So there's no longer ANY cream in all of Berlin with more than 35% fat???

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any cream available in Berlin that has more than 35% fat and is NOT cultured (for example creme fraiche is cultured - completely not substituable). You need it for many American, French and Italian recipes that call for heavy cream which has 36 to 40% fat.

The only such product has been discontinued (Dr. Oetker's creme double, 42% fat).

Below are all other candidates that aren't options because they're not available in Berlin and/or don't have enough fat.

Schlagsahne and Suβe Sahne - not  enough fat (30%)

Konditorsahne from Hanasno - not available in Berlin (35%)

Schlagram from Weihenstefan -  not available in Berlin and not enough fat (32%)

Konditorsahne from Milram - not available in Berlin and not enough fat (32%)

Schlagsahne from Andechser - not available in Berlin and not enough fat (32%)

Dr. Oetker creme double has not been discontinued, however, you can only buy it from around November to January.  I've no idea why, but heavy cream seems to be only a Christmas thing here.

I was complimenting a waiter in an Italian restaurant in Berlin for the panna cotta, and bemoaned the lack of thicker double cream here as is desirable for proper scones wirh jam and cream etc. He came back a few minutes later having chatted to the chef, who told him that in the UK they add gelatine to the cream to make it thick. Aarrgh! Nööö!

Here when I need a thicker cream, I fold in some Schmand after having whipped the Schlagsahne. Even though it's not higher fat, it has a stiffer consistency and works well. I do that for scones, Victoria Sponge filling and Pavlova. No complaints from the consumers!

9 minutes ago, Tap said:

The first one above is Euro 12.99 and the second one Euro 11.99, are they really worth it?

uhm? I can't be the judge of what something is worth to you - I personally have paid ridiculous prices for products that were not available in stores in my area at the time, or I have educated myself on how to make the desired product myself, or I have done extensive research on suitable substitutes, or I have just adjusted to the local circumstances and survived without the "impossible" product.

In this case, if I really needed "super fat cream", I'd mix regular Schlagsahne with regular Mascarpone to the desired fat content

Clotted cream is not the same as heavy cream (And that particular brand is horrid tasting).

Using a mix of cream and Mascarpone works well though for many purposes.

Another option that has worked for me in the past if I needed whipped cream was to ask in the local bakery, they had a machine and would make me a pot of whipped cream which I could then use.

IT all depends on why you want/ need  a very heavy cream.  Cream and Marscapone works well.  I use greek vanilla yoghurt for toppings ,   creme fraiche for baking,

There are quite a few recipes online for making clotted cream yourself; the basic idea is to remove some of the moisture from normal cream. I've actually managed to create something very similar (and tasty) by leaving a pot of cream open in a very cold fridge for ages :) - I have no idea how safe it is but here's a discussion on the topic: https://www.chowhound.com/post/accidental-clotted-cream-recipe-679906

Any of the homemade clotted cream recipes I've looked at start with heavy cream ... wonder if they'd work starting with Schlagsahne.

It's the same clotted cream that was listed in Karins first post on the subject. Clotted Cream still isn't heavy cream and that brand still tastes like ass.

There are many shops: Russian, Turkish, African etc etc offering foreign food in Berlin, I should spend some time visiting them, reading the small print on dairy products, asking questions maybe, I imagine they offer all sorts of unfamiliar milk products.

Or perhaps familiar things with different names?

I enjoyed Schmand with home-made Rice And Things. 

On 17.7.2021, 19:45:22, pappnase said:

It's the same clotted cream that was listed in Karins first post on the subject. Clotted Cream still isn't heavy cream and that brand still tastes like ass.

And I totally disagree with you. It tastes good.

Oh OK. Glad you found something you like. Perhaps there was something wrong with the bottle I bought. I might have to try it again. (But its still not heavy cream)