Thriving with 1 in 200.000 disease in Berlin

32 posts in this topic

I have a very rare genetic disease causing me muscle weakness. I can't walk, I use wheelchair. Currently I live in a different country and my company tried to bring me to Berlin but they failed. Public insurance won't cover my caregiver expenses for the first 2 years. My question is, how much is hourly, daily, weekly and monthly rate of live-in caregivers? Maybe I can work harder and generate some income to pay caregiver's salary. I want thrive in life, both in work and fun. My current country is an obstacle for that, and I want to increase my quality of life. Any suggestions?

If you employ the caregiver yourself, you will have to provide at least 24 days per year paid holidays and you have to pay sick days as well.  Minimum wage is currently 9,60€ per hour.  You can not expect a person to work more than 8 hrs. per day.  10 if it's an emergency, average no more than 48 hrs. a week and at least one day off per week.  If the person lives at your apartment, you can charge them room and board.

If you employ a caregiver through an agency, you can do it on an hourly basis through a German agency and it will be more expensive but I don't know the rates, it will depend on the type of work they are doing as well.  You could also hire a live-in caregiver through an agency but be aware that if the person is not being paid according to German law, it can become a problem for  you.

Even if your company want to move you to Germany, your visa application may not succeed. 

With your health problems, do you really want to move away from home, family, established medical resources?

59 minutes ago, iamstrong said:

I have a very rare genetic disease causing me muscle weakness. I can't walk, I use wheelchair. Currently I live in a different country and my company tried to bring me to Berlin but they failed. Public insurance won't cover my caregiver expenses for the first 2 years. My question is, how much is hourly, daily, weekly and monthly rate of live-in caregivers? Maybe I can work harder and generate some income to pay caregiver's salary. I want thrive in life, both in work and fun. My current country is an obstacle for that, and I want to increase my quality of life. Any suggestions?

Shouldn't Public insurance cover any precondition you have? Did you ask different public insurances?

2 hours ago, iamstrong said:

If your employer wants you here that badly, ask them to cover these costs.

Public insurance won't cover my caregiver expenses for the first 2 years.

I want thrive in life, both in work and fun. My current country is an obstacle for that, and I want to increase my quality of life. Any suggestions?

I think you have failed to understand the concept of insurance. Insurance is meant to cover potential risks that you may face in the future. Since you already require long-term care, the probability is already 100% and private insurance companies will not be willing to insure you. As you've already found out public nursing insurance will only apply after 24 months of contributions. 

You want to emigrate because you assume it will increase your quality of life. Based on the info you've provided, I don’t see any basis for this assumption. I would suggest that you first make a list of everything you think you are missing in your home country and why you think everything will be better in another country. 

1 hour ago, UpToWick said:

Shouldn't Public insurance cover any precondition you have?

It is not a matter of Krankenversicherung, but rather Pflegeversicherung

2 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I think you have failed to understand the concept of insurance. Insurance is meant to cover potential risks that you may face in the future. Since you already require long-term care, the probability is already 100% and private insurance companies will not be willing to insure you. As you've already found out public nursing insurance will only apply after 24 months of contributions. 

You want to emigrate because you assume it will increase your quality of life. Based on the info you've provided, I don’t see any basis for this assumption. I would suggest that you first make a list of everything you think you are missing in your home country and why you think everything will be better in another country. 

It is not a matter of Krankenversicherung, but rather Pflegeversicherung

That's a good point, engelchen. But, since the krankenkasse takes the payment for this, is there allowed to be a waiting time for a pre-existing condition?  @Starshollow can you answer?

28 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

But, since the krankenkasse takes the payment for this, is there allowed to be a waiting time for a pre-existing condition?

It technically has nothing to do with the pre-existing condition, but rather the Wartezeit before claims can be made from the Pflegekasse

Furthermore, although the premiums for the Pflegeversicherung are collected by the Krankenkassen, Krankenversicherung and Pflegeversicherung are separate and distinct insurances. Public health insurance is governed by SGB V and Pflegeversicherung is governed by SGB XI.

See §33 SGB XI for more info.

Thanks @engelchen. Yes, here it is.

2. in the contracts concluded by persons subject to compulsory insurance to the extent prescribed by § 23 paras. 1 and 3,a) no exclusion of pre-existing conditions of the insured persons, b) no exclusion of persons already in need of long-term care, c) no longer waiting periods than in social long-term care insurance (Section 33(2)),

So, to answer @UpToWick, it is not legal for public insurance to try to impose a waiting period. @iamstrong, I suggest you discuss this with your employer.

12 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

So, to answer @UpToWick, it is not legal for public insurance to try to impose a waiting period. @iamstrong, I suggest you discuss this with your employer.

Seems you haven't read engelchen's link:

(2) Anspruch auf Leistungen besteht, wenn der Versicherte in den letzten zehn Jahren vor der Antragstellung mindestens zwei Jahre als Mitglied versichert oder nach § 25 familienversichert war

which deepl.com translates as:

(2) Entitlement to benefits exists if the insured person has been insured as a member or has been insured as a family member in accordance with § 25 for at least two years in the last ten years before the application is made

8 minutes ago, jeba said:

Seems you haven't read engelchen's link:

I thought the OP was from the EU. Are they not?

Profile says Turkey.

There is also no indication of the OP's profession, however, unless the OP has the skills to warrant a six figure salary in Germany,  I don't see how Germany would be an option. On the other hand if the OP was such a high earner, it would be possible for him to afford better care in Turkey.

12 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Profile says Turkey.

There is also no indication of the OP's profession, however, unless the OP has the skills to warrant a six figure salary in Germany,  I don't see how Germany would be an option. On the other hand if the OP was such a high earner, it would be possible for him to afford better care in Turkey.

I thought Turkey had instituted a compulsory health insurance that complied with section 25 in their attempt to become part of the EU. Would that not be a qualifying insurance? 

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

I thought the OP was from the EU. Are they not?

What made you think that? And what does it have to do with § 25 ?

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Furthermore, although the premiums for the Pflegeversicherung are collected by the Krankenkassen, Krankenversicherung and Pflegeversicherung are separate and distinct insurances. Public health insurance is governed by SGB V and Pflegeversicherung is governed by SGB XI.

26 minutes ago, jeba said:

What made you think that? And what does it have to do with § 25 ?

Typo. I meant 23, but Engelchen clearly knows east she's talking about, so I'll stick to talking to her. You just have a great day now, y'hear.

Thank you guys, I didn't think it's possible too, just wanted to ask you and I am happy that you made diligent research, I appreciate your effort tremendously.

I live in Turkey and I assumed my quality of life will be improved because Turkey is terribly wheelchair inaccessible, I am stuck at home for 4 years so I thought maybe I can go around and taste the life like a normal person in Berlin even for a little amount. Seems reality is barring and harsh as always.

Thank you again!