Am I responsible for my wife’s health insurance if she loses her job?

8 posts in this topic

My wife lost her job due to Covid restrictions (being contested with a lawyer as others not treated the same) and having previously used up her entitlement for Arbeitslosengeld/minijob she is now being asked to pay a lot of money out of her own pocket for her Krankenversicherung. I am privately insured so could not cover her but am hearing I basically need to pay the same for her until she finds new employment. Is this correct or can we just find something cheap like TK for 3 months to cover her. They are asking for my earning details so they can decide how much she has to pay but do not take into account what outgoings we have. Or is there another option short term?

You chose to be privately insured so yes, you have to pay additional for your wife insurance.   In public insurance your wife and kids can be insured at no additional cost.  Private insurance is purely based on risk.

Thanks Krieg, luckily she has found a new job so only two months shortfall but seems crazy that she has no income but must pay double what she was paying when earning! And more than what I pay. I assume I am within my rights to ask how they came up with the calculation.

Sure. Ask away.  If you choose private insurance this stuff comes with it.  Your choice and you chose it.

You rang, RedMidge?😂

https://www.gunnpartner.com/articles/German-Health-Insurance-FAQ

Sometimes , it is just the system which makes a proper assessment of what is the right choice so difficult. Because here is an overview of the system but even this is a scratch on the surface of the nuances!😖

Sometimes,, people HAVE TO take out private insurance and sometimes people HAVE TO take out public insurance.

And sometimes , people who legally  HAVE TO take out private insurance are rejected for health, legal, poor Schufa etc and a multitude of other reasons and are not allowed into public insurance anyway.

The system is the problem - it lacks transparency!

(Plus, of course , the pyramid sales structures encouraging poor advice)...

I feel a bit uncharitable.  Of course as high earning single person, private makes sense.  The problems arise when you later marry and have children.  It gets expensive then as you have to pay for all of them too.  But that is the way it works.

Well, snowingagain, until a couple of years ago when the minimum price for public health insurance for self-employed went down from 350-400 euros a month to c. 190 ( now c. 202) , it was not only high-earning employees who were tempted by private insurance but self-employed, sometimes younger people but not only , who felt they just couldn't afford public insurance.

Not only Germans but a hell of a lot of self-employed foreigners who come from countries with a public system only ( most ) and who just can't fathom why they should pay such high premiums for public insurance.

And there are those out to judge others as being anti-social for choosing private insurance but who  themselves, by the millions , take out supplementary private dental, hospital etc insurance  contracts to make sure they get better and/ or faster treatment.