why is Chinese vaccines not approved for EU travel?

19 posts in this topic

AFAIK the manufacturer hasn't applied for approval yet.

While the WHO has approved them for emergency use, the EU and other countries have not because their efficacy rates are so low. Even top Chinese officials have admitted it.

13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

While the WHO has approved them for emergency use, the EU and other countries have not because their efficacy rates are so low. Even top Chinese officials have admitted it.

Sinopharm efficacy rate is  79%  , better than AstraZeneca and J&J

or maybe the numbers provided are only based on Chinese sources  are not proven? 

https://view-hub.org/covid-19/characteristics/

7 hours ago, alien7 said:

Whatever their efficacy may be, the EMA can´t approve an application before it has been submitted.

Probably it is all political, J&J seems to be even worse against Delta but it is well accepted in the West because it is not Chinese nor Russian.  And there are several definitions of "efficiency", chance of getting infected, chance of getting severally sick and chance of dying.

At least China and Russia shared a big part of their production instead of stockpiling them, because the best vaccine is the one you can actually get.

I'm not too sure about J&J being worse against Delta - https://www.jnj.com/positive-new-data-for-johnson-johnson-single-shot-covid-19-vaccine-on-activity-against-delta-variant-and-long-lasting-durability-of-response

Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) (the Company) today announced data that demonstrated its single-shot COVID-19 vaccine generated strong, persistent activity against the rapidly spreading Delta variant and other highly prevalent SARS-CoV-2 viral variants. In addition, the data showed that the durability of the immune response lasted through at least eight months, the length of time evaluated to date. The two preprint study summaries have been submitted today to bioRxiv.

At 66% efficiency against covid, it's lower than the other approved vaccines but against covid but I think it's got quite high protection against severe covid.

The Sinopahrm and Sinovac vaccines are made from Inactivated SARS-CoV-2 virus

this type of Inactivated virus vaccines have been known since long time, what I do not understand why was neither EU nor USA or UK able to create this type of vaccine 

23 hours ago, alien7 said:

or maybe the numbers provided are only based on Chinese sources  are not proven? 

https://view-hub.org/covid-19/characteristics/

First, it's not better than AZ or J&J.

Second, those numbers were not independentely confirmed, so they most likely worst. Some non-chinese studies showed around 50%.

Third, any production lab will have to be authorized by EU.

Fourth, those assholes can suck dick. We don't need more vaccines. And we definitely should not be giving them more money.

9 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

I'm not too sure about J&J being worse against Delta - https://www.jnj.com/positive-new-data-for-johnson-johnson-single-shot-covid-19-vaccine-on-activity-against-delta-variant-and-long-lasting-durability-of-response

At 66% efficiency against covid, it's lower than the other approved vaccines but against covid but I think it's got quite high protection against severe covid.

The paper says 85%. I saw another study showing 83%.

10 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

We don't need more vaccines.

South America disagree with you.  Africa probably too.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

South America disagree with you.  Africa probably too.

Point was for Europe, following the discussion. We don't need more. Countries like France are already seeing decline in acceptance and that will reach Germany until end of month.

On 06/07/2021, 00:41:20, alien7 said:

The Sinopahrm and Sinovac vaccines are made from Inactivated SARS-CoV-2 virus

this type of Inactivated virus vaccines have been known since long time, what I do not understand why was neither EU nor USA or UK able to create this type of vaccine 

I thought that AZ, J&J, and Sputnik were similar in that they were using inactive samples of the Virus?

Anyway, I am currently in a country which has used Sinopharm, AstraZeneca, and Pfizer/BioNtech and the belief here after six months of vaccination is that the Sinopharm vaccine is ineffective - everyone here in the UAE who has had the Sinopharm vaccine will be encouraged to have a booster after six months of their 2nd jab, or will be offered the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine in lieu of a Sinopharm booster.

Abu Dhabi is having a lot of issues - despite having a lower, more spread out population, and strict entry requirements when travelling in from the neighbouring emirates, Abu Dhabi cannot get their cases under control (they are back as of yesterday to shutting the road border with Dubai overnight, and conducting sterilisations of public areas whilst a nighty curfew is in place). Abu Dhabi is also predominantly Sinopharm. Dubai, which has fewer restrictions, is much more populated, and vastly more densely populated, is not having anywhere near the same issues; Dubai has been predominantly using Pfizer/BioNtech over the last few months.

Yes it's all anecdotal and not a very scientific way of looking at it, but the UAE has been using three different vaccines so some comparisons can be made.

Been saying for a long time: the chinese vaccines are crap and China itself will have huge issues next winter or when it tries to open up again for business.

Blimey, I dunno if the Chinese vaccs are crap. My lack of knowledge here is frightening.😀

Aren't there five of them? That is confusing enough.

I am humble enough not to be an expert on the issue none of us on here is an expert in.

4 hours ago, john g. said:

I am humble enough not to be an expert on the issue none of us on here is an expert in.

Neil deGrasse Tyson said something along the lines of anyone can know enough about a subject to think that they are right, but the real challenge is to know enough about a subject to know that you are wrong