Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

the reason I know you don't watch NBA is by the score.  85-79 is a score in a high school basketball game, where the skill level is comparably low.  Better players = higher scores.  A good NBA final score is more like 114-120.

LeBron or Jordan ?

I both like NBA and football. Don't like NHL since I can't see the small puck, also don't like American football, because of too many interruptions and baseball takes too long.

52 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Basketball, the world's most tedious sport.  Winning games by 85 to 79 devalues the relative celebration of each point. 

While an hour and a half of soccer with 1-0 or even better 0-0 is much more riveting.

:D

I always wondered why they bothered playing basketball for more than 5 minutes, since the majority of games the scores are usually fairly even and the game is only won or lost in the last 5 minutes of play?

Give me a game of test cricket, 5 days play and it can still end in a draw, that's real excitement!:D

Having said that, it has been a long time coming but  that was a great result and a good game of football this evening.:D:lol::D

11 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

it keeps people in work.

It also keeps a lot of people in $25 million + mansions.

9 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I always wondered why they bothered playing basketball for more than 5 minutes, since the majority of games the scores are usually fairly even and the game is only won or lost in the last 5 minutes of play?

Give me a game of test cricket, 5 days play and it can still end in a draw, that's real excitement!:D

Having said that, it has been a long time coming but  that was a great result and a good game of football this evening.:D:lol::D

I see basketball like I do F1 racing, check the first and last 5 minutes or so. As you say, the majority of games go evenly and the if anything exciting is going to happen, it will be at the end.

There are people in the world that cannot get their heads around being 200 runs ahead and it being a draw because it rained. 5 day cricket is just a relaxed spectator sport, I guess we Brits just like to take our time and lasting 5 days where others can only go for an hour, well... :ph34r:

My day at work is very, very quiet... Maybe I shouldn't have sent this around;

towel.jpg.e4399d50987796a90512d11a0b3a5b

I saw a picture of Our Boys celebrating after scoring, looked like a rugby scrum, a pile of people on the ground. Is there not a danger of injury in a scrum? 

Anyway...most importantly, England won. I enjoyed being irritatingly patronising to the Germans yesterday evening:  at least you won a game this tournament, at least you managed to stay in the tournament longer than the rest of your group etc, etc...ok, ok at least it kept me amused.

It wasn't the ideal way I'd have liked England to have won, as I'm still hoping for my all-out attacking midfield to shred an opponent. However, I guess that approach against Germany would have made England the next Portugal (indeed, the Germans seemed to expect England to play that way, and never really got around to changing tactics when it became clear that wasn't the plan). So, Southgate was proven right with his tactics, and Sterling was excellent too. 

Obviously, decades of experience tells me that England can still easily mess up from here, but it's hard to imagine them having a much better chance to reach the final. Ukraine didn't look that good yesterday. Not sure how much strength in depth Denmark have, and Belgium might even struggle this week if De Bruyne and Eden Hazard aren't fit. Italy are probably the form side.

Well done to the English team. It was one of those games where the result would turn on the few chances created. The Germans had 2 or 3 and fluffed theirs, whilst England had 2 or 3 and took theirs. 

Whilst the celebrations of the English fans were totally understandable, the continuing booing of German players when they had the ball, and of the German anthem, was unnecessary and showed a distinct lack of class.   It wouldn't surprise me if any idea the Germans had of English fair play, has taken a battering. 

I don't think the England team or fans make any particular claim to "fair play", and I doubt the German team are tearing their hair out wishing they hadn't grabbed or pulled anyone during the game as it might make them look bad.

4 hours ago, dstanners said:

Anyway...most importantly, England won. I enjoyed being irritatingly patronising to the Germans yesterday evening:  at least you won a game this tournament, at least you managed to stay in the tournament longer than the rest of your group etc, etc...ok, ok at least it kept me amused.

It wasn't the ideal way I'd have liked England to have won, as I'm still hoping for my all-out attacking midfield to shred an opponent. However, I guess that approach against Germany would have made England the next Portugal (indeed, the Germans seemed to expect England to play that way, and never really got around to changing tactics when it became clear that wasn't the plan). So, Southgate was proven right with his tactics, and Sterling was excellent too. 

Obviously, decades of experience tells me that England can still easily mess up from here, but it's hard to imagine them having a much better chance to reach the final. Ukraine didn't look that good yesterday. Not sure how much strength in depth Denmark have, and Belgium might even struggle this week if De Bruyne and Eden Hazard aren't fit. Italy are probably the form side.

I had fun this morning, dstanners! I was in a queue outside the Auslaenderamt in Harburg this morning and there was a tent next to the entrance with two security types in it to register one's presence at.

One was particularly chatty and friendly and mentioned he had bad eyesight since having lenses operated on some years ago.. at some stage, he asked me: " kommen Sie aus GrossBritannien?"

I answered yes and went on to add my eyes are also so bad I didn't even see the two goals England scored against Germany yesterday😂

He got the point and smiled... then we talked about the ex-Group of Death as a whole!!

9 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

the continuing booing of German players when they had the ball, and of the German anthem, was unnecessary and showed a distinct lack of class.   It wouldn't surprise me if any idea the Germans had of English fair play, has taken a battering.

There have been a few comments on this (far more than about the game). I wonder how many other football games people have watched? For example, in the very next game, the Ukrainians really weren't exactly clapping the Swedes politely each time they had the ball...or for that matter watch pretty much any professional football match and see how the away team is treated by the home fans. Whilst common to football, it's not unique to football either: I've been to Fenway Park enough times to know the away side and any away fans get plenty of stick.

Personally, I wouldn't jeer a national anthem (even my own, and we've got the worst of the lot), but that's because I'm not into jeering. That said, to my mind there's nothing inherently sacred about these often awful, largely Victorian-era songs which demands they are treated with some sort of reverence. Anyone claiming to be genuinely offended by having their song about what a wonderful country they have boo-ed by other countries' fans, is probably of too sensitive a disposition to watch sports anyway. 

It's the sheer rage that I see in people's faces when they are jeering that I find frightening. How does a person get like that? Are they like that around their spouses and kids? 

I'm not only talking about England.

14 minutes ago, dstanners said:

There have been a few comments on this (far more than about the game). I wonder how many other football games people have watched? For example, in the very next game, the Ukrainians really weren't exactly clapping the Swedes politely each time they had the ball...or for that matter watch pretty much any professional football match and see how the away team is treated by the home fans. Whilst common to football, it's not unique to football either: I've been to Fenway Park enough times to know the away side and any away fans get plenty of stick.

Personally, I wouldn't jeer a national anthem (even my own, and we've got the worst of the lot), but that's because I'm not into jeering. That said, to my mind there's nothing inherently sacred about these often awful, largely Victorian-era songs which demands they are treated with some sort of reverence. Anyone claiming to be genuinely offended by having their song about what a wonderful country they have boo-ed by other countries' fans, is probably of too sensitive a disposition to watch sports anyway. 

I think there's a bit of a difference between jeering opposition clubs as opposed to countries. I can't see a full scale war breaking out between Wolverhampton and West Brom for example.  When it comes to countries you are getting into politics, and even into sensitive areas such as race or religon. Given the particuar history of Britain and Germany, I would have thought that was very obvious.  

The national anthems are part of the official showpieces before the games, not spontaneous singalongs by parts of the crowd. It doesn't matter if the songs are awful. Its about showing respect to the opposition in a sporting fixture. Most people, if they've had any sort of education, ought to understand that. 

28 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

It's the sheer rage that I see in people's faces

Fair enough, it's not a pretty sight is it? I find all that "faux-nationalism" a real negative about supporting football. However, a lot of it is either pantomime, or merely for show. A few years ago, I certainly didn't have too much sympathy for the folk who had been singing "No surrender" in various continental bars, who suddenly had to run away when a genuinely nasty bunch of fighting Russians turned up.

21 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Still and all, the red faces, clenched teeth and spittle make for an unpleasant sight.

Some people invest a lot of themselves in to their club (any by extension the national team).

The clubs for tunes on the field are theirs, if the club loses they feel they lost, if the club wins, they feel they have won. It's a case of people associating themselves with a group of people (players) that don't know they exist and hanging their emotional well-being on them. 

I had a good friend way back in uni, if his team lost he would be in a bad mood for the whole Saturday evening. One saturday after a long long streak he was moody and I made the mistake of suggesting that, if his mood was dependent on the team winning maybe he should support a better team (I expect anyone who has grown up supporting a team for where they were born is now looking at a screen full of coffee they tried to throw at me and wishing they hadn't done that).

No joke, he didn't speak to me for about a month, could even have been longer. We were even out with our friend group a few times and he didn't look or speak to me at all. Looking back it was sad as f*ck, we'd know each other for years and been in a few scrapes around the town a few times but that suggestion was, I can't even say what it was. It caused him to not speak to me for a month or so. I had less to do with him after that, made me realize that  we all suffered the teams defeat through him. 

I've been on the bus behind some Newcastle supporters as the bus passed the team training. They spoke to them as if they were friends, family, people they actually knew. Maybe they did, but even if they didn't it's not uncommon for people to identify that closely with the players.

I have never understood it, putting your emotional well being on some players. There is data suggesting that incidents of domestic violence go up when england lose (i'd guess this is the same for any team if it's correct). I can't say if any studies have been carried out but if it is true, that just shows how closely some people identify with their team and how a loss affects them. Anger and violence are just part of it for some of them.

47 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

I think there's a bit of a difference between jeering opposition clubs as opposed to countries. I can't see a full scale war breaking out between Wolverhampton and West Brom for example.  When it comes to countries you are getting into politics, and even into sensitive areas such as race or religon. Given the particuar history of Britain and Germany, I would have thought that was very obvious.  

The national anthems are part of the official showpieces before the games, not spontaneous singalongs by parts of the crowd. It doesn't matter if the songs are awful. Its about showing respect to the opposition in a sporting fixture. Most people, if they've had any sort of education, ought to understand that. 

I have never understood why it's a thing to play germany. To draw attention to the last times we won anything against them. 1966 and two world wars. It's basically saying 'these are the only things we can find to sing about'.

Singing about things other people did, which fits in with the emotional dependency I guess. 

I'm happy that we won and i'd really really like us to win the tournament even if that means having to out up with countless FB posts from friends I have who suffer from the   "faux-nationalism" dstanners mentioned. I only have a few left as some  seemed to think I was a stand in for a german person when when we win or lose to germany.  They either want me to be sad germany lost so they can feel like a winner or they want me to be super sad when england lose to prove I'm still english.

No one has time to bother with prats who are like that. 

It is only a minority however, the majority of people enjoy football in a normal sensible way, much like the majority are able to drink responsibly (although for that we'd have to define responsible in that particular case :lol:  ).    

3 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

There is data suggesting that incidents of domestic violence go up when england lose (i'd guess this is the same for any team if it's correct).

Funny you mentioned that. I looked into some of those faces and spontaneously thought, "I bet he beats his wife.".

I totally get the emotions, the excitement, the wins and the defeats. Been there with "my own" teams. These days I don't get emotional unless I have some skin in the game.:)

I think the pro players get accustomed to the yelling, spittle and bared teeth very early on.

When my twin boys were about  6 they were keen to have a go at footy and we took them to a local kids club to hopefully have fun and be taught the basics. After a couple of weeks was the first match. Suddenly the sidelines were occupied by raving parents, screeching at the kiddies. One of mine, probably a bit dazed by the noise, picked up the ball and ran the wrong way up the pitch towards the enemy goal ... Not a smile in sight!

Shame he never had the chance to learn rugby!

Didn't subject them to that again.