Vaccine Consultation, Is this a Scam?

8 posts in this topic

I went to my child's doctor today to get some clarification about a date written in a vaccination pass. Underneath was also a year written but no notes. The last entry was 2016. We have been going to this office since 2013. 

What is strange is that after it was cleared up what date was in the pass, as well as what the year meant (returning in five more years for a tetanus shot), I was asked to produce my sons health card because I had received an Impfberatung (Vaccine Consultation). I didn't have it with me, and was asked to return next week with it. 

All of this exchange was under 30 seconds with a receptionist, not a doctor. I have never been asked this before in all the years we have been going there. The woman was really annoyed with me like I should know this. I asked her if this was something new, which left her green. I am wondering if this is a scam. 

I called the insurance and they confirmed doctors can and should give a consultation with a vaccine appointment. But a question at a front desk about a date and future vaccine seems a strange thing to bill. 

Has anyone encountered this before? 

Just take the health insurance card in. 

If your insurance wants to contest it, they can. Is it really worth your time to bother with it yourself? 

It is definitely not worth my time. But I think all of our health insurance goes up if we allow bogus claims under our cards to continue. I will follow the rules, but not participate in something dishonest. I called my insurance company just now and they are getting back to me. They have only heard of an Impfberatung accompanied by a vaccination, which is required. 

12 hours ago, rammot said:

I went to my child's doctor today to get some clarification about a date written in a vaccination pass. Underneath was also a year written but no notes. The last entry was 2016. We have been going to this office since 2013. 

What is strange is that after it was cleared up what date was in the pass, as well as what the year meant (returning in five more years for a tetanus shot), I was asked to produce my sons health card because I had received an Impfberatung (Vaccine Consultation). I didn't have it with me, and was asked to return next week with it. 

All of this exchange was under 30 seconds with a receptionist, not a doctor. I have never been asked this before in all the years we have been going there. The woman was really annoyed with me like I should know this. I asked her if this was something new, which left her green. I am wondering if this is a scam. 

I called the insurance and they confirmed doctors can and should give a consultation with a vaccine appointment. But a question at a front desk about a date and future vaccine seems a strange thing to bill. 

Has anyone encountered this before? 

I´ve been charged the fees for a consultation when phoning the receptionist of a dentist to make an appointment. I paid it because I was lazy to start a discussion about it and since my insurance company refunded me anyway. That was my first and last visit at that dentist though. And it was in the eighties.

13 hours ago, rammot said:

It is definitely not worth my time. But I think all of our health insurance goes up if we allow bogus claims under our cards to continue. I will follow the rules, but not participate in something dishonest. I called my insurance company just now and they are getting back to me. They have only heard of an Impfberatung accompanied by a vaccination, which is required. 

https://www.tk.de/techniker/leistungen-und-mitgliedschaft/informationen-versicherte/leistungen/weitere-leistungen/praevention/impfungen/impfberatung-kostenuebernahme-2007746

From above, there are various parts of a imphung that doctor can charge and will be paid by (atleast TK) insurance. 

Kosten für die ärztliche Impfleistung (Impfanamnese, Impfberatung, Verabreichung der Impfung und den Eintrag in den Impfausweis) und den Impfstoff 

7 minutes ago, vivanco said:

From above, there are various parts of a imphung that doctor can charge and will be paid by (atleast TK) insurance. 

They get the princely sum of € 20 for all of this. If they only have 10 vaccination doses/week it doesn´t even cover the costs for the receptionist who will spend a good deal of their time dealing with scheduling and shifting appointments.

14 hours ago, rammot said:

But I think all of our health insurance goes up if we allow bogus claims under our cards to continue.

I think you don't understand what is going on. 

Why would doctors who studied for almost a decade for their license and who are paid well, do such a cheap trick to get additional 30 euro?

Think about it. 

Yes, the doctors are underpaid by health insurance companies, the German two-class insurance system is on the verge of collapse. 

This is really just the tip of the iceberg. Birth clinics doing C sections for no reason, unnecessary OPs etc, all this is a consequence of the collapsing system. 

The insurance company called me back. The answer was no, a praxis is not allowed to bill when asked what is written in an Impfpass (that was my first question, the year was illegible). They are allowed to bill, however, when you ask about a vaccine that was given (I asked if the year underneath represented the year for the next Tetanus shot). 

Thanks for the replies. It was interesting to hear about the experiences of others.