Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do I need an architect?

8 posts in this topic

I currently have a very large terrace on my home. The layout is such that there is a corner of the terrace which is walled on 3 sides - I would like to have sliding doors installed on the last remaining side to convert it to a study (since I will be working from home for the forseeable future). Currently that area is covered by plastic panels so we have a gazebo type thing, but I would like to remove those sheets to make a more 'permanant roof'.

I have called around but all the architects claim to be too busy to help. I was wondering what/if any other options I have?

I would contact contractors, but would do a lot of research on "how to work with a contractor".  Maybe do a search on TT.

40 minutes ago, Nunya_Beeswax said:

I currently have a very large terrace on my home. The layout is such that there is a corner of the terrace which is walled on 3 sides - I would like to have sliding doors installed on the last remaining side to convert it to a study (since I will be working from home for the forseeable future). Currently that area is covered by plastic panels so we have a gazebo type thing, but I would like to remove those sheets to make a more 'permanant roof'.

I have called around but all the architects claim to be too busy to help. I was wondering what/if any other options I have?

When we did something similar we didn't look for an architect ourselves: the company that we hired to do the work managed the architect themselves (with us as final authority, obviously). Maybe that's easier..

Call your local Bauamt first and speak to them as to whether your project would require planning permission (to me it sounds as though it does, or at least would in NRW, but each Laender has different rules). From my experience, the officials are pretty helpful, particularly when you clarify that you are speaking to them first, and don't want to rush ahead and build something against the rules. If you need permission, then you can either apply yourself, or get an architect to do it for you. The architect may also want or need you to get a Statiker involved to confirm that the new roof would not affect the structural integrity of the main house, and is structurally sound etc.

When we needed an architect, we were advised to make sure it’s an architect recommended by trusted friends/acquaintances.  We also contacted our local Bauamt and asked for their recommendations. Good luck.

This thread is very interesting for me.  I'm just (today) starting a search for an architect.  His first job will be to produce a floor plan of the property as it stands.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you for all the suggestions...

Interesting to learn about the Bauamt. Do I have to go to the local Bauamt? I seem to be close to a couple, and I'm not sure if there is a 'designated' bauamt for my postcode.

19 hours ago, Nunya_Beeswax said:

I'm not sure if there is a 'designated' bauamt for my postcode

Assuming it is like NRW, then yes, there will be a specific individual at the Bauamt who deals with applications for your specific area/village. If you call up the Bauamt and tell them where you live, they will give you the contact details (and working hours) of the relevant individual.