Private to Public Health Insurance

14 posts in this topic

I am registered as Freelancer and Currently i have Private Health Insurance and my wife is insured by public health insurance. Due Covid i dont have any client anymore and private insurance is a bit expensive for me as i am paying for my self and also for my wife in public healtb insurance. Now i am getting a job offer and expected salary would be 60,000 Euro.  I have following questions.

1: How can i switch back to public health insurance?

2. Do i need to deregister as a freelancer?

Regards,

Arshad

1) Yes. With an annual salary of €60K, you will be well below the Beitragsbemessungsgrenze of €85,200 (in West Germany; €80,400 in the former east), so you will be eligible to switch to public insurance.

2) Not for health insurance reasons, but if you're not planning to do any more freelance work, deregistering as a freelancer will relieve you of some bureaucracy with the Finanzamt - not least filing monthly/quarterly VAT advance returns and quarterly tax pre-payments. You generally also need your employer's permission to freelance, so if you want to continue doing the odd job here and there, you'll need to clarify that.

There might be other factors to this decision that I have overlooked, but I think that's the most important stuff.

35 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

1) Yes. With an annual salary of €60K, you will be well below the Beitragsbemessungsgrenze of €85,200, 

When did it become 85,200?

47 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

When did it become 85,200?

Seems to be some confusion here between Versicherungspflichtgrenze (58 050E Euro) and Beitragsbemessungsgrenze.  The first is the relevant one for switching back to public.   The latter is the income limit max that they use calculate social security contributions.

Oops, my bad. Got those two confused.

You should ask your employer if you can have a lower salary (less than EUR 4,837.50) for the first month or three, until you've arranged to get into the public system.

No need, the Versicherungspflichtgrenze = Jahresarbeitsentgeltgrenze = JAEG, i.e. the salary limit up to which you have to join public health & nursing insurance is:

64,350€ gross salary per year in 2021

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahresarbeitsentgeltgrenze#Aktuelle_Regelung

The 58,050€ snowingagain posted was just the 2021 Beitragsbemessungsgrenze for KV and PV, i.e. on which maximum salary public health and nursing insurance base their contribution, they don't charge on the part of the salary above that limit: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beitragsbemessungsgrenze#Gesetzliche_Kranken-_und_Pflegeversicherung

Both limits change every year.

Hi All,

Thank you for reply.

@PandaMunich you are right the salary limit is 64,350€ gross salary per year in 2021 and based on this i am eligible to switch back to public insurance. one question what will be the procedure for that? I am starting new job from August 2021 and i was member of AOK in the past? can i take public insurance from August 2021?

19 minutes ago, waqasars said:

one question what will be the procedure for that? ... i was member of AOK in the past?

You tell your new employer which public health insurance you want to join.

You do not have to go back to AOK, maybe choose a public health insurance with a lower Zusatzbeitrag?

See here for a list with Zusatzbeiträge: https://www.krankenkassen.de/gesetzliche-krankenkassen/krankenkasse-beitrag/zusatzbeitrag/

21 minutes ago, waqasars said:

I am starting new job from August 2021 ... can i take public insurance from August 2021?

You not only can, but have to join public health insurance from August 2021.

Anyone who does not earn more than 64,350€ gross salary per year in 2021 is a mandatory member of public health insurance.

@PandaMunich

Thank you for explaination.

Company is offering me around 60K and i am also expexting few payments from freelance work so total yearly incom will be more than 80K. Salary + Freelance Work. I have few questions.

1.if my yearly incom is more than 64k (Salary + Freelance incom) then it is not mandatory to become part of public insurance. Then i can take public insurance anytime. It is not mandatory to take it from August.

2. If i Switch back to public insurance then i believe i have to pay maximum premium on my salary + Freelance work.

3. When i start the job then i will also contribute in pension insurance. Do i also have to pay the pension on my freelance income? Till now i only have incom from Freelance work and dont have contribution for pension.

Regards,

Arshad

1. No. As long as your gross salary is higher than your freelance profit and your gross salary is under the Versicherungspflichtgrenze of 64,350€ (in 2021), you are a mandatory member of public health insurance.
  2. No, mandatory members of public health insurance only pay contributions on their salary, not on their other income. And public health insurance anyway only charges up to a maximum monthly income of the Beitragsbemessungsgrenze of 4,837.50€ (in 2021) per month, so you will anyway have already paid the maximum possible contribution just through your salary.
  3. No, you only have to contribute to public pension insurance from your salary.

Sorry, but you are taking this the wrong way.

You should be thanking your lucky stars for this opportunity to get back into public health insurance and to therefore insure your non-earning wife and children at no cost under family insurance.

Instead, it sounds to me like you are now looking for ways to weasel out of it.

On 30/06/2021, 06:26:47, PandaMunich said:

You should be thanking your lucky stars for this opportunity to get back into public health insurance and to therefore insure your non-earning wife and children at no cost under family insurance.

Panda,

Are there not some age limits which also apply here? Otherwise someone could work all their life private system, then pre-retirement take a few years in a job paying very little and be 'forced' back into the public health system.

31 minutes ago, scook17 said:

Are there not some age limits which also apply here? Otherwise someone could work all their life private system, then pre-retirement take a few years in a job paying very little and be 'forced' back into the public health system.

The age limit is 55.

Apart from that, we already had this discussion:

PS: I've just spotted a missing item on my list! If an employee under 55 and a bit over the income limit , so unable to return to public insurance, if you don't already have an employee-financed company pension with deductions taken from your gross salary called a Direktversicherung - that works as well!

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.