Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

school leaver health insurance

16 posts in this topic

Ok, this situation has quite suddenly arisen and we are floundering a bit.

We have been told that kid#3, who finishes her schooling next week will not continue to be covered health insurance wise after she finishes full time education.

Someone is fighting that decision on our behalf.

She is hoping to go into the Bundeswehr and is filling in forms at the minute. This should come to fruition in October or January. So we are looking at a time limited situation.

How can we get cover for her for this short period? Is it possible to get a short term job which comes with health insurance? Is that what Zeitarbeit is? Does she go down to the Agentur für Arbeit and sign on as a job seeker and does that include health cover? 

Sorry for a string of clueless questions, and thank you in advance for your awesome.

Hopefully I will get a call saying that she is covered with us until she is safely employed, but if not, we will need a solution.

4 hours ago, kiplette said:

Ok, this situation has quite suddenly arisen and we are floundering a bit.

We have been told that kid#3, who finishes her schooling next week will not continue to be covered health insurance wise after she finishes full time education.

Someone is fighting that decision on our behalf.

She is hoping to go into the Bundeswehr and is filling in forms at the minute. This should come to fruition in October or January. So we are looking at a time limited situation.

How can we get cover for her for this short period? Is it possible to get a short term job which comes with health insurance? Is that what Zeitarbeit is? Does she go down to the Agentur für Arbeit and sign on as a job seeker and does that include health cover? 

Sorry for a string of clueless questions, and thank you in advance for your awesome.

Hopefully I will get a call saying that she is covered with us until she is safely employed, but if not, we will need a solution.

How old is kid 3, kiplette?

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

It's to do with education for us. Once she's done with that, she's cut loose. 

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

It's to do with education for us. Once she's done with that, she's cut loose. 

I think @john g. was asking a straightforward question.

Edit.  I was wondering from your reply whether you had misread his question as "How old is kid?   3, kiplette?"  Ha.

Yup he was. 

Our situation is not.

I pmed him and Panda.

Panda has laid it all out, so I have the Actual Answers. 

She is a little older than 3 :lol:

Ok, new question.

She is going to fill in the paperwork etc for the job tomorrow.

Do we need to contact the KK ourselves or does that happen through the employer?

I think, having read multiple zillion related posts, that it is the employer, but couldn't find anything in the last  5 years and didn't want to mess this up.

Thank you.

Found this online for you, @kiplette:

Von Beginn ihres Lebens bis zu ihrem ersten eigenen Beruf, oder mit Erreichen des 25. Lebensjahres, sind Kinder familienversichert. Dies bedeutet, dass sie die Krankenversicherung über ihre Familie beziehen und außerdem keine Sozialversicherungspflicht haben. Dies ändert sich mit dem ersten Arbeitsvertrag. Schon Azubis müssen sich um eine eigene Krankenversicherung kümmern und von ihrem Bruttogehalt werden die Sozialabgaben demnach auch abgezogen. Innerhalb von 14 Tagen sollte sich der Berufseinsteiger für eine neue Krankenkasse entschieden haben, falls er wechseln möchte. Sonst ist der Arbeitgeber laut dem Abendblatt gezwungen, ihn selbstständig bei einer anzumelden – in den meisten Fällen ist dies eine Betriebskrankenkasse oder die gleiche wie die der Eltern. Es ist daher ratsam, dass sich der Berufsanfänger schon vor dem Beginn der Arbeitstätigkeit darüber Gedanken macht. In den ersten zwei Wochen in einem neuen Betrieb passiert meist so viel, dass die Überlegung für die Krankenkasse auf der Prioritätenliste nach hinten rutscht.

(source)

If she has a preference, she should enroll with the Krankenkasse of her choice. If she fails to do so within 14 days of starting the job, the choice will be made for her.

Thank you. She is going with TK.

I wonder how the process begins. She has done Probetagen, and has a paperwork Termin tomorrow at 3pm, so I guess if it turns out that we need to generate the paperwork and not them, we'll just crack it off super quick and email it off to them immediately. If she has signed her Vertrag, presumably she is covered. I hope.

Hopefully she won't run into the side of a BMW (that was her, earlier this year), get knocked off her bike in the early morning (her again), ride into a lamppost (a few years back) or any of the other daft things she has so far done...or not until we are certain the cover is in place :) 

A friend told me last week that she (proper German, parents and all) was not Versichert at age 27 for 3 months and no-one could help her with that situation. She went back to further study and all was good. Apparently she just lived life as normal, whereas my suggestion is that the kid stays in her room and doesn't move, to reduce risk, until its done.

Which is all well and good, but the job is with Citipost and she'll be riding a bike ;)

My kids have switched between being insured by us (Uni) holiday jobs (TK) and back again.  Numerous times.  TK very helpful and the whole thing seamless.  Also with gap year thing before Uni.

7 hours ago, kiplette said:

Thank you. She is going with TK.

I wonder how the process begins. She has done Probetagen, and has a paperwork Termin tomorrow at 3pm, so I guess if it turns out that we need to generate the paperwork and not them, we'll just crack it off super quick and email it off to them immediately. 

Call Techniker:

Tel.  0800 - 2 85 85 85

They will assign her a Versichertennummer on the spot on the phone, which kid#3 can then give to HR.

Thank you. We'll do that as soon as we get back from the Abientlassung :lol: later this morning.

OK, hopefully the last pathetic question for now - I have searched high and low for her Steuernummer letter which we got 9 years ago and have moved 4 times since. Can't find it.

Commerzbank lady seems to think that it will appear when she opens a Konto with them.

I think we have to  fill in a form as I have seen elsewhere on TT, having read multiple threads on all these themes in the last few days ;)

Am I right that we do have to actively seek it and it will take as long as it takes, or is she right that kid#3 opens a bank account and magically it will appear on her bank paperwork?

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

OK, hopefully the last pathetic question for now - I have searched high and low for her Steuernummer letter which we got 9 years ago and have moved 4 times since. Can't find it.

Commerzbank lady seems to think that it will appear when she opens a Konto with them.

I think we have to  fill in a form as I have seen elsewhere on TT, having read multiple threads on all these themes in the last few days ;)

Am I right that we do have to actively seek it and it will take as long as it takes, or is she right that kid#3 opens a bank account and magically it will appear on her bank paperwork?

German Banks can look up the Steueridentifikationsnummer, yes.

Alternatively, have kid#3 call up her friendly neighbourhood Finanzamt, they also know it.

But no chance of getting the Bundeszentralamt für Steuern, the institution that actually issued that Steueridentifikationsnummer, to tell her on the phone what it is, they regularly refuse to do so and tell you to just fill in the online form to have the Steueridentifikationsnummer re-sent in a letter to the address you're registered at: https://www.bzst.de/SiteGlobals/Kontaktformulare/DE/Steuerliche_IDNr/Mitteilung_IdNr/mitteilung_IdNr_node.html

Well, thank you richly, Panda.

TK were super helpful, signed her up, assured us that if the Vertrag is dated tomorrow, her cover will start then.

She is now the guardian of a hugely wertvoll blue bike with extraordinary attatchments to accomodate which is requiring some adjustment of hedges to get it and the car in the driveway!