Does anyone use Apple CarPlay? Pros and cons for navigation usage?

11 posts in this topic

I seem to have accidentally loaned my daughter my car on the never never when she left home for Uni! I thought I could manage without a car though it’s time to buy another.  The Toyota cars I’ve looked at have Smartphone-Integration powered by Pioneer with Apple CarPlay. I’m an ancient techno dinosaur and don’t really get it...

My old Toyota had an integrated big screen, idiot proof sat nav and the new system was described to me as a replacement ie, use google maps instead. I’m not too bothered about any other smartphone integration, just navigation.  Does anyone else use Apple CarPlay? What are the pros and cons?  

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Have used both Apple and Google and while both good for journeys where you want easy access to podcasts etc I still found for navi that the built in no frills navi on the car was better.

Google navigation miles better than the in-car ( maybe a couple of years old map on CD ) navigation system.

I know a lot of people with brand new Mercedes, as soon as they get in the car, they disconnect the in built car NAV, and switch on google

13 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Google navigation miles better than the in-car ( maybe a couple of years old map on CD ) navigation system.

The maps are more up to date even though my car has the latest update which seems to be every 6 months or so whereas Google is very regular.

However for me it´s the actual navigation especially the speech from the inbuilt I find better.

Hard to explain but for example you would be on the road and the inbuilt would say "stay on the left and in 1km turn left" and Google etc would say "in 200m turn left" and by then you have no chance to get in the left lane.

Minor things like that put me off the Google and Apple ones.

Although the satellite view on Google is much better than the generic view on the inbuilt for times you are lost or confused you can actually see landmarks on the maps.

I haven´t used Apple or Google for a year or so so it may have improved by now.

I like Apple Car Play as the maps and points of interest data, and traffic avoidance tend to be better than a factory system, and it makes it easy to control your phone using the steering wheel and car stereo touchscreen. 

I've not got on with Google Maps as I found that it was giving me junction information when I was already passed the slip road, whereas I found that TomTom tended to work pretty well and also included information on speed camera locations.  Also, I gave up on using Google Maps when I wanted to go to Snoopy Island and took me to an oil refinery instead.

At the moment in the UAE I use Waze. I don't like the interface or the voice, but it gives motorway lane change directions with more notice than Google Maps does, but seems to use Google as it's POI database. It also alerts on speed cameras (on some roads like the E311 and E11 the cameras are 800M apart in places!!). Whilst I much prefer TomTom to Waze, for some reason the UAE POI database is empty, it couldn't even find the airport. 

The only drawback that I would say about it, is that I've not yet seen a CarPlay system where the mobile phone's SatNav app gives directions on the instrument cluster. 

5 minutes ago, Keleth said:

However for me it´s the actual navigation especially the speech from the inbuilt I find better.

Hard to explain but for example you would be on the road and the inbuilt would say "stay on the left and in 1km turn left" and Google etc would say "in 200m turn left" and by then you have no chance to get in the left lane.

This is my experience with Google Maps, but not with the TomTom app. I found the TomTom spoken directions and it's attempts of street names, much better than a lot of factory systems.

I had an Audi A5 hire car from Avis for a trip to Germany before I moved there, and the inbuilt system was pretty slow to give directions as well. Had some pretty graphics on the instrument cluster which were a bit jittery on the move, so some factory systems also struggle with the direction part. The petrol stations on route and the integration with the miles-till-empty information were impressive though! 

I use CarPlay all the time and find it excellent. You can combine it with Siri and just ask directly to go to a street and it plans the route it has always worked so far. The maps bit of the CarPlay also displays current traffic on the streets in yellow or red and is very realistic. Integration with Music and other apps works well like LibriVox is great for free access to stories for the children. I can only recommend it.

Thank you all for your advice. I’ll have a good read through and figure out what’s best to do.

On 25/06/2021, 20:08:30, Mackle said:

The only drawback that I would say about it, is that I've not yet seen a CarPlay system where the mobile phone's SatNav app gives directions on the instrument cluster. 

The chap at the dealership was a bit confused himself as to how it all works.  He did connect his mobile though and google maps was displayed on the big inbuilt audio/reversing camera display. 

I specifically ordered my Audi with no Navi, as I planned on just using CarPlay/Android Auto.

On CarPlay, I use Waze, on Android Auto, I use Google Maps.

As already mentioned, a built in will quickly be out of date, whereas the Google/Waze stay mostly up to date.

I like Android Auto's interface better than CarPlay, but I guess that's just a matter of taste.

On 02/07/2021, 11:57:44, emkay said:

Thank you all for your advice. I’ll have a good read through and figure out what’s best to do.

The chap at the dealership was a bit confused himself as to how it all works.  He did connect his mobile though and google maps was displayed on the big inbuilt audio/reversing camera display. 

Yes, so for example on my car if using the factory SatNav, arrows will be displayed inside the speedo on the dashboard and the map will be displayed on the stereo's screen, but when using CarPlay the Waze/TomTom/etc. map will only be displayed on the stereo's main display and not inside the speedo.

Using Android/apple car play is only at the beginning from what I have read.

Car companies are not really computer companies apart from Tesla etc, and do not really want to get involved with all the stuff to control the car, but in the future you will be able to ask Android/apple car play to switch things like the Radio, aircon and lights and windscreen wipers on or off and even control the in side temp. 

It just needs the manufactures to build an interface, and Android/apple car play will be able to control not only the displays of a car, but pretty much anything else of the car.