Dinosaurs

11 posts in this topic

Just finished re-reading one of my favorite books. „West of Eden“ by Harry Harrison, author of „Bill the galactic hero,“ „Stainless steel rat“ and too many to mention.
West of Eden speculates what the world would look like if the Chicxulub asteroid never hit. It is a world where the dinosaurs never died and evolved in Africa to became the dominant species on Earth. On the other side of the world, in South America, old world Monkeys evolved to become proto-humans.
It is a series of three books, however only the first one is a page turner the other two are a bit of a struggle, but they make you think: „What would have happened if the Dino´s hadn’t become extinct?“
Would a dino society have developed along the same lines as humans, and would their civilization be further along than ours?

There was a great film, 'Arlo und Spot' a few years ago describing such a situation, dinosaurs were advanced, humanoids were primitive.

I read as a child a book called "Dinotopia" that explored a mixed human/dinosaur civilization. Very short, but it always got my imagination running.

6 hours ago, MadManEarle said:

I read as a child a book called "Dinotopia" that explored a mixed human/dinosaur civilization. Very short, but it always got my imagination running.

Dinotopia, yes that was a good story. There was another short story where timetravellers introduce dinosaurs to ancient Rome just to see what will happen. The gladiator fights got really interesting for instance.

15 hours ago, slammer said:

Dinotopia, yes that was a good story. There was another short story where timetravellers introduce dinosaurs to ancient Rome just to see what will happen. The gladiator fights got really interesting for instance.

That sounds fascinating - do you remember the name of it?

12 hours ago, MadManEarle said:

That sounds fascinating - do you remember the name of it?

Yes I do. Dinosaur fantastic, it´s available on Amazon

416dTxhMQBL._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

7 minutes ago, slammer said:

Yes I do. Dinosaur fantastic, it´s available on Amazon

416dTxhMQBL._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wonderful, thank you. I will give it a shot. :)

On 04/07/2021, 21:32:00, slammer said:

Would a dino society have developed along the same lines as humans, and would their civilization be further along than ours?

Vocabulary-wise, a definite yes:

A9A08D4E-483E-4165-830F-85C1C89C6C7F.png

A Waran, a large lizard, escaped from the 'Klimahaus' in Bremerhaven, allegedly it is not aggressive, but I would not trust it.

Apparently dinos are the favourite animals of many children. Good thing I think, never seen a slogan 'a dinosaur is for life, not just for Christmas'. :-)

6 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

A Waran, a large lizard, escaped from the 'Klimahaus' in Bremerhaven, allegedly it is not aggressive, but I would not trust it.

Apparently dinos are the favourite animals of many children. Good thing I think, never seen a slogan 'a dinosaur is for life, not just for Christmas'. :-)

Having said that, I wonder what dinosaurs would taste like?
Chicken perhaps, Turkey, Quail, Osterich?

Or something else entirely?