Living choice: Baden baden vs Mannheim

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, looking for advice/suggestions. 

I am pretty much confused. I have got three job offers: One in Baden Baden, one in Mannheim and one in München. Considering I have only been to München, I can understand a bit how it would be like living there. Also, I have heard it is pretty much expensive.

What I have heard about Baden Baden from friends is that it is pretty lush, with a lot of spas and a lot of nature. I have never been to Mannheim but heard it is an industrial city. 

Do you guys have any suggestions about which place would be good to go for? I live alone, and want to live in a one Zimmer Wohnung if possible. But apart from that, is in pretty much deep water in case of making a choice.

Any suggestion/recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Vielen Dank im Voraus. :)

Baden Baden is a great place for a weekend.  I do have a German friend who doesn’t like it because it’s a bit touristy and there are supposedly many people from Russia there (not that that’s necessarily a bad thing).  But we had an unforgettable anniversary there.  

I haven’t been to Mannheim yet.  Munich is lovely, but so expensive.

I should choose BB, it has 55 000 inhabitants so is big enough to have everything one needs, I got the feeling it is a holiday-place even when one lives there. Has a bit of international flair and glamor too.

There are some nice restaurants there, too... and the famous Irish Roman baths, if you're into the nude spa thing.  They have a clothed spa next door, too.  

Mannheim-Frankfurt Airport 30 minutes, Mannheim-Paris by train 3hrs.

Mannheim is an industrial town, but the city has a lot of shops.

I live close to Heidelberg, but when I go shopping, I drive to Mannheim.

Mannheim is little closer to the center of Germany.

Baden Baden has a repuation of being a spa town. A bit slow, a bit old fashioned, a bit chichi, a bit expensive. Beautiful area, too. Airport Karlsruhe Baden not too far away, very close to the French border. 

Mannheim for sure is not pretty, but it has quite a bit of city life (they call themselves "metropolitan" area which is a bit of a stretch, but oh well...). It has good museums, concerts, etc. Some areas of the city are a bit grubby, but some are also very dynamic with the conversion quarters (former military bases), music and art events, new dining possibilities. 

Not to forget: It is also not far from the French border, excellent train connections to go to the rest of Germany or abroad, pretty nature - Odenwald, Pfälzerwald) very close by, good wines (I am prejudiced - I grew up from the Palatinate where we think our wines rule and the Badener ones suck. But try them yourself!) 

Disclaimer: I lived in Mannheim for almost 20 years - first as a student, then as an adult with a job - and really liked it. It's large enough for city stuff and small enough so you can reach everything by bicycle and also that it doesn't take hours to get out of the city (hated that about Berlin!) 

So it really depends on what you are looking for, what kind of environment you want to live in. 

Dunno about Bad Enbaden, but I just visited a small Kurort, spa town in Germany, it has the most beautifully kept park, woods, imposing villas. I must visit more Kurorte, great places to live when working, or in retirement. If you look around you could probably rent cheaply in an 'unfashionable' one. There are so many!

apart from the location, are these 3 jobs identical? Same task, same pay?

If they are not, maybe your question should be: in what location can I get the most "bang for the buck"?

Meaning, what is the relation between your take-home pay and the cost of living for any of these three places?

If you figure you'd be living very comfortably in Mannheim, but would be barely making it in München, then you have your answer.