Problems Installing COVpass app

25 posts in this topic

so tried to download this covpass app from koch institute via google play store..also tried another app to load the vaccination bar code. Both apps come up in google play that they can only be downloaded form germany. my google play account I guess is set to usa. I can see a greyed out field that says switch to germany which does not work. I have tried to change the country in google play via the process i found on the internet. nothing works. I tried to add a local credit card when I click on the tab it says it takes 48 hours but it never allows me the option to even add the credit card data which the process says is required. I will try not to rant here about another invasion of google into my personal life and why this app can not be installed directly from robert koch if they want to controll my life with this garbage for another time. I have read that others also cannot change the country as well with no solution that iI have seen. any ideas on how to proceed as I know in the future we wil lbe back to this ridiculus idea of a rapid tesst to go into anything but a grocery store and or carrying arround vaccination papers even if you have to wear a mask anyway. Any ideas here? anyone else have the same problem?

Maybe you could try downloading the APK and installing it directly (you will have to allow it in your setup).

Thanks krieg i got it! What I had to do for anyone else with same problem is. Change setting under security to download from unknown source via firefox search engine...does not work in chrome even if you allow unknown sources it still kicks you to google play. Then search for covpass apk in firefox, then download and then install. What a flippin pain!

I had no problem whatsoever downloading the CovPass app from Cyprus. I don´t remember but I probably used a VPN connected to Germany though.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

I had no problem whatsoever downloading the CovPass app from Cyprus. I don´t remember but I probably used a VPN connected to Germany though.

I would bet your Google account is European and not American.   Most probably a German Google account.

iOS comment on this.

I found CovPass app in my U.S.-set Apple AppStore.  After installing though it wouldn't scan my QR code.  The issue was that I don't have a password/PIN to open my iPhone.  Germans love their data security.  The CovPass app will only work when the iPhone has an active password to open it. 

My experience was that once I activated the password (yeah, more secure but what a pain) then the CovPass app worked.  then when I turned off the iPhone's password protection the CovPass no longer had any data in it.  When I turned the iPhone's password back on, the data was still gone.  So, CovPass app works to protect data security - but you gotta live with signing in to your iPhone. 

8 hours ago, Krieg said:

I would bet your Google account is European and not American.   Most probably a German Google account.

Yes, correct. But why does it matter?

58 minutes ago, jeba said:

Yes, correct. But why does it matter?

Because your country's account is what it is important.  If your account is German you install apps from the German store.

You don't really expect that your phone stops working correctly because you went on holidays.  

Don't know about the CovPass app, but I initially couldn't install the Covid Warn app on my UK phone for similar reasons. Then having given up and moaned about it to a few people with no power to do anything about it, I tried again a few months later and it worked. And that works fine with the German QR code. 

I have the same Google account I always did so if it's now a German account I've no idea how. 

7 hours ago, DoubleDTown said:

I found CovPass app in my U.S.-set Apple AppStore. 

Really? Even now when I check, CovPass is not on the US app store (Apple). There’s some app called CovidPass but it’s not the RKI one. Some European countries released their apps to the US app store - Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, etc. but not Germany.

I just keep a scan of my QR code in my phone’s files and someone can scan it directly if needed. You don’t have to use CovPass.

Folks,

I have not found the CovPass app available under the US Apple app store either.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, you need an Apple ID with a German address to access the German Apple app store.  

I did download the CovPass app, but I had to do the following:  Log out of my US Apple app store; log back in using my German Apple app store information; search, download and install the CovPass app; log out of my German Apple app store; log back in to my US Apple app store.  Kind of a pain, but the only way I have been able to add "German only" apps to my iPhone.

S.

That's pretty much what I did, too.

I then was able to scan the QR codes and create a digital vaccination certificate.

1 hour ago, Shenandoah said:

Folks,

I have not found the CovPass app available under the US Apple app store either.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, you need an Apple ID with a German address to access the German Apple app store.  

I did download the CovPass app, but I had to do the following:  Log out of my US Apple app store; log back in using my German Apple app store information; search, download and install the CovPass app; log out of my German Apple app store; log back in to my US Apple app store.  Kind of a pain, but the only way I have been able to add "German only" apps to my iPhone.

S.

Ok kind of bummer info. I don’t have a German app store account and thought you’d found the secret way in via the US store. Guess I’ll have to stick with the scanned QR code method for now.

You can use the Covid warn app for this purpose. You can download iteven if your country in google is not Germany

I actually wrote a lengthy blog post on this topic.  I have a US iTunes account, too.

What I ended up doing was making another account for the German store.  I downloaded the necessary apps, then switched back to my US account.  The app will work if you use a US account; you just need a German account to download it.  

Here's the post I wrote about it...  and yes, I know we took more steps than may have been necessary.  This post was really more of a story than a "how to" article.

https://thetravelingovereducatedhousewife.blog/2021/06/25/how-americans-can-get-covid-19-legit-in-germany-via-the-cov-pass/

If the CovPass app and Corona-Warn-App are geolocked for you, you could try using Luca. This worked for me

Note: I'm using an Android, not iPhone. But hopefully it's on the Apple store as well

I don't know if anyone here can help, but I need to go over to the UK urgently, as my mother is ill, I am British, I plan on driving/ferry Calais to Dover.

My question is can I use my Covpass digital vaccination certificate to prove that I'm fully vaccinated when I arrive, or don't they recognise it?

2 hours ago, Brummie in the Sauerland said:

I don't know if anyone here can help, but I need to go over to the UK urgently, as my mother is ill, I am British, I plan on driving/ferry Calais to Dover.

My question is can I use my Covpass digital vaccination certificate to prove that I'm fully vaccinated when I arrive, or don't they recognise it?

Yes. From Gov UK:Proof of an approved European vaccination programme:

You need to show an EU Digital COVID Certificate (EU DCC), showing you’ve had a full course of an EMA or Swissmedic-approved vaccine in one of the listed European countries.

You can show either a digital or paper certificate.

Germany's on the Green list at the moment but you still have to do the Locator form, show proof of a test before leaving and arrange for a thoroughly overpriced test on Day 2 in the UK.