Eyeglasses / eye care - Support from employer under G37 regulation

3 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'd like to ask for your kind advice on the following topic:

I need to get reading glasses for my work (desk job, computers on a daily basis), so I asked my employer if they would offer me any financial assistance, and they said they will provide me with a certain amount X under G37 regulation in Germany. I have no clue what this mean. I'm wondering, are there any restrictions on how I can use this amount X? For example, I've heard that exams, glasses and frames are not all treated equally for refund or insurance purposes. Can anyone shed some light / tips on this G37 regulation?

In addition, any tips on how to start with the eyeglasses? Like where to go and where not to go to? I've never wore reading glasses before, so I'm a bit lost about how/where to start here in Germany...

Thanks and regards!

The G37 eye-check is carried out by the company Doctor. There are rules concerning the distance between the user and pc which he/she may also check. 

If it is not necessarily work connected ,people here usually go to an Augenarzt for the check-up and then to the opticians. The opticians usually do another check and then you can choose your glasses.

https://www.medisinn.com/de/produkt/g37-vorsorgeuntersuchung-bildschirmarbeit

Not related to reading/ work glasses but I thought In case people don't know:

if your general vision problems are beyond a certain level of severity (6 diopters vision, 4 diopters astigmatism) your Krankenkasse should pay a portion towards the glasses lenses or the contact lenses (not the specs frames). To get this, you have to go to an Augenartz who provides a declaration of your prescription, which you can then take to your own optician. I forget the exact amount, but it's well worth having. My optician said you only need the Augenartz confirmation one time.

(I think this is a fairly recent reintroduction of this benefit and have found that even German friends don't know about it. )