What part of Germany is not corrupt?

17 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Official Friday thread?

Nah. Whilst the thread title had me intrigued, a link to something I don't really care about and don't want to read after a hard week at work, lost my interest.

But have faith! Maybe another FT will pop up later.

It's the Friday indifference that allows the corruption to flourish.  Funny how corruption investigations take place outside of germany.

10 minutes ago, catjones said:

It's the Friday indifference that allows the corruption to flourish. 

Nonsense.

Aft 'ard week down pit us all waiting wi' beer in 'and for Friday Thread. Stop beefin’.

Disclaimer: I am not a Yorkshire man in real life, and neither have I played one with three other gentlemen in a Monty Python sketch.

A Schwarzbau was put up on the €lectric vehicle factory at Gruenheide, I read in the paper today, looks like the whole thing shall have to be pulled down. I hope.

12 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

A Schwarzbau was put up on the €lectric vehicle factory at Gruenheide, I read in the paper today, looks like the whole thing shall have to be pulled down. I hope.

When we built our house (in Bavaria) we had to pay a fine (plus administration cost and the cost of securing evidence) because it was 12 cm too high. And we deemed ourselves lucky. I know of a case in the neighbouring town in which the top floor had to be taken down because it had made the building 50 cm too high.

Bauamt seems to attrack people with a Blockwart mentality. When I worked for the city in Berlin I was told that they use satellites to zoom into people's backyard in order to check for illegally build structures. Very off-putting.

Someone on our old street built a shed/garage/not sure what and got the Amt in to check it was OK within the rules, and while they were down our way they went round spying for illegal structures and loads of people were fined.

Oops. Not a happy neighbourhood.

My hubby read the roolz and dutifully applied for permission to put up a wire fence at the bottom of the garden. Which was necessary according to the roolz. The jobsworths ridiculed and berated him for taking up their precious time for a piffling fence backing onto an open field. So you can't win.

If the builder made my house 12 cm too high or too low I should wonder what else he had done wrong, if he had maybe used cheap materials somewhere hidden, that I would notice many years later, with very expensive consequences. 

2 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

If the builder made my house 12 cm too high or too low I should wonder what else he had done wrong, if he had maybe used cheap materials somewhere hidden, that I would notice many years later, with very expensive consequences. 

He made it 12 cm too high because I had told him so to have more head clearance in the upper floor. I hadn´t expected the Bauamt to check with such scrutiny.

On 7/9/2021, 6:00:33, catjones said:

It's the Friday indifference that allows the corruption to flourish.  Funny how corruption investigations take place outside of germany.

What is your point? Every country with a large economy has corruption, so what? You can move to Greenland and live off fishing whales there, enjoying life in a zero corruption country. 

For me as a small man, it is important that there is law, and that there are courts and police to rely on. During my life in Germany, I won against Sixt who tried to milk me on 15000 euro. It is not as big as VW, but it is still a big company, and I was a foreigner without money and legal insurance. Yet, I won and they lost. 

58 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

What is your point? Every country with a large economy has corruption, so what? You can move to Greenland and live off fishing whales there, enjoying life in a zero corruption country. 

For me as a small man, it is important that there is law, and that there are courts and police to rely on. During my life in Germany, I won against Sixt who tried to milk me on 15000 euro. It is not as big as VW, but it is still a big company, and I was a foreigner without money and legal insurance. Yet, I won and they lost. 

You give me hope!

Think this thread needs to be renamed, what part of the world is not corrupt? Wherever humans are, there are always those who want more than others, who are willing to bend over backwards to get more, and who will refuse to share.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Every country with a large economy has corruption, so what?

You prove my point.