Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Freelance and family health insurance?

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am currently not working and I am insured under my husband's family insurance. I was thinking of starting a small business selling craft kits and sewing patterns. I wouldn't be earning more than 450eur a month but would I still need to register with my own health insurance and remove myself from the family insurance? Also could I register as a Kleinunternehmer or do I have to be a Gewerbe if I sell physical products? Thank you!

As long as you stay under 470 euros monthly profit with the business- no worries. You can stay on your husband's public insurance at no extra cost.

Don't know about how you register business-wise.

https://www.gunnpartner.com/articles/family-public-health-insurance-in-germany

(Please ignore the old amount of 445 on here..need to update...correct later in the text! 470 euros)

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Thank you @john g.

Do I have to inform the health insurance to let them know that I'm earning under the threshold?

Good evening, maddieom! No, you don't - but DO immediately if you get above that number! Strange things can happen with business ventures and you might become more profitable than expected.

If that happens, and the public insurer does their yearly income check, they can hit you for backpayments or even invalidate your current family membership if they find your profit is over 470 euros a month.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.