Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Solidly terminating a contract

4 posts in this topic

I wanted to cancel a contract with a mobile phone company after coming across a much better deal with another carrier. On their portal, there is an option to let them know you want to cancel, which I did do. I received an email telling me that to confirm my cancellation, I had to call a hotline number or fax a letter. I prefer having things in writing, so I went ahead an used the fax option.

After not hearing anything back from them in a month, I checked my account and found that my contract had been extended for another year. I called and asked what was going on and (gee surprise!) "We never got any fax from you! But hey, we have a nice deal for €x, would you like to switch to that?"

I'm turning all shades of livid and purple here--is there solid way cancel a contract in such an undisputable way  that unscrupulous businesses cannot claim that it was "lost" or never received? Such as through a notar who can confirm that they saw the cancellation notice themselves and personally hand delivered it to them? Would this be worth contacting an attorney and taking some legal actions over?

If you want concrete proof you'd have to send the cancellation by registered post so it has to be signed for and ask for written confirmation.

I've managed to cancel other contracts in the past via email, either just by writing the email or scanning my cancellation letter and attaching it to the email etc. I guess for some companies it just isn't worth the effort of having someone sign for all those letters..

Some however will always drag it out and take the mick, i those cases all you can do is cancel a good few months in advance. When I first got to Germany (which was in the days of dial-up) I was advised to send the cancellation letter after a few months and call later if I wanted to cancel it (the cancellation). 

Some companies allow you to cancel by email and others will try dirty tricks.  Best way IMO is to send an email and a letter by post at the same time but well before the last cancellation date.  State that you are giving your notice for your contract to end on date x (when you think it should end) or to the nearest allowed date.  This last part is important because if you figured the date wrong, they can wait for a month and then say sorry but you can't cancel to end on date x because you didn't give enough notice and by that time it's too late for you to cancel.  Also ask in the letter that they send you a verification that they got your letter and the end date on your contract.  If they don't send you a verification, send your letter again in registered mail.  I have never had to do this.  If you do, you can play it even safer by taking pictures of the cancellation going into the envelope and a friend sign that they saw you do it and better yet that they saw you post it as well just in case the company later claims that although you sent a letter, that it was something else.  

As for what to do now, do cancel your contract even though it will still run for a year.  If you already have a new contract, check if you can change this one to the smallest plan.  I don't think it's worth going to a lawyer because you can not prove that they got the fax.

If you google 'musterbrief kündigen' you can normally find information about how exactly to end a contract and a template you can use to either send to the provider or there can normally a way to do this online if you want to as well. https://www.kuendigung.org is one that I have used in the past to cancel contracts and for mobile phone contracts part of the site is https://www.kuendigung.org/kuendigung-handyvertrag-vorlage/