Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

need advice on where to stay in Berlin for the weekend

5 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone , i live not far from Düsseldorf but im visting Berlin early September with a few freinds. I was just wondering if anybody could give my any advice what area to stay in? Berlins that big i havent really got a clue. I was thinking somewhere with a few nice beergardens and pubs etc but also not to far from a few of the sites. Ive read good things about Kreuzberg and obviously Berlin Mitte springs to mind .Anyone that knows Berlin that could help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mark

Berlin really isn't a huge place and getting around on public transport is generally very easy. Day card for trains, buses and trams. If you stay somewhere vaguely near the centre you'll probably spend about 15 mins getting to the sights you want. Even getting to a more outlying lake or a quick trip to Potsdam is under an hour, depending.

Personally I'd avoid any area described as hip but then I'm ancient. I'd go for an area near a U- or S-Bahn, by the river or overlooking a park for peace,  and then take a quick bus or train ride to liveliness. No shortage of nice places to sit out and eat; just turn the corner off any main shopping/tourist drag you're on and there'll nearly always be a quiet square or green space with cafes to sit outside.

The Öffi transport app is very easy to use and you can easily check out times and distances from places you might want to visit.

Just back from a long weekend in Berlin visiting daughter in Mitte and BIL in Friedrichshain. The weather was pretty good so found renting a bicycle and riding around the best

option. Great for getting from A to B, sightseeing at leisure, and getting a bit of exercise while you're at it!  Used nextbike, bikes everywhere and cheap as chips if used smartly. Riding to Potsdam etc is possibly pushing it, so train the go there. Stay anywhere within 2-3 kms of the Museuminsel and you should be right.  

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply. Thanks a lot for all your help. I'll check all your ideas out. Have a great weekend and thanks again. Mark.