aside from when my camera notifies me of them being quiet; perhaps read my post again.

I will continue to hold out for actual advice, thanks. 

Romania is in the EU so I want to know how a "Romanian family" are "refugees."

You're up all hours of the night spying on your neighbors?  Creepy.

Knocking on your door and asking if you have a cigarette sounds a lot different than "demanding" cigarettes.

I don't need to read your post again and I still say it's a wild exaggeration or a windup.  But go on and wait for your "real" advice.

I'm going off of the words from my landlady, sue me. It records all hours of the day and it will be there when I wake up, thanks. I don't consider it appropriate to knock a neighbors door and with an outstretched hand bark "give cigarette?"; if you consider that the norm then I shudder to think of your upbringing.

I will, thank you. Whole reason I came to Toytown was for this so hopefully I'll get just that.

Ha ha, OK.  Can you explain the thread title then?  

If they're Romanian, they're not illegal.

If they're refugees, receiving support from the government--obviously not illegal.

I don't understand why you wouldn't have called the police already on your own if there really is a chronic, ongoing noise complaint and you seem to be alluding to prostitution going on downstairs. 

Does not make any sense whatsoever, sorry.

I would be very careful of the camera thing in germany, and would not mention this to the landlady or police. Could come back on you as illegal depe di g on circumstance

I'd talk to a lawyer if you have legal cost insurance or join the Mieterverein if you don't. You might be entitled to reduce your rent payment if you're being harrassed. That might kick your landlady into action.

Right, I will explain this one last time. The title thread is referring to the people who are not resident here. I'm not referring to the family I first moved in with. They aren't here! That's my entire point. They give their key to these other people, who my landlady never granted access to; they are not on the lease, not on the letterbox or doorbell. They are the ones making the noise and moving people. If that wasn't clear; fine, apologies but my problem is the strangers, not the first family. I have spoken to my landlady numerous times as I said, and her response is that this is not the first time; the original tenants allow this as the government pays for their flat and they feign ignorance when questioned - but they're never here to question! 

Dessa, I sense you've nothing better to do tonight, but I live alone, I'm not a young man anymore and I am not going to put myself in danger should these people get wise to me knowing their goings on. What do you do?

9 minutes ago, lunasuenos said:

I would be very careful of the camera thing in germany, and would not mention this to the landlady or police. Could come back on you as illegal depe di g on circumstance

Oh? I wasn't aware given it's on my property? I will look into the legality of it, thank you Luna.

Is it possible that the people are Romani rather than Romanian?

Just now, balticus said:

Is it possible that the people are Romani rather than Romanian?

I have no idea Balticus, the first family were not German, but as to where I never thought to ask. The cars that drop off and pick up the strangers have RO licence plates; that's all I can say.

8 minutes ago, Alakhiin said:

Dessa, I sense you've nothing better to do tonight

On the contrary, I admin this site, and the frequency with which I call bullshit on a post is like... once every couple of years.  I'm not bothering you for my health nor out of boredom.

Blame yourself for writing a bunch of stuff that made no sense all together.

1 minute ago, dessa_dangerous said:

On the contrary, I admin this site, and the frequency with which I call bullshit on a post is like... once every couple of years.  I'm not bothering you for my health nor out of boredom.

Blame yourself for writing a bunch of stuff that made no sense all together.

Then kindly move along; you're admin is surely needed elsewhere. Thankfully some people here want to help.

Isn't the landlady obliged to check whether people are legally registered at an address in Germany? 

I don't know if this is such a case but:

https://www.vermietet.de/meldepflicht-vermieter

The people might be pimps and their girls or members of begging gangs but no idea. Bet they're not health insured! Or not even registered in Germany. Just a hunch ...

But it could just be simply a prejudice of mine. We have the same kind of situations where I live. Gangmaster in a car, dropping off  ( equivalent of Romani ) women outside LIDL etc to beg ( including with babies/ young children ) and then picking them up at the end of their " shift."

But I might be totally wrong about your neighbours. 

1 minute ago, RedMidge said:

What can you do? Well, Landlady, Police, Mieterverein.

Hi Red, thank you. Is the Mieterverein a group sorry? Or somewhere I can visit? I'm googling it as we speak

22 minutes ago, Alakhiin said:

Right, I will explain this one last time. The title thread is referring to the people who are not resident here. I'm not referring to the family I first moved in with. They aren't here! That's my entire point. They give their key to these other people, who my landlady never granted access to; they are not on the lease, not on the letterbox or doorbell. They are the ones making the noise and moving people. If that wasn't clear; fine, apologies but my problem is the strangers, not the first family.

How do you know these other people are "illegal"?  You're too scared to speak to them directly, so I deduce you haven't had a look at their passports or their residence permits.

I really want to know.

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

Isn't the landlady obliged to check whether people are legally registered at an address in Germany? 

I don't know if this is such a case but:

https://www.vermietet.de/meldepflicht-vermieter

Hi John, I like the pup pic. I will look into that thankyou, up till now any attempt I've made be it contacting the council, threatening to cease rent payments etc has just been met with a sigh from her and nothing more. I think given I've never defaulted and the flat is being paid for regardless she's in quite a nice spot. Why rock the boat, kinda thing.