Thriving with 1 in 200.000 disease in Berlin

32 posts in this topic

I hope you manage to find a solution to improve your quality of life. 

Given the massive Turkish community in Berlin, maybe they have organisations you could plug into for advice?

Didn't we already see a very similar thread to this a couple of months back on TT ? Somehow looks spookily familiar.

5 hours ago, optimista said:

Didn't we already see a very similar thread to this a couple of months back on TT ? Somehow looks spookily familiar.

%15 percent of the world population have disabilities and %100 percent of the world population have desires so I think familiarity is quite possible. Lots of people in unfavored circumstances want to migrate to Germany for a better living. For example Turkey is not just wheelchair inaccessible but also people have archaic views about people with disabilities. In Turkish they use a word that I can translate as "barred", there is not even an emphasis of ability in the word. I was living in a village with my grandmother 4 years ago and neighbor didn't even look at my face when she spoke with my grandmother, I said hello to her and she looked at somewhere else. Imagine this happening to 1 billion people, so you will see more of those topics I believe.

7 hours ago, Feierabend said:

I hope you manage to find a solution to improve your quality of life. 

Given the massive Turkish community in Berlin, maybe they have organisations you could plug into for advice?

I started to believe nobody cares nobody in this life, rate of donations are very low when you compare it with compulsive buying. For a donation you need to make people emotional, and I have no intention to lose my dignity. Either it happens with hard work or not. But thank you for your good wishes and advice, it really warmed my heart.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Asking for advice is not begging for a donation.

Oh, with that day's sadness I misread her message. You are right, but I have no idea to reach those communities. Any idea?

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Google. You are Turkish after all so you can probably find it easier than any of us.

I can think of Google, thank you. Just communication channels open to public usually have low response rate so I asked for local knowledge. Anyways, thanks for your help.

Would moving to where you can afford a helper be an option?

On 04/07/2021, 14:52:40, iamstrong said:

I have a very rare genetic disease causing me muscle weakness. I can't walk, I use wheelchair. Currently I live in a different country and my company tried to bring me to Berlin but they failed. Public insurance won't cover my caregiver expenses for the first 2 years. My question is, how much is hourly, daily, weekly and monthly rate of live-in caregivers? Maybe I can work harder and generate some income to pay caregiver's salary. I want thrive in life, both in work and fun. My current country is an obstacle for that, and I want to increase my quality of life. Any suggestions?

I have not worked as a fixed employee for anyone for more than 20 years.   Things may have changed.   

At my last fixed position, which was a startup, one of the founders explained to me that above a certain size, companies have incentives to hire people who are considered disabled.    He used the term "disabled" in a general rather than a legal sense, but there were certainly specific rules which he did not expand upon.    In this case, he recruited someone from one of his former employers to work at his startup to take advantage of the incentives / avoid the penalties. 

My point is the following:   try to get more info to see if these types of rules still exist.   

If they still exist, adjust your negotiating position with the information that your company will benefit financially by hiring you, and you should expect that they will use some of that financial benefit to ease the burden of some of the extra requirements you have.  

Good luck.