job offer

11 posts in this topic

Hi ppl,

I am under several process to get a new job and I have one offer in hand. I am in a process with a big company that takes forever to finish the process due to summer vacation etc. Still discussing the last points in the previous process, what would be best to do? Can I ask a time to think about if and how long companies hold an offer? The first company is really interested in my profile. Just trying a chance with this other dream company. 

In any case, I want to quit my current job. :wacko:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite following your post, but if you're asking for a delay form the company that made you an offer while you pursue another company, I would suggest you accept the offer in hand.  Unless you are signing some sort of contract, you can leave any job at any time, even if that time is short.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have received a new contract offer already so if I sign, not sure how hard is to leave and how bad would be my reputation on that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the offer advise or have a date when you must sign by? You coukd delay some by asking questions related to the contract but if you delay to long they may withdraw the offer. It also depends on what field you are in how difficult it is to find qualified candidates. Foubht you can delay much and with contracts here quiting for another offer can have legal consequences. Other option is to contact the emplyer your a waiting on tell them you have another offer but would prefer to work for them and would neede a decision and offer within the week. They may view this a playing hardball and just say goodbye. It also depends on your field and competitveness. But just trying to delay and wait might anger your offer and leave you with nothing. Good luck. Witing or pushhing both have risks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I wonder if they can fine me if I sign the contract and quit later. Or how long can they wait for me? I was gonna ask 2-3 weeks to think about it and see what they say... bad or good idea? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MaryLous said:

Yes, I wonder if they can fine me if I sign the contract and quit later. Or how long can they wait for me? I was gonna ask 2-3 weeks to think about it and see what they say... bad or good idea? 

If I were the employer and the candidate asked for 2-3 weeks to make a decision, I'd withdraw the contract immediately.

 

From everything you've said so far, I'm surprised the employer didn't pick up on your character during the interviewing process.

 

"Hello, MaryLous, how are you today"?

 

MayLous: "Can I get back to you next week and let you know"?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

okay, thanks for the answer. I decided to get the first offer and stop looking for a new job. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good question and I’d like to add a spin on it, so I can get an answer. 

 

There are no job offers, but I’m just wondering because 50% contracts are quite common. 

 

Let’s say you get a 50% contract job offer. There is nothing else at that moment on the horizon. You would supplement the 50% with freelance work, but that’s not always steady, or possibly another 50% job if an offer came up (tax nightmare, but you need something). 

 

A week later you get a 100% job contract offer. 

 

What do you do then? 

 

The job searcher has been looking for a contract job for over 4 years and has been doing freelance work (English teacher is the career; not one of those teachers who just came over and decided to teach English; they actually did a degree in it and have over 15+ years of contract and freelance work experience). 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have interviewed a bunch of people (permanent, limited time contracts and interns, no apprentices) and I have only complained to HR about one candidate. We extended an offer, sent the contract and he kept it for three weeks only to tell us afterwards that he decided to take another job. 

It was a very close decision - we had three possible candidates and he "won" by a tiny margin. Which he knew. Since he strung us along for those three weeks, both of the other candidates had already found other positions. I was not happy, HR was not happy.

Was it legitimate that he did it? Of course. Still thought it was a dick move. 

 

We have a group wide HR system which (before the DSGVO - data protection act) would show you if someone had already applied somewhere else in the group. So a few years later I got a call from a colleague in a sister company that I knew quite well and who noticed that the guy had gotten pretty far in the application process with us. Of course I told him about it.

 

I am not a fan of interviewing people anyway and the fact that I had to start all over again plus the additional workload on the rest of the team since it took a few months more to find someone really pissed me off. I still remember the guy's name... 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the Germans say,  "Man sieht sich immer zweimal im Leben" and so you never know if the person you burned is going to be interviewing you for a job at another company some years later.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now