Unresponsive American consular services

29 posts in this topic

Thank you everyone for the insight. I emailed the consulate in hopes of a response but we are now going on at least two weeks. The forms are clear and in theory I could send them to the embassy today but the idea of sending DD and my passports in the post...I just don't know if I have an alternative.

I received my new passport within less than three weeks after sending it in, and if I recall correctly actually within around two weeks. I saw the headlines about extremely long processing times several days after sending the renewal package which worried me and was pleasantly surprised at how fast it was. I did use the super fast tracked shipping method they had a link to on the embassy website (required for them to send you your new passport and recommended for sending the application packet), which probably helped. Maybe I was lucky, but in retrospect I think/hope they probably realize that for most expats abroad who aren't dual citizens there is a real need to receive a passport quickly. 

Good morning everyone,

The Frankfurt embassy seems to have opened appointments for social security matters. Has anyone had an appointment there within the last month or two? I would like to make an appointment but really don't want to deal with bureaucrats (who have not responded to any email in the last year) about how I should have done this and not that...

All I am trying to do is  apply for a social security number for DD. ...and maybe if they were extra nice renew my passport which expires in May.

Thank you.

I want to apply for the US Passport Card (as a second, easier to carry around federal ID I hope the Germans will recognize instead of my bulky passport).

I am confused by the Munich embassy website - do I really have to send in my **passport** to apply for the passport **card**?
The website kept changing and referring around in circles to different forms and procedures.

24 minutes ago, Metall said:

I want to apply for the US Passport Card (as a second, easier to carry around federal ID I hope the Germans will recognize instead of my bulky passport).

I am confused by the Munich embassy website - do I really have to send in my **passport** to apply for the passport **card**?
The website kept changing and referring around in circles to different forms and procedures.

It's really frustrating--I have noticed this as well (typos and all ) but the refusal to answer phones, emails leaves one with very few options.

Good luck with the paperwork ladies. I can honestly say that dealing with the French authorities has left me psychologically scarred. It was worse than horrible. I hope you fare better than that.

Try to use the right terminology to avoid confusion to yourself. I had to learn all the different variants when working for a UK Government international department.   

Each country has one embassy in a country, in the capital or internationally recognised capital. The rest, in minor cities are consulates/consulate generals (full range of services). If the relationship is more complicated or closer (e.g. former colony etc) then the main representation in the country capital might be a high commission instead of embassy. 

Here is the list the USA locations in Germany. One embassy and five consulates 

Homepage - U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Germany (usembassy.gov)

I'm surprised passport services has not responded to your email. But, yes to get a passport, you have to send in proof of citizenship or your other passport.

By the way, it's consulates-general :)