Wedding between non German: Surname change mandatory ?

27 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, LeonG said:

Also note that Standesamt may have more choices in location than getting married in their office. Friends who got married in 2008 had choices of 4 locations and chose to marry in an old tower.

That’s the best part with the Standesamt.

Since my family was flying in from the US for the wedding, we decided that even though it was just Standesamt that we would get married at Panorama Punkt in Berlin, which is one of the Standesamt’s locations. We had the whole place to ourselves for an hour. No deco needed either since the place has 360 views of the city. 

On 28/06/2021, 20:42:30, Chelski said:

Interesting topic and over to the experts through experience:

1. If the wife chooses to take her husband's name in the hyphen format; what are the kids named? 

2. If the wife and husband decide to keep their separate surnames; what are the kids named?

Or are there multiple choices when registering the birth(s)?

Genuinely interested.

A bit late to the party, but if one or both of the parents aren't German citizens, the children can have their last names in the format of the country of origin of said foreign parent(s). 

In our case, we both kept our names when we married, and had the choice between the German way (pick one of the parents surnames), the hispanic way (father's surname followed by mother's surname), or the Canadian way (there are options, one of them hyphenating). They got maple leafed.

Before the local Standesamt gives you shit, get a letter from your embassy with the naming conventions allowed in that country. They'll know what it is. You can also point the Beamte to this website from the BMI summarizing the conventions by country.

When a mate of mine got married his wife decided she wanted a double barrelled name. 

Her name was Lock (translated anyway) , his was Stock. 

Seems to have worked out for them. 

11 hours ago, MUinEU said:

When a mate of mine got married his wife decided she wanted a double barrelled name. 

Let me guess, they were both smokers too?

11 hours ago, MUinEU said:

11 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Let me guess, they were both smokers too?

There is no snatching the best joke award with that one.

Terrible joke. I think we actually have a thread for that kind of thing :lol: