How has Germany changed you?

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I mentioned in my last post, that I started making content of what it's like to be an expat in Germany. It has been fun making the videos.

Lots of people were commenting, that I sound like I have a German accent, even though I am American. I guess that just crept up on me without noticing. Well, that was the impetus for this video, 6 ways that Germany has changed me. https://youtu.be/5oRVRUYj7-8

How has Germany changed you guys?

1 minute ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I started drinking more beer 🍺.

Hahaha, good one. I did too, but then I quit drinking altogether. Sure don't miss hangovers!

Watched it! Nice to put a face to a name, dmbartender!👍

Don't know if Germany changed me in my 25 years there - but I aged 25 years!😖😩😂

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

Watched it! Nice to put a face to a name, dmbartender!👍

Don't know if Germany changed me in my 25 years there - but I aged 25 years!😖😩😂

Oh, you betcha it changed you! One just doesn't notice it happening ;)

I notice that I'm much more conscious of not speaking too loudly in public.  A few years ago, we went to Slovenia and wound up in a restaurant at Lake Bled.  There were tons of Americans there.  I might as well been in Williamsburg, Virginia.  All of them were making their presence known, while my husband and I were just sitting there, speaking quietly.  We looked over at a table near us and there was a German couple, looking at us sympathetically.  They seemed to think we were Germans, too.

I think I'm also more liberal than I used to be.  Being over here changed my perspective of how Americans come across to others.

Hi @dmbartender

I just watched one of your Autobahn videos.

Unfortunately you picked a poor 'Rettungsgasse' example.

Keep the 'Standstreifen' free if possible.

and yes you sound a bit german

and it was very nice to see this part of Bavaria again.

Spent a few years in Traunstein, Bernau, Rosenheim :-)

20 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I started drinking more beer 🍺.

Ditto.

2 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

I'm also more liberal than I used to be.

Ditto. Also more liberated. Got used to being nuddy in showers at the baths. I now have no qualms about nuddy bodies, either my own or anyone else's.

I became thicker skinned, more hard-nosed, grumpier, ruder, resentful, defensive and withdrawn. Because I had to in order to survive those terrible office jobs and even just to do the shopping:lol:. (Did someone mention trolleys being rammed up your arse?) Eventually left. Some of it I managed to shed, as you tend to reflect the people around you, although some of it has definitely stuck.

The art of saying "No" firmly and without apology was worth acquiring.

I lost my smile.

Germany did not improve me. Defintely much happier in France. Yes really,

2 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

I notice that I'm much more conscious of not speaking too loudly in public.

Ah, and all the time I was thinking that Americans have hearing problems 🤔.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Ah, and all the time I was thinking that Americans have hearing problems 🤔.

The funny thing is, I'm naturally kind of a loudmouth.  I like ribald humor and tend to be obnoxious!  But when I'm out in public in Germany, I find myself trying not to be too obviously American.  And I definitely notice and cringe when other Americans are around, making themselves obvious!

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Ditto.

Ditto. Also more liberated. Got used to being nuddy in showers at the baths. I now have no qualms about nuddy bodies, either my own or anyone else's.

I became thicker skinned, more hard-nosed, grumpier, ruder, resentful, defensive and withdrawn. Because I had to in order to survive those terrible office jobs and even just to do the shopping:lol:. (Did someone mention trolleys being rammed up your arse?) Eventually left. Some of it I managed to shed, as you tend to reflect the people around you, although some of it has definitely stuck.

The art of saying "No" firmly and without apology was worth acquiring.

I lost my smile.

Germany did not improve me. Defintely much happier in France. Yes really,

I love the nude spas here.  Both my husband and I have body image issues, but one day, I just decided to go for it.  I took to the naked spas like a duck to water.  Pretty soon, he joined me!  It was definitely very liberating, especially when I noticed how little other people care about what your junk looks like in a nude spa in Germany.

I have also noticed myself becoming more assertive, too.  That's a good thing, but it's still hard for me, even when dealing with other Americans.  Actually, it's probably harder with other Americans, because our culture focuses so much on superficial niceness and conflict avoidance.  Germany has taught me that in the long run, being too nice can waste a lot of time.

I really enjoy food and drink alot more since I moved here. I also smile alot more than I did before. I also am very careful about the rubbish presort and recycling. I have also become more direct and assertive since I moved here.I think Germany has definitely changed me for the better.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

I lost my smile.

Yes, yes, and yes!! I definitely did the same just to survive here. And once I started doing it I felt like I got treated better!  Some colleague who comes from my culture of origin said I never smile or not enough. Yes, well let's see you in 10 years what you will look like!

Yep! I can agree with being more liberal and having no problem being nude in the showers at swimming pools.

I, too, became more hard-nosed, but I wouldn't say ruder. I'd say very direct, but Americans might perceive it as being ruder.

I think I may have also acquired the art of saying "No" firmly and without apology.

One thing I didn't see anyone mention yet, is that I have two different personalities, one when I speak German and one when I am speaking English, esp. with native English speakers-Americans in particular. I am louder and funnier in (American) English, to name a couple of things. Some of my German traits to spill over into my American self, when speaking English, as one can't separate everything.

What I forgot to mention is, I have also become friendlier. I noticed that Germans didn't take too well to me, and I realized that they were reflecting me. I hardly ever smiled (still have to remember to do it). But once I started making eye contact, smiling at people, and being the first to greet, people started treating me way better. So, in a nutshell, Germany has gotten me to come out of my shell more, and be a better person I think.

Also, it goes without saying that I didn't pay attention to the environment before. Now I do. I watch my water use especially, and aim for products with less or no packaging. I am definitely not a hippie, but these values have stuck, and I think they are good.

5 hours ago, ooch said:

Hi @dmbartender

I just watched one of your Autobahn videos.

Unfortunately you picked a poor 'Rettungsgasse' example.

Keep the 'Standstreifen' free if possible.

and yes you sound a bit german

and it was very nice to see this part of Bavaria again.

Spent a few years in Traunstein, Bernau, Rosenheim :-)

Hey, thanks for watching my other video(s). Well, I wanted to use the ADAC one, but I was afraid of copyright issues. I don't want to put hours of effort into the videos, for them to get taken down. I use Canva.com, and pay for a membership. Those pics and videos are copyright free. You are right though, the above is a better example.

Bernau is nice! I just joined a fishing club in Übersee, and have started exploring that area. Chiemsee of course is nice in general!

I have aged almost 40 years being here since 1982...

Plus have the same girl around since 1984 having never found anything in the UK.

Could be worse...

You have done well, HEM! You've aged and your wife is still a girl! You are a scholar and a gentleman👍

( I know, I know.. it is dangerous territory to " age " a woman etc ... )😂

A song from our common era dedicated to your wife!👍

https://youtu.be/-8l3ntDR_lI

The Ringautobahn in Tel Aviv has a 70 kmh speed limit. When I go there I am always the only one respecting this speed limit, not 1 kmh higher.

This is how Germany changed me.